Canucks prospect Joni Jurmo named to Team Finland for 2022 World Juniors
Photo credit:Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports
By Mike Gould1 year ago
Vancouver Canucks defence prospect Joni Jurmo has been selected to play for Team Finland at the 2022 IIHF Men’s World Junior Championship next month.
Jurmo, 20, is a 6’4″, 198-pound left-handed defenceman who scored two goals and 10 points in 50 games with Jokerit in the top-tier Finnish Liiga during the 2021–22 regular season.
The Canucks originally selected Jurmo in the third round (No. 82 overall) of the 2020 NHL Draft. He was their first of five selections in 2020.
Jurmo was not initially selected to play for Team Finland when the 2022 World Juniors were set to take place at their usual time (December 2021 to January 2022). The decision to postpone the tournament and start from scratch gave Jurmo another chance to crack the Finnish roster.
Jurmo is the only Canucks prospect on Team Finland. He joins a defensive group that also includes Eemil Viro (Detroit Red Wings), Topi Niemela (Toronto Maple Leafs), Matias Rajaniemi (New York Islanders), Ruben Rafkin (undrafted), Aleksi Heimosalmi (Carolina Hurricanes), Kasper Puutio (Florida Panthers), and Petteri Nurmi (Montreal Canadiens).
The 2022 IIHF Men’s World Junior Championship will take place in Edmonton, Alberta from August 9 to 20, 2022.
- The Thatcher Demko contract keeps getting better, and will go down as the best Jim Benning ever signed
- 7 reasons for Vancouver Canucks fans to get excited for next season
- Vasily Podkolzin on J.T. Miller’s leadership, Elias Pettersson’s “different level”, and Bruce Boudreau being a great coach
- Ian Clark on what the Canucks like about 2022 goaltending draft pick Ty Young
- Could the Canucks and John Klingberg still be waiting for one another?
- Monday Mailbag: The dark horse at training camp, Canucks prospects taking over Sweden’s World Junior team, and Alan Jackson’s Freight Train
- Honourable mentions from our 2022 Vancouver Canucks top prospects list
- Report: Canucks’ new Reverse Retro jersey apparently leaked, featuring 1962 Johnny Canuck logo
- Why the Canucks are better off waiting until 2023 to sign a defenceman
Recent articles from Mike Gould