Playoffs are in full swing in Europe and kick off this week in the CHL. It’s exciting times as the stakes ramp up with each passing game.
A prospect was informed that he will not be signed, while another gets ready for the NCAA regionals and then maybe an NHL contract?
The season is winding down for the Canucks, but that doesn’t mean it stops in the prospect world.
All that and more in this week’s BlackFish Prospect Report!
All the images of stats are from Elite Prospects.
CANADIAN HOCKEY LEAGUE
Western Hockey League
- Kole Lind sat out the Friday night game against Vancouver (along with many other veterans) but closed out the WHL regular season with 1 goal and 1 assist in their Saturday night contest. Kelowna will face the Tri-City Americans in the first round with their series kicking off tonight.
— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) March 18, 2018
- Jakub Stukel had two goals and one assist in his final week of WHL action. According to Rick Dhaliwal with News 1130/SN 650, the Canucks will not be offering a contract to him and thus will re-enter the 2018 NHL Entry Draft and then become a UFA (if unselected).
Ontario Hockey League
- Matt Brassard closed out the 2017-18 season with one goal and one assist in one game since last Thursday. Brassard was named the Oshawa Defenceman of the Year earlier today. The Generals will face Niagara in the first round of the OHL playoffs, with game 1 going tomorrow night.
— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) March 17, 2018
- Brett McKenzie had two goals over the final two games for Owen Sound. He has slid into the second line spot and been effective there as a two-way centre who can chip in here and there.
- Gadjovich had himself a decent close to the season – picking up one goal and four assists in those two games. Owen Sound faces London in the first round – game one is tonight.
— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) March 16, 2018
- Cole Candella closed out the 2017-18 season with one assist in three games. Sudbury failed to make the playoffs and at this moment, there is no definitive information on what the Canucks plan to do prior to the June 1 deadline.
- Michael DiPietro was 1-1-0 over the past seven days. Windsor will face Sarnia in the first round.
- Adam Gaudette played in one game over the past seven days that saw him put up one assist. The aforementioned game was an overtime loss to Providence in the Hockey East Semi-Finals. Northeastern drew Michigan in the NCAA regionals and it’s lose and you are out from here. So, his season could be done tomorrow.
- William Lockwood’s season is done due to injury.
- Jack Rathbone still sits at 11 goals and 19 assists in 17 games – based on everything I can find, it appears their season is done.
- Elias Pettersson was held off the scoresheet in both playoff games this week – Brynas and Vaxjo start at 11am today with game three of their best of seven series. (Series is tied 1-1)
- Kristoffer Gunnarsson was held off the scoresheet in both Frolunda playoff games this past week – their series with Malmo is tied 1-1
- Jonathan Dahlen did not play any games this past week – their series against Karlskrona on March 25th
- Petrus Palmu was held off the scoresheet in game – but they play game two this morning (starting at 9:30am)
- Olli Juolevi scored the first goal of the playoffs for TPS – they eventually fell behind 3-1 but stormed back to win 4-3 in OT. Juolevi played 27:00 minutes in game one, due in large part to Henrik Tallinder getting a 10-minute misconduct on the first shift.
— Ryan Biech (@ryanbiech) March 20, 2018
- Nikita Tryamkin was held off the scoresheet in Avtomobilist 6 game series loss to Metallurg.
- Zhukenov appears to be in the MHL still – he has 10 goals and 24 assists in 33 games but did not play any games over the past 7 days
- Lukas Jasek appeared in four playoff games over the past week but was held off the scoresheet. They play Mountfield Hk at 9:20 AM PT this morning with the series at 2-2 (prior to today’s game)
- Reid Boucher, Nikolay Goldobin and Tyler Motte remain with the Canucks.
- Tanner McMaster and Vincent Arseneau were signed to PTO’s over the past week
- If you are looking for in-depth post-game reports about each Comets game – go to Cory Hergott’s author page here.
- MacKenze Stewart had one assist over Kalamazoo’s two games this past week.
- Anton Cederholm did not appear in any games.