July 16 2012 03:36PM
Last night, Mike Gillis' son Spencer posted this photo of his dad's latest acquisition on Twitter. The image was promptly retweeted far and wide by the official Vancouver Canucks Twitter feed (@VanCanucks), and shortly thereafter the photo found its way to the Canucks dot com (CDC) message boards. This set off an uncharacteristically salient, and amusing thread discussing Gillis' latest catch. Check out some highlights past the jump...
July 16 2012 01:02PM
Over the past week, Roberto Luongo was seen bluffing his way into the money in Las Vegas, while Mike Gillis was reeling in some truly mammoth Tuna in Panama. Meanwhile the Strombonian trade saga continued to drag on. The conflagration didn't rest for Gillis' vacation or Luongo's card games, rather it had some gasoline poured on it this weekend courtesy a fascinating leak. Could super pest Dave Bolland, widely loathed Sedin nemesis, be headed to the Canucks in exchange for Vancouver's former franchise netminder?
Read past the jump for more.
July 16 2012 09:10AM
Should the Canucks roll with this goaltending tandem next season?
(September 30, 2010 - Source: Stephen Dunn/Getty Images North America)
Yesterday was the deadline for restricted free agents to accept their qualifying offers. Among Vancouver's RFAs that remain unsigned (only Dale Weise and Eddie Lack), neither player accepted their qualifying offer. Of the two, hot-shot goaltending prospect Eddie Lack is easily the highest profile.
The News1130 Twitter account has breathlessly covered this formal adventure in paperwork, but structurally it remains very much likely that Eddie Lack will return to the Canucks organization next season. If Lack had accepted his qualifying offer, he'd have been entitled to a 10% raise, meaning he'd have cost the team 660k if he played in the NHL next season. That's a paltry amount to pay for one of the best goaltenders in the American Hockey League, so it's not surprising that Lack didn't accept his QO.
Read past the jump for more!
July 13 2012 09:30AM
On a radio show earlier this week, Cam Janssen got himself into a spot of hot water by saying a whole whack of stupid crap. He made comments that implied that he intends to injure opposing players, and worse, he said that he'd beat the crap out of a fellow player who he knew to be sucking dick. Twitter took umbrage with his bigoted comments, obviously, and bloggers like Ryan Lambert and Bryan Reynolds took Janssen to task with guns blazing this morning.
Today, Patrick Burke - the fearless leader of the You Can Play team - went to bat for the "enforcer," who mentioned his support for YCP in a statement issued through the New Jersey Devils website.
July 11 2012 10:34AM
On Monday, the News1130Sports Twitter feed chatted with Shane Doan's agent Terry Bross, who told the Vancouver radio station that his client has some nagging interest in coming to Vancouver to play hockey, should things continue to combust in Phoenix.
Bross tells CKWX that Doan has held talks with Lawrence Gillman and the #Canucks and they are on his list of desired destinations.— News1130 Sports (@News1130Sports) July 9, 2012
The News 1130 folks weren't the only folks who chatted with Bross at some point on Monday. Bross started the day speaking with USA Today, dropped in on no less than eleven beat writers, and even ended up on CKNW with Dave Pratt. Bross's performance was a tour de force. Surely he ignited a bidding war, and at the very least he got hockey fans from Montreal to San Jose excited about the prospect of their team adding Shane Doan. Indirectly, that level of fan excitement applies pressure on the league's General Managers to go after his client...
Canucks fans, lustful for a Stanley Cup, are convinced that Doan's camp has eyes only for their team (local connections!), but Doan and Bross are basically holding an auction. Acquiring Doan promises to be costly in fortune and term, risk and opportunity cost - but make no mistake: the Canucks are on the hunt for this particular mythical beast.
Read past the jump.