January 29 2015 03:00PM
All eyes in the NHL this weekend were turned to Columbus, where you could see a once interesting and entertaining fixture in the hockey world now turned into a laughing stock, filled with professionals just going through the motions and putting on an embarrassing display.
No, I'm not talking about the All-Star Game, I'm talking about Ken Campbell and The Hockey News.
With news breaking that the NHL is about to revamp it's website to add new statistics, as well as trialing new technologies to automatically track even more on-ice parameters, Campbell penned an obituary to Corsi.
January 29 2015 01:00PM
The Canucks haven't won in almost two weeks, but they sure have stayed busy. Radim Vrbata represented the team at the NHL's annual frat party. The Swedes met up with some old pals. They raised some money for a good cause. Eggs were involved.
January 29 2015 11:00AM
Given all the chatter surrounding the Canucks and Bruins making a potential deal, it seems like a foregone conclusion that something is going to happen between these two teams before the trade deadline. We know that Canucks management isn't a fan of Zack Kassian, we know that Vancouver needs help on their left side D, and we know that Boston Bruins left side D Matt Bartkowski has been struggling for ice time in Boston and has ties to the Canucks organization. Putting two and two together, it seems like the heavy flirting between the Canucks and Bruins will eventually amount to a Kassian-for-Bartkowski swap, perhaps with some other stuff thrown in.
So let's just get out ahead of this right now, what the heck is a "Matt Bartkowski"? Is it better than Zack Kassian? How will it help the Canucks? Read past the jump to find out.
January 29 2015 09:30AM
Welcome to a mid-week favourite feature here on Canucks Army and all sites on the Nation Network: What Would You Do Thursday, where we put you, yes YOU, in charge of your own imaginary Vancouver Canucks. We'll present you with a different scenario each week, and you tell us how you'd solve it in the comments section below. Give props to the answers you do like and trash the ones you don't. Easy! So let's get started:
January 28 2015 01:00PM
With the Canucks having played their 46th game last night, we are over halfway through the NHL season and approaching the home stretch. Since 41 games is a good benchmark, we can use this point to analyze how Vancouver has been playing and what specific things have been going their favour, and what's been going against them.
One thing that we cannot predict in hockey is luck. Luck plays such a large role in determining the outcome of games to the point that the NHL is identical to a league where only 28% of the games are determined by the better team winning and the remaining 72% of games are a coin-flip. This should come as no surprise, otherwise you would see teams like Buffalo win-less and the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings of the world virtually undefeated.
But what is luck? People tend to think of it as a vague, undefined, superstitious entity, but rather "luck" is everything that is outside of a players' control. Things like injuries, being subjected to variances in shooting percentages, or referees making bad or ill-timed calls are all included in "luck."
Continue past the jump to see how luck has been helping the Canucks this season.