Nation Sites
The Nation Network
CanucksArmy has no direct affiliation to the Vancouver Canucks, Canucks Sports & Entertainment, NHL, or NHLPA
Seravalli: ‘Growing suspicion’ from NHL teams that Elias Pettersson is traded this season

Photo credit: © David Kirouac-Imagn Images
Jan 19, 2026, 20:04 ESTUpdated: Jan 20, 2026, 13:52 EST
Could the departure of top Vancouver Canucks centreman Elias Pettersson be coming sooner than anyone thought possible?
Amidst the Canucks’ rapid pivot to a rebuild, one thing is becoming clear: the team is open to offers on any of their core players if the price is right. Earlier this season it was Quinn Hughes, this week it was Kiefer Sherwood, and it could soon be Pettersson.
Joining Sportsnet 590 The FAN on Monday, NHL insider Frank Seravalli reported that teams across the league believe Pettersson could be traded this season, and potentially soon.
“I think there’s definitely a growing suspicion from teams that (an Elias Pettersson trade) happens this year. There are some thinking maybe even before the Olympics,” Seravalli said. “That feels kinda quick, but the Canucks have been in the spot where they’re ready and willing to consider anything and everything pretty much throughout the course of the organization.”
The NHL’s Olympic roster freeze begins on February 4th, meaning if the Canucks really are keen on getting something done before then, they have just over two weeks. As the Canucks’ first-line centre, Pettersson is obviously a key piece for the team, and at 27 years old, he’s hardly past his prime. But the once 100-point player has seen a rapid decline in his statline over the past few seasons. So far this year, he has 29 points in 40 games.
Seravalli added later on Sportsnet 650’s Canucks Central that he believes the return in a Pettersson trade would be better than what the Canucks got for JT Miller, which is making the team consider a move. On Sportsnet, he expanded on the market situation that is making Pettersson such a valuable asset.
“Look at the deals signed for Dvorak and Wennberg, $5.15 million for Dvorak and $6 million for Wennberg,” Seravalli said. “All of a sudden you turn around and you look at Elias Pettersson and you say, if we believe this is a guy we can rejuvenate, get his career going with a change of scenery, all of a sudden $11.6 million a year doesn’t sound like a crazy risk profile.”
Seravalli noted the Carolina Hurricanes as “one of a handful of teams” calling the Canucks right now, with the overwhelming interest being another reason to look into moving Pettersson. Of course, the Swedish forward holds a full no-movement clause, so he would have to approve of any deal Vancouver makes.
Later in the day, Seravalli went on Oilers Now and said that teams are “beating down the Canucks’ door” for Pettersson, and added that there has been “real and significant” interest in Pettersson over the last 10 days.
Recent articles from Dylan Nazareth
- Ryan Johnson not shy about his interest in Manny Malhotra after Canucks fire Foote
- Rutherford to step down from day-to-day operations after draft, will remain with Canucks as advisor and Alternate Governor
- Quinn Hughes declining long-term extension killed agreed upon trade between Canucks and Red Wings: report
Breaking News
- Canucks prospect Gabe Chiarot talks Memorial Cup, midseason trade, and more
- Can the Canucks invest to become one of the best NHL clubs at developing young defencemen?: Canucks Conversation.
- Mike Gillis believes Ryan Johnson and the Sedins are exactly what Canucks need right now
- 2026 NHL Draft Targets: 4 mid first-round options for the Canucks if they trade up or down
- Caleb Malhotra on Canucks’ draft interest, his family, and more
