The rumour mill is starting to heat up as the NHL Draft is just a hair over two weeks away.
“Strong interest” in Miller and Boeser
In unsurprising news, teams around the league are calling the Vancouver Canucks about forwards J.T. Miller and Brock Boeser.
“It seems like it’s open season for the Vancouver Canucks,” said TSN’s Darren Dreger on Tuesday’s edition of Insider Trading. “It’s not a fire sale, so don’t misunderstand that, but we’re talking about J.T. Miller and we’re talking about Brock Boeser.
“There is strong market interest in both those players. There isn’t a Stanley Cup Playoff team to this point, including the Avalanche and Lightning, who couldn’t see J.T. Miller as being a good add to what they already have. The Vancouver Canucks are interested in listening.”
Miller, whose incredibly valuable deal worth just $5.25 million has found himself in trade rumours for some time now, as multiple teams showed interest in him around the 2022 Trade Deadline.
The Canucks have made it clear that if they can’t come to an agreement with Miller and his camp on an extension heading into the draft, they’re not going to be afraid to make a big splash with a trade this offseason.
Boeser, 25, put 23 goals and 23 assists last season and is a restricted free agent this offseason.
Capitals linked to Miller
As we speculated yesterday, the Washington Capitals have reportedly entered the J.T. Miller sweepstakes after losing Niklas Backstrom to hip surgery.
“I’ve heard [Nazem] Kadri’s name connected to the Capitals, I’ve heard Miller’s name connected to the Capitals,” said Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet during a Tuesday appearance on Donnie and Dhali – The Team.
After putting up 99 points this past season, plenty of teams are interested in adding Miller to their team, as he’s a cost-efficient option for next season and would instantly bolster virtually any team’s top six forward group.
- Carolina’s Ethan Bear has been given permission to talk to other teams, should the Canucks be interested?
- Two new potential trade partners seemingly just became big players in the J.T. Miller sweepstakes
- Monday Mailbag: Jett Woo’s future, predicting Andrei Kuzmenko’s rookie NHL season, and the debut of the #MM comment section questions
- Michael Bublé on the “night and day” difference in the Canucks’ locker room after cleaning house in December
- NHL Draft: Who’s rising, who’s falling, and how it affects the Canucks at pick number 15