Canucks news: Nic Petan in talks with KHL club, Canucks expected to lose rights to D Toni Utunen
Photo credit:© Perry Nelson-USA TODAY Sports
11 months ago
Folks, we’ve got news. Small news, but news nonetheless.
According to Rick Dhaliwal of Donnie and Dhali – The Team, Nic Petan is in talks with KHL club Omsk Avangard, but no deal is done yet.
Petan signed a one-year deal with the Canucks last offseason, scoring 12 goals and 32 assists through 37 games with Abbotsford, and registering two assists through 18 games with the big club.
The 27-year-old Delta, BC native has spent his entire hockey career in North America up to this point.
Toni Utunen, who the Canucks selected in the fifth round in 2018, is not expected to be signed by the club, according to Utunen’s agent.
At 5’10, Utunen is a bit of an undersized defence-first defenceman, and it’s not really a surprise that the Canucks don’t have interest in bringing him to North America.
The 22-year-old Utunen put up 11 points through 59 games last season in the top Finnish league, Liiga.
Today is the deadline for the Canucks to sign Utunen before they lose his rights.
- ‘I told him no’: Gino Odjick says Micheal Ferland called him and asked if he should try to return to the Canucks
- A conversation with Canucks D prospect Hugo Gabrielson about the “ups and downs” of his first year of pro hockey
- Laying the odds on 15 NHL teams’ chances at landing J.T. Miller for next season
- Report: Canucks intend to add two new assistant coaches for next season
- Exploring 8 potential trade partners and packages for Canucks forward J.T. Miller
- Canucks add Sedins, Mikael Samuelsson, and Mike Komisarek to player development department
- Stars owner says Travis Green would be a candidate to fill head coaching position
- Monday Mailbag: A sleeper team to trade for Miller, quantity or quality in the 2022 draft, and predicting Linus Karlsson’s rookie AHL season
- 4 money in, money out trades the Canucks should explore that will create a faster path to contention
- 5 scenarios that can get the Canucks into the top-five of the 2022 Draft (and finally land them a franchise RHD)
- Examining 11+ UFA defenders worth targeting as the Canucks rebuild their blue line this offseason
- The Arizona Coyotes are out of control and it’s time for the NHL to take action
- 14 RFA offer sheet targets for the Vancouver Canucks in the summer of 2022
Recent articles from David Quadrelli