CanucksArmy Game Day: Capital management, the meme crowd, and Demko for Hart?
Photo credit:Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports
By Always90four1 year ago
Taking Advantage of A Good Situation
The Canucks travel East to play the Senators and they get yet another team on the second leg of a back-to-back. Vancouver pulled out a win against the Oilers on Saturday after Edmonton had faced the Jets the night before. They also had the Leafs coming in playing their second game in as many nights and took advantage of them as well.
Still no Elias Pettersson but it sounds like Tyler Motte is on the trip, so that’s great news!
Ottawa has beat up a few of the North’s best teams lately but you can’t beat the best team if you’re the worst (insert that guy tapping his head meme).
Let’s Do This!™
Congrats to The Senators on a Monumental Achievement (they’ve been around this long and haven’t won?)
Updates, Updates, Updates
Maybe you’re forgetful like me so you already forgot Tyler Motte is on the road trip. He probably won’t play today but there’s a good chance he plays on the trip. Why take a chance with COVID otherwise, am I right?
No updates for Pettersson or Antoine Roussel but Tyler Graovac is on “the squad” so he could be activated if needed.
Little known fact: the Senators play in Kanata, not Ottawa. Maybe the Canucks should relocate to Surrey or Abbotsford for better taxes? Then they could afford to pay their coaching staff! Win-win.
Memes, Forever Demko, A Tyler Resurgence, and Edler Scrolls
- The Senators have embraced the “Sickos” meme online and have turned it into a fundraiser. These might be the only real fans that cheer for Ottawa. I’ve yet to meet a real one in the wild.
- Thatcher Demko has become an elite goaltender and the bubble was no fluke. He’s a win away from tying Jacob Markstrom with 10 and his SV% is quickly climbing into the .920 range. He currently has registered at least a .900 SV% in 11 of his 20 games played so far and only four goalies have a higher Sv/60. Simply put, Thatcher is everything to the Canucks right now.
- Demko should get Hart votes is what I’m basically saying.
- With Motte on the road trip, Graovac on the squad, and Myers already playing, the Canucks could be back to a full ensemble of Tylers and the Canucks were in a better place when they had them all available. Jokes aside, having Motte in the lineup would be a big boost to the speed of the team, the intensity, and the goal column. Motte still sits at five goals but he is averaging one every three games.
- Alex Edler still sits at 99 career goals; he hasn’t scored at all this season. He’s been taken off PP1 but his importance eating up big minutes can’t be understated. He’ll score eventually and a team like the Senators would be a great weight off his shoulders.
- Nikita Tryamkin is done in the KHL and decisions need to be made. It seems like people are torn on whether or not he should be a Canuck once again. There could be a big upside (yes, pun intended) having Myers and Tryamkin on the back end and if he brings a physical dominance and even an offensive boost to this team, signing him on the cheap could be a steal. He wasn’t utilized properly with Willie Desjardins and there also wasn’t a stellar back end when he was here either. I’ve been iffy on him, but honestly, how much worse could this team get?
PowerGlove™ Player of the Game
- Nils Höglander gets the vote for player of the game. Elias Pettersson feasted on the Senators for five points in his rookie season and by no means is Nils of Pettersson ilk, but he has the grind to make a multi-point game happen. What if tonight was the game the lacrosse goal was scored?
Things I’m Looking Forward To
- Early start time with nowhere to be.
- News of Pettersson’s return against a mediocre Senators team.
- Russell Wilson staying with the Seahawks.
Recent articles from Always90four