Graphic Comments: Old Whine, New Bottle

Graphic Comments
December 05 2016 06:25PM

20161205-02

You know what, I just can't even. I was all set to take down yet another boo-hoo-everybody-hates-Vancouver diatribe apart but why bother.

Patrick O'Sullivan is just another loud mouth from Toronto trying to replicate Don Cherry's shtick and turn it into a career in media.

Except where Cherry has build his persona from deeply held, and very wrong, convictions of how the game is meant to be played, guys like O'Sullivan and Milbury and Denis Potvin are just playing it up for the crowd.

They come off as just sour, bitter versions of Grapes. The same old whine, but in a new bottle.

And hey, O'Sullivan definitely has a case to be bitter. I mean, it has to suck to go through what he had to go through to work his way up through junior hockey and the minors only to flame out in the NHL. But he's letting his personal grudges cloud his judgement.

I mean, how do you say something like this:

"There's a line that you just don't cross. There's racial stuff. There's sexual orientation stuff..."

And then sing the praises of Shane Doan less than a day later?

20161205-01

This Shane Doan.

So yes, I don't put much stock in what O'Sullivan really has to say, nor in the principles behind it. The bitterness has so clouded his cognitive skills, that he lists off Aaron Rome as an example of the "rats" that have infested the Canucks organization for years.

The Aaron Rome who topped out at 53 penalty minutes in 2010-11 and finished his career with 185.

Mind you, I'm sure the Canucks were the most hated team in the league when they were good. But that's because they were good. Strikes me that there's been plenty of players willing to come here since then.

The thing about O'Sullivan though, is that his inanity doesn't stop at poor judgement clouded by personal biases. His twitter account, once you get past the all bluster and bravado, is chock full of I-played-the-game-so-shut-up pronouncements. But when it comes down to it, he's wrong even on players on the team he's paid to follow.

As just one recent example, he spent early October railing against William Nylander, even claiming he can't make it as an NHL centre, and that he doesn't belong on a line with Auston Matthews and Zack Hyman. Yes, Zack Hyman:

20161205-04

And how did that assessment pan out?

20161205-05

Oh.

And no acknowledgement that he got it completely wrong, either. Typical.

But, I guess if you want to be the next Don Cherry, you need to mix a little xenophobia in with your analysis. That and a healthy taste for the "right way" to play the game and a distaste for analytics. Oh, and a penchant for putting your foot in your mouth:

20161205-06

But if there was one area I thought O'Sullivan wouldn't have such a traditional standpoint it would be on the role of fighting in the NHL. You'd think he, of all people, would be a little less anxious to promote the use of violence to settle differences, and certainly not one to celebrate it:

20151205-03

Guess not.

Who needs principles when you have a shtick?

RECENT GRAPHIC COMMENTS

C867930d1f1ba5cf2b078a93d3bd1a68
I'm not a hippie or on welfare. I don't live in Kits, wear Birkenstocks or own an umbrella. I've never been to the Capilano Suspension Bridge, but I'm sure it's very nice. I have a mayor, not a crack addict. I drink pale ale, not Blue. And I call it a cabin, not a cottage. I can proudly say my team's been to the Stanley Cup Final in the last 45 years. They may not have won, but at least they got there. I believe in sunshine, not haze; heat, not humidity. And that sushi is a healthy and tasty meal. A coho is a fish. A ski hill is a mountain. And the plural of leaf is leaves. Okay? Not leafs. Leaves! Vancouver is the country's third-largest city, certainly the most beautiful, and the best part of Canada! My name is petbugs and I am a Canucks fan! ... You can find me on Twitter @petbugs13 or send your hate mail to petbugs (at) gmail (dot) com but it better be funny or it's getting plonked.
#1 Friendly Neighbourhood Canucks fan
December 05 2016, 06:50PM

Best Graphic Comments post ever. O'Sullivan is very Trump-like in his grand claims, concentrated hatred and his blatant hypocrisy. He can go suck a...

#2 Whackanuck
December 05 2016, 06:56PM

@Friendly Neighbourhood Canucks fan

!

#3 Whackanuck
December 05 2016, 06:58PM

@Friendly Neighbourhood Canucks fan

what's the reference to Doan supposed to illustrate?

Picture two circles. One says Irrelevant, the other says Petbugs. They exactly overlap each other.

#4 Dirty30
December 05 2016, 07:41PM

Who's Patrick O'Sullivan?

#5 tru north
December 05 2016, 07:47PM

"Except where Cherry has build his persona from deeply held, and very wrong, convictions of how the game is meant to be played, "

Two things come to mind on reading that statement ...

Firstly, I'm confident Don Cherry has not built (or build?) his persona. Seems to be pretty much who he is and that's all there is to it. Doubt he's spent any time worrying about what you or many other folks think he should be ... or how he has to act and talk to impress them. He's a guy who has spent his life involved in hockey at it's highest levels and that's good enough for him.

Second, as that man who has spent 60 plus years doing what he has in the game his convictions/opinions just 'might' be of some value. Want to guess who's convictions are based on more and better information, yours or his? Think how the game of hockey has grown in those years and consider that there 'might' be some things worth keeping in it.

Your opinion of things that are "very wrong" should include the importance of your opinion.

PS. No, I'm not saying the game is perfect or that Don is God, only that the game and he deserve far more respect than you can likely understand.

#6 Tara
December 05 2016, 08:37PM

Seriously whoTF is Patrick Soloman?

#7 GoodUserName
December 05 2016, 08:48PM

Ah, Don Cherry, my favourite racist. The amount of hate that has came out of his mouth about francophones, and europeans on tv, always makes me wonder what he sounds like behind closed doors. It would never be excusable from anybody else, I often wonder how he has stayed on tv for so long, especially in this politically correct culture we now live in.

#8 Canuck4Life20
December 05 2016, 09:12PM

The guy played for LA from 2006-09 and Edmonton from 2009-10. Those teams finished 28th, 29th, 26th/21st, and 30th while the Canucks were building up into one of the best teams in the league. He never played a single NHL playoff game.

I would probably hate the Canucks too if I lost to them as much as he did.

#9 acg5151
December 05 2016, 09:43PM

Shane Doan allegedly called a French player a 'frog', supposedly it turned out he called him another F-word and was misheard. I'm not sure that makes Shane Doan a racist, just a guy smack talking on the ice.

This was also about 10 years ago if I remember right.

#10 Donald's Hat Trick
December 05 2016, 09:54PM
Tara wrote:

Seriously whoTF is Patrick Soloman?

Patrick Slobodan

#11 Bud Poile
December 05 2016, 11:16PM

Don represents Canadian hockey history and Canadiana.

Listening to Don is a representation of the way many Canadians thought in the 50's in to the 70's (and most likely long before) -whether it is deemed acceptable now - or not. Canada has always had deep divisions,as has the world,hockey was viciously tough and the players were loyal to each other and this country.

That was hockey and the Canada Don grew up in.

He is not the perfect poster boy for Canada today but he represents what a large segment of this country-and hockey-was about back in his day.

#12 Forever 1915
December 06 2016, 12:40AM
Donald's Hat Trick wrote:

Patrick Slobodan

Patty Slobberman?

#13 Chris the Curmudgeon
December 06 2016, 07:50AM

Next time can you tell those of us who don't consider every little discussion between irrelevant blowhards on whatever website to be news what actually happened before blogging about it? Because I refuse to look it up, I'm assuming that this Peter O. Sutherland guy said some dumb thing on twitter and you would rather engage the troll rather than ignore it? I don't think the comparison with Cherry is accurate, I seldom agree with the man but the guy has established his relevance to hockey culture over generations of working in it. This sounds like a petulant little washout who is trying to stay relevant by picking fights and you're giving him what he wants.

#14 Suzycue123
December 06 2016, 09:04AM
Canuck4Life20 wrote:

I would probably hate the Canucks too if I lost to them as much as he did.

Oh u mean, "While the Canucks were building up into one of the best FAIL teams in the league that CHOKED and never WON. Period. "

Oh those Canucks... that also BURNED down their own city...

You're right Patrick O'Sullivan is

#15 Chris the Curmudgeon
December 06 2016, 09:10AM

@Suzycue123

Haha, the riot. Hahaha. That's a good one, I've been wondering if anyone was ever going to think up a funny joke about the riot and then actually tell it.

#16 sloth
December 06 2016, 10:53AM

"[Petbugs] is just another loud mouth from [Vancouver] trying to replicate [Thomas Drance]'s shtick and turn it into a career in media.

Except where [Drance] has build his persona from deeply held, and very [nerdy], convictions of how the game is meant to be [studied], guys like [Petbugs] and [O'Sullivan] are just playing it up for the crowd."

O'Sullivan is legitimately emotionally damaged from a horrible life of abuse and sporting failure (just like the Leafs entire fanbase, and the majority of the TO media...), so naturally he lashes out at those he is envious of, those who don't fit in his sick little worldview. Obviously this will make him very popular in the Leafs Twitterverse. It's sad, because it's pretty clear that he's a very unhappy person, with a lot of unresolved issues to deal with. But there's really nothing we can do - people can only change and grow when they want to, and O'Sullivan is not there yet. I think it's best to just ignore him and carry on with our arrogant mockery of Trawno from our superior westcoast paradise. And beating the Leafs helps too.

#17 detox
December 06 2016, 12:58PM

@Suzycue123

How is your team doing? How have they done over the last 10 years?

Guessing your team over that period of Fail was worse than the Canucks? ;)

#18 Not Dressed For Tonight's Game
December 06 2016, 01:34PM

Patrick O'Sullivan - intials,POS - coincidence, I think not.