With Canadian Thanksgiving in the rearview mirror, the Canucks prospect season has fully kicked into gear.
The University of Michigan had a regular season and exhibition game this past weekend and the Utica Comets got their AHL season going.
A recent draft pick returned from injury and another is flirting with an OHL record.
All of that and more in this week’s Blackfish!
All of the images below are from Eliteprospects.
- Last week, I wondered if there was an update about Jett Woo. Someone in the comment section was nice enough to point me in the direction of the WHL weekly update, that I had previously been unaware of. The next day, Woo returned to the Warriors lineup. He appeared in two games over the past week, picking up one secondary assist. He has been seeing time on the left side of the first powerplay unit but playing regularly on the right-side in 5v5. He’s already shown the willingness to be physical despite just returning from injury.
- Matt Brassard with one goal over the two games this past week. His goal can be found below:
— Oshawa Generals (@Oshawa_Generals) October 6, 2018
- Michael Dipietro picked up his 16th career shutout in the OHL. That ties him for the most shutouts in an OHL career.
- Since our last update, Matthew Thiessen made 27 saves in Dubuque’s 3-2 OT loss to Cedar Rapids. They play again on Saturday versus Omaha.
- William Lockwood picked up one goal against the University of Vermont in Michigan’s NCAA season opener. He followed the up with one goal and one assist in an exhibition contest against Waterloo (USports – CAN). He was flying in the game against Vermont on the Wolverines first line. His goal from that game is below:
— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) October 6, 2018
- Quinn Hughes was held off the scoresheet in that game against Vermont but picked up one assist in the exhibition game vs Waterloo.
- Tyler Madden and Jack Rathbone have not started their season yet.
- Artyom Manukyan was held off the scoresheet in all three games that he played. They are playing right now as the puck dropped between Avangard and Slovan at 9:30 AM PT.
- Nikita Tryamkin picked up one goal and one assist over three contests this past week.
- Dmitry Zhukenov has still only appeared in one VHL contest this season.
- Toni Utunen appeared in one game for Tappara over the last seven days – he played 9:10, picking up his first point of the season. That assist can be found below:
#Canucks prospect Toni Utunen's primary assist from the Oct 6th contest
First point of the season for the 2018 5th round pick pic.twitter.com/cY7IJLiSme
— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) October 11, 2018
- The Utica Comets split their first weekend of play, losing 7-3 to the Toronto Marlies on Friday and then winning 3-1 against the Belleville Senators on Saturday.
- Just a reminder that Gagner isn’t a prospect, but his stats will be included in these updates.
- Comets Cory will be covering anything and everything about the Comets this season and thus keep an eye out for his content. If you haven’t checked out his post game reports, you can do so here.
- Thatcher Demko is still recovering from the concussion suffered in training camp.
- At this moment, the Canucks have no prospects in the ECHL.