Why Alain Vigneault is a Milt

Thomas Drance
November 15 2011 09:09PM

Editors note: You may have noticed a strange group of Canucks fans on twitter who seem to use a foreign language while staying hyper-current about Canucks news. Sure most of the made-up words they use have deliriously filthy meanings according to the urbandictionary.com, but regardless, their schtick is funny and pervasive. They're known as the #shap crew, or the #shap bandits, and their strange lingo has been referenced by Dan Murphy during a Sportsnet broadcast, and has made it into the Vancouver Province as well. It's all very #shapocalytic (link very much NSFW). As I often defend the Canucks head-coach Alain Vigneault in this space, I figured I'd let the #shap bandits tell you why they disagree with me.

The Following is a Guest Post from the Shap Crew:

Recently, Alain Vigneault decided to start Roberto Luongo in 3 games in 4 nights. Today, we are hearing that Luongo is hurt and missed practice. Let's think about this for a moment...prior to these 3 games Luongo's play was typical of his career at this time of year, as he's been known as a slow starter. Granted, his form has been improving. The question is: What kind of coach plays his starter 3 games in 4 nights? Answer: Only a Milt.

What's a Milt? Well, if you really have to ask that question you're probably a Milt. A bit slow to laugh at a joke... your buddy's fiancé doesn't want you at their wedding... Milt. I digress...back to AV.

AV lacks one thing that every coach should possess: common sense. It's common sense to give your starter a rest when your team plays back to back, especially when you consider the fact you have a more than competent backup; or when you consider it's November; or when you remember the original plan to give Schneider 25+ starts that they trumpeted a few weeks ago; and when you keep in mind Luongo's history of injuries; and Luongo's being worn out in the playoffs.

This is the norm when it comes to AV's decision making. Think back to when AV asked Luongo whether he wanted to come out of a playoff game when getting shell-shocked. Let's explore this move: A coach is, in essence, a manager. When does your manager ask rather than tell you what to do? Typically, when they are out of their element. If you don't know what you're doing in your position, you start asking those around you.

Think of all the times the Canucks are being peppered with goals and you watch AV cling onto his timeouts as though they were linked to his bonus. Or think of when ever you heard AV take the blame for anything? There's always one of three things with AV: an excuse; a reason; or a scapegoat. As long as he has those three things he'll never have anything to worry about.

Consider this: AV had a career of 42 games over 2 years for the Blues as a professional hockey player, zero championships. As a coach he has been practicing the profession for 25 years now, zero championships, and by all accounts he's still figuring out what to do.

We could go on and debate questionable lines, the fact there's a revolving door of assistant coaches around him, yet he remains, the fact he acts like the Jack Adams is the same as a Stanley Cup, his lack of preparation, lack of motivation but it would take us pages and pages and you wouldn't read it all anyway, so we'll boil it down to winning.

There's something to be said about a winner. A winner has that special "IT" factor that can hardly be put into words. You either got it or you don't. A winner leads his team, a winner demands respect, a winner's team is prepared to go through any obstacle that stands before them, a winner motivates, a winner... wins! Does that mean AV is a loser? No... AV is a Milt.

Enough Said.

Follow us: @Vitamin_V12 & @MarioMontega

3136ae487fac57943f99a50e66e4d6cf
Thomas Drance lives in Toronto, eats spicy food and writes about hockey. He is an NHL News Editor at theScore, the ex-managing editor of CanucksArmy.com and an opinionated blowhard to boot. You can follow him on twitter @thomasdrance.
#1 peanutflower
November 16 2011, 08:48AM

Yah, I'm not sure I agree with even one thing you've written here.

#2 Dave
November 16 2011, 09:47AM
peanutflower wrote:

Yah, I'm not sure I agree with even one thing you've written here.

I agree with you, peanutflower.

#3 mario montega
November 16 2011, 10:29AM

We not asking for approval or for people to agree that is what the beauty of our shap is..

#4 Johnny
November 16 2011, 10:30AM

Great views guys, I do agree with the AV stuff. He has past expired here

#5 Micheal
November 16 2011, 10:40AM

Great read guys, something different and fun. Like it.

#6 Azfar
November 16 2011, 10:46AM

This is great stuff. Big respect to the 'Shap Crew' - legends to many on Twitter. Good shap on the article too, Alain's a big time Milt.

#7 Alex
November 16 2011, 11:02AM

wow finally something that i can laugh to and yet they made some great points

#8 Bella
November 16 2011, 11:09AM

kudos guys, i loved it. i didn't agree with it all but a lot of it i did.

thanks for making me laugh to

#9 BuzMeg
November 16 2011, 11:19AM

Good shap Shappenbloggers. Although AV did win once with Hull that was a long time ago. Since then 18 years as a head coach: 4 times no playoffs, 3 times out in 1st round, 8 times out in 2nd round, 2 losses in finals and once he was fired. That's a milt's record to me

#10 mario montega
November 16 2011, 11:24AM
BuzMeg wrote:

I agree Buz and thanks for the comments v12 and I just bring shap/blogs ina diff way..

We embrace the hate

#11 Aaron
November 16 2011, 11:56AM

This "shap" crap is ridiculous.

Alain will win, he does win. If you don't want to cheer on the wins, go be a leafs fan, I've noticed they're starting to head in their usual direction.

#12 Taylor
November 16 2011, 12:40PM

I find it great to read someone's views that aren't pro canuck or everything they do. It's a refreshing read to see that not all Canuck fans out there just agree with the Management team. I bet these gentlemen that SHAP critic them when playing well and when playing bad. So for the haters I ask if were .500 come mid Dec or Jan what do you do? Make a trade, so he couldn't do it with the President trophy winners and now you need to give him more?

Great read guys, I don't agree 100% but I do agree with a lot of it.

Thanks hope there's more

#13 Vitamin_V12
November 16 2011, 02:13PM

Thanks for the comments everyone! And a big shout out to Chubs for the opportunity to shap on his site! Thanks bru!

#shapstrong

#14 Jeff
November 17 2011, 12:04AM

Loved it guys, and after tonights game jesus makes more sense. Cody on the fourth line?

#15 ashley
November 17 2011, 08:55AM

I couldn't agree more

#16 Terry
November 17 2011, 11:38AM

david booth a 4th liner come on av? truly a milt i totally agree.

#17 Amanda
November 17 2011, 02:34PM

Loved it guys, surprised after last nights game not more people posted on here agreeing. Av is a milt :)

#18 Mario Montega
November 17 2011, 02:36PM

Thanks for all the comments good or bad. We just want to thank Chubs for giving us the chance to post something.

Cheers @mariomontega

#19 Tomis
November 17 2011, 04:16PM

loved it.. thanks guys

#20 jenna
November 17 2011, 07:56PM

Great work guys, I really am leaning towards you on this. Something has to give with AV and the team.

#21 don
November 20 2011, 07:26PM

boys, finally got a chance to read this and loved it..well said (shapped)

#22 ben
November 21 2011, 09:02PM

Finally something fun to read, if I want to read hockey stuff I"ll read the province but this is different and good.

Love it V12 and Mario

#23 Chad
November 23 2011, 02:03PM

Boys I just stumbled on this and love it. I have wanted AV out since 2009

#24 Jennifer
November 23 2011, 04:15PM

Loved it, he is a milt a big milt

#25 William
November 24 2011, 02:09PM

Great work on this piece guys, not saying the writing is perfect but I enjoyed it, laughed,and it you made some good points on this milt subject.

I agree that AV is a milt, but maybe Mike Gilis is slightly turning into one also.

Great shap, did I say that right