CanucksArmy Game Day: EP Applause, Demko Time, and could 1040 be getting a revival?
Photo credit:Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports
By Always90four2 years ago
LEAFS HUH, ALRIGHT, WELL… SEE YA LATER
Simply put, the Toronto Maple Leafs are in a class all their own. They have no business being in the North Division, brought to you by a bank, other than they’re Canadian and they’re forced to be there. The Leafs are 9-1-1 on the road and have a convincing 7-2-1 record in their last 10 games.
Knowing what we know, the Canucks are in trouble. Could Vancouver win this evening? Sure, why not? When they have a goaltender that doesn’t make everyone question what a save looks like (not turtle guy) and a 5v5 attack that is manageable, they can win games. The power play needs a bit of work but I already said “knowing what we know”.
Your Vancouver Canucks were outscored 16-4 in the Centre of the Universe series but they were just embarrassed by Montreal prior to that so the wound was still fresh. Tonight, the Canucks will need to stick to a highly-disciplined game and they’ll have to be fast or the Leafs will put them away early.
It could be fun in this one but like the Matrix, we’ve been down this road before, we know where it goes.
Let’s Do This!™
When Is Change Coming?
Thatcher Demko has to be the goalie going forward as he’s been the Canucks’ only constant. As for the forward group, Zack MacEwen should see action again and it’s anyone’s guess as to when Olli Juolevi gets another shot. As the games start to fade we’ll probably start seeing Utica callups.
Auston Matthews returned against the Oilers but failed to get on the scoresheet. Jason Spezza, however, is red hot because why wouldn’t he be? He did a number on the Canucks a month ago but should they really be focusing on him? Hopefully not, as that could be a recipe for disaster if you focus on THOSE guys.
Put Your Hands Up For Elias, Radio Redux, The Powerless Play
- Don Taylor went to Twitter yesterday to tease that the gang might be getting back together and wouldn’t that be the best news ever? Digital stations are the future so finding a way to launch via streaming apps will be a winning decision. Look at Rob Fai right now, he got in early and the masses responded. Advertising has so many more options and sponsors aren’t limited to finite options. The digital landscape will prevail.
- Rob Williams of Daily Hive had this to say:
One source told Daily Hive that there’s been talk about an all-sports streaming site being set up, involving a local marketing and advertising agency with ties to TSN 1040. There has also been talk about shifting the format of an existing FM radio station to all-sports.
So you’re saying there’s a chance?
- The decision to move Elias Pettersson to the strong side has already paid dividends with his applause-worthy wrister against the Jets. It was in a losing effort but the shot was very much a winner. His clap-bomb has been showing up regularly but with multiple options for pass or shot on the other side, he becomes a more dynamic part of the man advantage.
- Vancouver’s power play is among the worst in the NHL which isn’t anything new, but they do look lost, don’t they? Their new-look PP1 barely entered the zone against the Jets but the second unit converted almost right away. The setup looks right but they need to stop overthinking everything. Quinn Hughes and Elias Pettersson are phenomenal at zone entries but they look like they have fake IDs and are convinced the bouncer will call them on it. This is a good unit, it just needs to be confident.
- They’re getting the most PP opportunities of almost anyone, save Ottawa. They’re moving their legs so what’s the big deal? How hard could it honestly be to score in the NHL; I do it all the time in Chel.
- William Nylander is currently a Maple Leaf but apparently, he isn’t a star for them despite 10G/10A season thus far. Imagine feeling the exact same way about Nylander as Canucks Nation feels about Jake Virtanen. That’s how some Leafs fans feel about Nylander, and no I’m not kidding. Two players on polar opposites of the talent spectrum. Unbelievable.
- What would a Tanner Pearson for Nylander trade look like? I’m serious. Stop keyboard warrior hating and give me your dealz. No one is going to show up to your house and call you on it. Be the GM, what deal gets it done?
PowerGlove™ Player of the Game
This hasn’t been a very good spot for predictions so you know what, Tyler Myers. That’s who gets it done tonight. Might be a goal, heck, it could even be a big hit or maybe just maybe he’ll reel off three-straight penalties again. Big Tex is my vote to rock Nintendo’s lost gem.
What I’m Looking Forward To Tonight
The week is almost through but I can’t wait for a pizza, my new sleep mask, Brock Boeser going bardown, and a DQ Blizzard.
Can I Call It?
Recent articles from Always90four