Welcome back to Around the League — the column here at CanucksArmy where we examine news from around the National Hockey League, oftentimes through a Vancouver Canucks-tinted lens!
We got some bad news out of Pittsburgh this morning. On Wednesday, the Pittsburgh Penguins announced that longtime defenceman Kris Letang will be out indefinitely after suffering a stroke.
“Kris reported symptoms to the training staff on Monday and was immediately taken to the hospital for testing,” Penguins GM Ron Hextall said. “The test results were shocking to hear, but we are grateful that Kris is doing well. We are thankful to the medical staff and the physicians at UMPC. He is a warrior on the ice, but first and foremost, he is a son, father, husband and friend. His health is our number one priority.”
Letang had previously suffered a minor stroke in 2014. Letang was born with a small hole in his heart, which is believed to be related to his strokes.
“I am fortunate to know my body well enough to recognize when something isn’t right,” Letang said. “While it is difficult to navigate this issue publicly, I am hopeful it can raise awareness. It is important for me that my teammates, family and the fans know that I am okay. I am optimistic that I will be back on the ice soon.”
Letang’s career is not believed to be in jeopardy. Through 962 NHL games with the Penguins, Letang has tallied 145 goals and 517 assists.
There’s no Canucks spin on this one. All anyone wants right now is for Kris Letang to get healthy enough and can make a return so that he can finish off his illustrious career on his terms.