Report: Canucks Acquire Derek Dorsett from Rangers

That's Offside!
June 27 2014 02:27PM

dorse

With their 3rd trade of the day, the Canucks traded the 3rd round pick (85th overall) to the New York Rangers for 4th line forward Derek Dorsett. Dorsett is a Willie Desjardins favourite from his time in Medicine Hat, and this move is surely made to placate the new coach. Read past the jump for a bit more analysis.

Derek Dorsett isn't much of an NHL player, but he's the type of guy who provides you with a consistent physical bottom-of-the-lineup presence if you're into that kinda thing. He also carried a 50.5% Corsi last year in New York while starting just 35% of his shifts in the offensive zone, but has traditionally been a negative possession player (as most 4th liners are) with the added caveat that he's always seen heavy D-zone usage.

An 85th overall pick is unlikely to see any NHL games anyways, so it's tough to call this deal anything but a modest win for the Canucks. Dorsett will ideally replace Top Sixtito Tom Sestito on the 4th line, and keep all the gritensity that Sestito was supposed to have.

As a side note: I hate Derek Dorsett. Cannot stand him. This mostly stems from his time with the Medicine Hat Tigers when they were dueling the Vancouver Giants for WHL supremacy. During the 2007 WHL Finals, Dorsett allegedly tricked Giants' winger Kenndal McArdle into fighting a guy well above his weightclass, then injured Cody Franson and bit McArdle's finger in a game a few days later. So my reasons for disliking Dorsett really have nothing to do with his hockey ability, and I guess I'm ready to begrudgingly come around on the guy if he's effective. I am a sucker for guys that cause chaos, after all.

10df053f41f4bdaf4d65eca6e982e46d
Covering the WHL - with a focus on the Vancouver Giants - for the Nations. Helping feed your sea-to-sky boners. Follow my inane ramblings on Twitter @Thats_Offside.
#1 Mantastic
June 27 2014, 02:31PM

#gritfactor

#bieskarating

#bostonmodel

#2 NM00
June 27 2014, 02:48PM

@Mantastic

#betterthanSestito

#3 antro
June 27 2014, 02:53PM

@NM00&Mantastic: We're cornering the market on biters and thrd/ fourth liners, wait till next season's trade deadline.

#5 BuffaloBillsOfHockey
June 27 2014, 03:07PM

The biting doesn't bother me as much as the gaping hole in the 2nd line now. On the plus side, bottom six is shaping up something like Higgins-Bonino-Hansen and Dorsett-Richardson-Matthias, which is looking a lot better on paper already.

#6 Johan
June 27 2014, 03:08PM

We now have 9(10 with horvath) bottom 6 forwards and 3 top 6 forwards if you give burr the benefit of a doubt. This might be a long winter.

#7 Ted
June 27 2014, 03:53PM

Seems like a pointless move. They could've used that pick on a prospect. We're in a rebuild.

Let's see if they make a move for Buffalo's pick...

#8 Neil B
June 27 2014, 04:00PM

So, it's Kesler = Bonino + Sbisa +24 + Dorsett? Well that's different. We'll call that a win.

I guess turning a late 3rd (low chance of a NHLer) into Dorsett, who is by chance a low NHLer, is a good deal. I guess. We've definitely added more Saskatchewan content to the team now. It sounds like he's a 4th liner who can be trusted with defensive assignments, so that's a step up on last year's face-puncher.

#9 Mantastic
June 27 2014, 04:40PM

@Neil B

it's 2015 3rd + Kesler for that actually.

#10 chrìs
June 27 2014, 04:55PM

Willie must of had good things to say about dorsett. plus it doesnt hurt to have players that have played underneath him to help acclimate the rest of the team to his process.

#11 Here it comes
June 27 2014, 06:49PM

".............. The Bosten model..... .....that just got wiped out by the Montreal model....... .......good times in Canuckville.....

#12 zipperhead
June 28 2014, 07:12AM

Like Dorsett a lot. I recall a shift against the habs in the semis when this guy from the rangers hit the jets to go for a loose puck.

I thought holy crap, fast. It surprised me it was dorsett. He can skate and scrap and play.

He reminds me of Prust or a smaller Shawn Thorton. I think he's a very good addition to the team.