We are back with another Blackfish: Canucks Army Prospect Report!
Last week, there was no report because nothing happened at all. Like nothing.
But with the calendar turning to October, the hockey season is here and we will get back to the weekly updates to keep you abreast of everything that is happening with the Canucks prospects around the globe.
All of the images below are from Eliteprospects.
Enough introduction, let’s dive in!
- Jett Woo still hasn’t returned from his injury suffered over the summer. He is expected to be back reasonably soon but there hasn’t been a definitive timeline put out there publicly. Will reach out to the Moose Jaw Warriors to see if we can an update.
- Matt Brassard made his return to the Generals lineup and made an immediate impact with one goal and one assist. His goal can be found here:
— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) October 1, 2018
- Michael Dipietro appeared in two games for the Spitfires. He made 33 saves on 37 shots in the September 21st contest against London and then allowed four goals on 21 shots against Saginaw on September 27th. He did not finish the game against the Spirit and was the backup for their contest against Kitchener a few nights later. I wouldn’t expect that to continue.
- Thiessen started both games for Dubuque last weekend – posting a 1-1-0 record with 2.50 GAA and .886 SV%
- None of the NCAA prospects have played a game yet.
- Worth adding that I said on the September 20th updated that Rathbone had a pre-season game the following weekend, I misread the schedule – that game is on October 20th.
- Artyom Manukyan is up to two goals and five assists this season. He continues to display that plucky puck pursuit and relentless work ethic. If he keeps doing what he has been doing, the points should follow. He has seen his role change a bit over the last two weeks, seeing some time with Max Talbot and David Desharnais on the ‘fourth line’. All part of the ebbs and flows of the season. His assist from Tuesday can be found here:
#Canucks prospect Artyom Manukyan picks up a secondary assist on Avangard's third goal
Gains the zone (along close boards), then passes back to Chudinov before Semyonov buries it on the rebound. pic.twitter.com/Y0GIc0xGZL
— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) October 2, 2018
- Nikita Tryamkin sits at two assists in 10 KHL regular season games. He is nowhere near the same pace as last season and sits fourth in defencemen scoring for Avtomobilist.
- From what I can find, Dmitry Zhukenov has played one VHL game this season and nothing else.
- Unfortunately, it appears that Utunen was a healthy scratch for Tappara earlier today. Ideally, it won’t be for very long and he gets back in. Otherwise, it’s best for his development to get loaned to the second division (Mestis) and play some games. Although his playing time has been limited for Tappara, I think he has held his own in Liiga.
- The Utica Comets kick off their season tomorrow with Sam Gagner and the Toronto Marlies visiting the Aud.
- Gagner isn’t a prospect, but his stats and some casual observations will be included while he is still in the AHL.
- Comets Cory will be covering anything and everything about the Comets this season and thus keep an eye out for his content.
- Thatcher Demko is still technically on the Canucks as he recovers from a concussion.
- At this moment, the Canucks have no prospects in the ECHL.