Canucks Army Postgame: Sedinery Helps Validate "the Process"

Dimitri Filipovic
October 28 2013 11:48PM


The Sedinery was strong in this one.

In the preview I highlighted two reasons this could be an exciting affair; Alex Ovechkin's brilliant play, and the troubles the Washington Capitals have had in stopping opposing teams from doing what they've wanted to against them thus far. One of those came true, and considering that this is a Canucks blog, I'm sure that many of our readers will be happy with which one it was.

Read on past the jump for a recap of how the Vancouver Canucks were able to win their 4th straight game en route to improving their record on the season to an impressive 9-4-1. I'll give you a quick hint: it had to do with the picture above.

The Rundown

The game got off to quite the start when Alex Edler took Ovechkin in as we went to the net just 1:19 in. It was a rather dubious call as Ovechkin didn't even really seem to have possession of the puck, but whatever.. as a fan of hockey that was exciting as heck, and Luongo stopped him - improving to 21/24 on penalty shots in his career - so no harm was done by the questionable decision. I'll get to Ovechkin later, but that was one of the only moments in the entire game that saw him be al that dangerous.

Kassian, reunited with Santorelli and Higgins on this particular play - a trio whose tires I've been pumping for a few games now - scored on a sweet shot as he came down the right wing with speed and fired it past Neuvirth. The Caps goalie probably should've had that one, which was made obvious by the "man I wish I was back in witness protection" look that Adam Oates had on his face following it, but regardless it was a nice play by Kassian. 

Speaking of Kassian..

I think the "crappy" part is referring to the awfully lazy backcheck he put together on the 2nd goal by the Capitals, as he casually glided down the ice while Grabovski skated right by him for the goal. It didn't help his cause that Jason Chimera - a player he'd be jawing back and forth with all game - put together a great effort to set the play up. Unfortunately at this point of his career you've got to take the bad with Kassian, especially if he keeps putting forth the good as often as he has lately..

It's time we get to Tom Sestito, who was quite frankly abysmal in this game. I sang his praises (well not really, but I said he "wasn't useless", which is quite the compliment all things considered) after the game against the Blues, but his lumbering and awkward nature played a part in both goals by the visitors on this night. He hardly saw the ice after the 2nd one, and then there was this comment by Tortorella:

Luongo had a quiet night altogether, only facing 19 shots (of which he stopped 17). His .895 save% won't do anything to help satisfy the people who continue to cite his October numbers and discuss his struggles, but on a night like this he did enough to get the job done. It's hard to take issue with his performance, so I won't.

There's not too much to say about Alex Burrows' outing in his return to the lineup, other than that he looked healthy, and didn't suffer a setback. He played just under 16 minutes - mostly with Higgins and Santorelli on the team's 2nd line - and on the 2nd unit power play, and registered 3 shots on goal. It's good to have him back.

Highlight of the Night 

.. so you're probably wondering why I haven't talked about the Sedins and Kesler yet, and it's because I've been saving the best for last. Just a minute after the Capitals took a 2-1 lead early in the 3rd, Kesler tied it right back up with a wicked slapper from in close following a juicy rebound. It's impossible to say for sure, but given his history of nifty plays and creativity, it sure looks like Daniel intentionally redirected it to an open Kesler with his skate on that play. Fantastic.

Then just a few minutes later, this happened:

The Youtube clip actually doesn't do it justice, because the play initially started with Kesler entering the offensive zone with 15:50 left in the period. The Canucks went on to control possession for 51 seconds, with everyone on the ice getting in on the fun. The sweet shot by Daniel finished off what was such a classically dominant clinic put on by the Sedins and Co. Someone needs to pinch Ryan Kesler at this point.

The Numbers


Image via Extra Skater.

But there's more... 

As you can see from the shot attempt graphic above this was a great 'believe in the process' game. The Canucks dominated the 2nd period but had nothing to show for it, but eventually things broke open for them in the 3rd.

The top line for the Canucks - which once again played over 23 minutes on the night - was on the ice for 20 shot attempts for, and only 9 against. The end result was pretty clearly Ovechkin's worst performance of the season. A commendable effort by the Canucks on that front, to be sure. I should also point out that Ovechkin also saw the Hamhuis/Tanev pairing for nearly 2/3 of his 5v5 shifts.

Coming into Monday night's game the special teams play was definitely something to keep an eye on, seeing as the Capitals had excelled in that area; they were 11/41 on the PP, and had killed off 33 of 37 man advantages. The Capitals had 4 opportunities on this night, but only managed 4 shots on goal during that time and weren't able to generate a goal. 

There was also the consternation amongst Canucks fans about the fact that the team couldn't really draw any penalties through 13 games. They had 6 PP opportunities in this one, and while they didn't score a goal, they managed 20 shot attempts (and 15 actual shots on goal) in just under 11 minutes of 5v4 play. You just have to think that if this keeps up they'll go on a successful run sooner rather than later..

One final thought: who knew that Martin Erat was even playing in this game? At least the Capitals didn't give up a top prospect for him or anything like that.

7482b25b962fb1661ea9028fb4e0db36
Dimitri Filipovic writes about hockey on the internet, and is the Managing Editor of Canucks Army. You can follow him on Twitter @DimFilipovic, and email him at dimitri.filipovic@gmail.com.
Avatar
#1 Matt
October 29 2013, 12:08AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
7
props

That Fenwick chart makes me all kinds of giddy.

Avatar
#2 Austin Wallace
October 29 2013, 12:11AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
33
props

Especially after tonight, I have noticed a pervading sense of optimism around the fanbase. It is a nice change from the doom and gloom that has been hanging around for the past while, and I want you all to remember what it feels like. What it is like to have Kesler 4th in the league in goal scoring, Henrik the second-leading point scorer. Having a real second line centre freeing up Kesler to move to the wing. Hamhuis and Garrison both arguably in contention for a spot on team Canada while Bieksa leads the league in plus-minus. Luongo with his best October in.... A long time. A team that acts like a team, works as a team. Doesn't dive (much). Doesn't whine (as much). A team that can win all of these games without half of their starting wingers.

Remember this, because there will be times this season when this team, this same team, will look absolutely terrible. Torts will be lambasted in the media for ____, the Sedins will be soft and we won't have any depth. We will be on a losing streak and the comments will be erupting. When that happens (and you know it will), remember that this is the same team as this one. This team is just about as good as we think, but all too often, this is forgotten amongst the immediacy of a slump. For the fancy-stats group out there, our PDO isn't unsustainable (100.6 before this game) and individual performances are mostly sustainable (Kesler is playing 23 minutes a night, shooting more and playing offensive minutes with the Sedins, so his regression shouldn't be earth-shattering. Santorelli could fall back to earth, and Garrison might not score quite as much, but that is about it).

This team is good. Even when they are in a rut, they are still a good team. We won't be the favourite going into the playoffs, but we have a chance to make some noise. And if every year, we have a real chance to go deep in the playoffs, I am happy with that.

Remember what this optimism feels like, in a few months you might need it.

Avatar
#3 Hard Puck City
October 29 2013, 12:58AM
Trash it!
30
trashes
+1
4
props

@Matt

Charts.LOL. This is competitive sports, not the stock market. LOL

Avatar
#4 Austin Wallace
October 29 2013, 01:12AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
12
props

Well the fact that we outshot the Caps by that much is awesome. Fancy chart aside.

Avatar
#5 argoleas
October 29 2013, 01:43AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
6
props
Austin Wallace wrote:

Especially after tonight, I have noticed a pervading sense of optimism around the fanbase. It is a nice change from the doom and gloom that has been hanging around for the past while, and I want you all to remember what it feels like. What it is like to have Kesler 4th in the league in goal scoring, Henrik the second-leading point scorer. Having a real second line centre freeing up Kesler to move to the wing. Hamhuis and Garrison both arguably in contention for a spot on team Canada while Bieksa leads the league in plus-minus. Luongo with his best October in.... A long time. A team that acts like a team, works as a team. Doesn't dive (much). Doesn't whine (as much). A team that can win all of these games without half of their starting wingers.

Remember this, because there will be times this season when this team, this same team, will look absolutely terrible. Torts will be lambasted in the media for ____, the Sedins will be soft and we won't have any depth. We will be on a losing streak and the comments will be erupting. When that happens (and you know it will), remember that this is the same team as this one. This team is just about as good as we think, but all too often, this is forgotten amongst the immediacy of a slump. For the fancy-stats group out there, our PDO isn't unsustainable (100.6 before this game) and individual performances are mostly sustainable (Kesler is playing 23 minutes a night, shooting more and playing offensive minutes with the Sedins, so his regression shouldn't be earth-shattering. Santorelli could fall back to earth, and Garrison might not score quite as much, but that is about it).

This team is good. Even when they are in a rut, they are still a good team. We won't be the favourite going into the playoffs, but we have a chance to make some noise. And if every year, we have a real chance to go deep in the playoffs, I am happy with that.

Remember what this optimism feels like, in a few months you might need it.

By this time next month, the team would have played 2 more games vs SJS, 2 vs LAK, and a game vs Hawks, Ducks, and Leafs. This will be a good test as well. The injuries and the immense ice time for the top line still worries me.

Avatar
#6 Cam Charron
October 29 2013, 01:56AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
16
props
Hard Puck City wrote:

Charts.LOL. This is competitive sports, not the stock market. LOL

Down with information!

Actually, a lot of people seem to not be able to tell the difference between a chart and a graph. It bothers me.

Avatar
#7 nateb123
October 29 2013, 01:56AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
6
props

@Hard Puck City

Someone forgot to take their meds today...

Avatar
#8 Hard Puck City
October 29 2013, 03:23AM
Trash it!
10
trashes
+1
1
props

@nateb123

Comment removed.

Avatar
#9 Hard Puck City
October 29 2013, 03:25AM
Trash it!
17
trashes
+1
1
props

@Cam Charron

Comment removed.

Avatar
#10 Riot Squad
October 29 2013, 04:10AM
Trash it!
11
trashes
+1
5
props

@Austin Wallace

Comment removed.

Avatar
#11 NM00
October 29 2013, 07:20AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
10
props

@Austin Wallace

While this was no doubt a dominating performance by the Canucks, let's wait until we see how this team plays against the better competition of the Western Conference.

The Canucks aren't the only team to beat up on Eastern fodder...

Avatar
#12 pheenster
October 29 2013, 08:12AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
2
props
NM00 wrote:

While this was no doubt a dominating performance by the Canucks, let's wait until we see how this team plays against the better competition of the Western Conference.

The Canucks aren't the only team to beat up on Eastern fodder...

Happy to see my "eastern fodder" theory getting some traction.

Avatar
#13 Cam Charron
October 29 2013, 08:45AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
30
props

Okay, time to ban Hard Puck City. Don't think he's adding much to the discussion here.

UPDATE: Hmm. Seems Hard Puck City and Riot Squad were posting from the same Surrey IP address.

Avatar
#14 PB
October 29 2013, 09:23AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
13
props

@Cam Charron

About time. I wonder if it's also Surrey Bob's basement?

Avatar
#15 andyg
October 29 2013, 09:32AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
3
props

One thing that i like about Torts so far.

Players like Kassian are getting ice time even when they make rookie mistakes.This bodes well for any new players that come in over the next few years.

Avatar
#16 DCR
October 29 2013, 09:58AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
1
props

I liked the win, but I'm still concerned about the Power Play.

0/6 just isn't good enough. I'm hoping it's just the percentages, because it's looking ugly. (The dearth of PPs has just added to the issue, as the fewer there are, the longer it can take to regress.)

Avatar
#17 NM00
October 29 2013, 10:03AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
4
props
pheenster wrote:

Happy to see my "eastern fodder" theory getting some traction.

Not sure why you're trying to discover the weakness of the Eastern conference as though you are Christopher Columbus...

Avatar
#18 Unknown Comic
October 29 2013, 10:29AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
2
props

Was a penalty shot missed when Alzner shot the glove at Sedin?

Avatar
#19 Ted
October 29 2013, 11:32AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
2
props

Really liking Torts and his style. He doesn't mind mixing it up and trying different things. That way you have a better idea of what you have. I wish AV did a bit more of that especially when the offence dried up.

We have our key guys playing in key roles but the extra minutes on the main guys is concerning. I'm assuming Torts has a plan in regards to that!

Avatar
#20 Ted
October 29 2013, 11:33AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
2
props
NM00 wrote:

Not sure why you're trying to discover the weakness of the Eastern conference as though you are Christopher Columbus...

Does this even make sense?! Anyone?

Avatar
#21 The Voice In The Dark
October 29 2013, 11:57AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
3
props
Ted wrote:

Really liking Torts and his style. He doesn't mind mixing it up and trying different things. That way you have a better idea of what you have. I wish AV did a bit more of that especially when the offence dried up.

We have our key guys playing in key roles but the extra minutes on the main guys is concerning. I'm assuming Torts has a plan in regards to that!

I agree and love what Torts is doing so far. It used to frustrate me to no end seeing AV keep on trying the same thing, over and over, expecting things to just magically work themselves out.

I also have no problem with him playing the top guys as much as possible. They're top players for a reason. I'd rather see the Sedins and Kesler play 20-23 minutes a night than have the Taylor Pyatts of the world playing 15 minutes per game.

Avatar
#22 Ted
October 29 2013, 12:26PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
+1
2
props
The Voice In The Dark wrote:

I agree and love what Torts is doing so far. It used to frustrate me to no end seeing AV keep on trying the same thing, over and over, expecting things to just magically work themselves out.

I also have no problem with him playing the top guys as much as possible. They're top players for a reason. I'd rather see the Sedins and Kesler play 20-23 minutes a night than have the Taylor Pyatts of the world playing 15 minutes per game.

Completely agree BUT will the extra minutes wear down the top line for the playoffs?

Avatar
#23 5minutesinhebox
October 29 2013, 02:53PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
4
props
Cam Charron wrote:

Okay, time to ban Hard Puck City. Don't think he's adding much to the discussion here.

UPDATE: Hmm. Seems Hard Puck City and Riot Squad were posting from the same Surrey IP address.

What a surprise! But you got a 2 for a deal. I am thoroughly enjoying the thought he that clown steaming at home at not being able to post. What the hell will he possibly do with all that time? Now how about that Surrey Bob guy?

Avatar
#24 5minutesintehbox
October 29 2013, 02:58PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
3
props
DCR wrote:

I liked the win, but I'm still concerned about the Power Play.

0/6 just isn't good enough. I'm hoping it's just the percentages, because it's looking ugly. (The dearth of PPs has just added to the issue, as the fewer there are, the longer it can take to regress.)

Actually I thought our PP looked very good against the Caps, we just couldnt put the puck in the net. Lots of sustained pressure and lots of shots. As was mentioned in the broadcast, its hard to build a successful PP without ever being on the PP. It will improve most definitely, its just a matter to what level.

Avatar
#25 Drams
October 29 2013, 03:22PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
0
props
Unknown Comic wrote:

Was a penalty shot missed when Alzner shot the glove at Sedin?

Yes it was missed; however, I'm glad it was missed. I think Sedin missing on a penalty shot would have been deflating. A minor penalty would have been appreciated though.

Avatar
#26 007
October 29 2013, 07:11PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
+1
2
props

@Cam Charron

Does this mean we have to listen to 5minutesinthebox and ted and pheenster and their nonstop Canucks love-in?

God, this site is going to be nothing but a fanboy Canuck Kool-Aid drinking sausage fest.

Get ready for the Kool-Aid everyone, cause here it comes, whether you like it or not!

Avatar
#27 007
October 29 2013, 07:13PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
+1
2
props

@5minutesinhebox

Hey can we ban this guy too? I'm sick and tired of his B.S. I'm sure many of the people do as well.

Avatar
#28 Lemming
October 29 2013, 07:41PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
7
props

@Cam Charron

Thank you for improving this site and the comments section by several million times over.

Avatar
#29 pheenster
October 29 2013, 08:47PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
4
props
007 wrote:

Does this mean we have to listen to 5minutesinthebox and ted and pheenster and their nonstop Canucks love-in?

God, this site is going to be nothing but a fanboy Canuck Kool-Aid drinking sausage fest.

Get ready for the Kool-Aid everyone, cause here it comes, whether you like it or not!

Shut your piehole and get me another double-double, stat!

Avatar
#30 pheenster
October 29 2013, 08:48PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
2
props
007 wrote:

Does this mean we have to listen to 5minutesinthebox and ted and pheenster and their nonstop Canucks love-in?

God, this site is going to be nothing but a fanboy Canuck Kool-Aid drinking sausage fest.

Get ready for the Kool-Aid everyone, cause here it comes, whether you like it or not!

And a maple dip while you're at it.

Avatar
#31 pheenster
October 29 2013, 08:48PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
+1
3
props
007 wrote:

Does this mean we have to listen to 5minutesinthebox and ted and pheenster and their nonstop Canucks love-in?

God, this site is going to be nothing but a fanboy Canuck Kool-Aid drinking sausage fest.

Get ready for the Kool-Aid everyone, cause here it comes, whether you like it or not!

And make it snappy.

Avatar
#32 5minutesinthebox
October 29 2013, 10:03PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
4
props
007 wrote:

Hey can we ban this guy too? I'm sick and tired of his B.S. I'm sure many of the people do as well.

Tired of my BS. Im sorry I dont think I have ever heard of you before, nor have I ever even responded to a post from you, unless of course you are...(drum roll).... ... Surrey Bob, your new double 007 persona isnt fooling anyone. I love how the only vote you got for your post was your own.

Avatar
#33 5minutesinhebox
October 29 2013, 10:27PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
+1
2
props
PB wrote:

About time. I wonder if it's also Surrey Bob's basement?

Note the Surrey IP address

Avatar
#34 pheenster
October 29 2013, 10:56PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
+1
2
props
Ted wrote:

Does this even make sense?! Anyone?

Well, I see what he was going for, but the result was a weak analogy compounded by poor grammar.

Comments are closed for this article.