As soon as news of John Tortorella’s hiring by the Blue Jackets broke we had Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy join the show to share tales of the last time the coach was seen behind the bench, during his lone and very turbulent season in Vancouver.
While having him on the line, the current edition of the Canucks came up during the discussion. He offered up his thoughts on whether Ryan Miller’s “new” (but technically old) style will continue to provide better results, how long Willie Desjardins’ leash on the struggling Hamhuis and Bartkowski pairing will be, and whether there’s space on the roster for both Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann.
For those that may be interested in specific topics I’ve gone ahead and listed the rundown (though I’d obviously recommend listening to the whole thing from start to finish!):
- 2:10 – 9:05 John Tortorella’s tenure in Vancouver
- 9:06 – 13:13 Jake Virtanen vs. Jared McCann
- 13:14 – 14:44 Radim Vrbata with the Sedins
- 14:45 – 17:46 Ryan Miller’s technique changes and improved play
- 17:47 – 22:01 Jim Benning’s asset management
- 22:02 – 26:18 Ben Hutton’s impressive play and the defence pairings as a whole
- 26:19 – 28:26 Striking a fine balance between on-ice vs. off-ice qualities
If you’ve enjoyed this particular episode of the podcast and you’d like to give the others a shot, you can do so over at the Hockey PDOcast‘s website, iTunes, or Soundcloud depending on your personal preference.
Thanks for listening!