Canucks Army Weekly Prospect Reportlet - May 29, 2014

Josh W
May 29 2014 02:10PM

In this week's report(let) we're going to go through all of the latest relevant prospect news because, well, it's nearing the end of May and we don't really have much of it to begin with. When there isn't news, we look for gossip, and when there's no gossip, we make things up. Never let a fact ruin a good prospect narrative is what I always say to Dimitri (and anyone that'll listen)!

A reminder that if you're bored this summer, craving hockey news, and would like to stay updated on everything regarding Canucks prospects by following me on Twitter @nuckprospects. You're also more than welcome to send me any feedback on anything prospect related you wish for me to cover in the future.

For Memorial Cup #FancyStats, the latest in Canucks and Comets news, read on past the jump!

Memorial Cup

horvat

Last weekend the Memorial Cup concluded, and London didn't manage to make it out of the group round after failing to win a single game. It doesn't look like it was a result of being a weak team as they had the second best possession-close of the four teams, but rather due to the lack of PDO help they were able to round up. They couldn't put a puck in the net nor could they stop anything, and thus, they were left on the sidelines watching the exciting conclusion to the tournament like the rest of us.

Edmonton, who led all the teams in possession, needed an exciting triple OT (and longest game in Mem Cup history) to beat a fiesty Val-d'Or squad, before dominating Guelph and winning the tournament.

Team Wins Expected Wins 2p SF 2p SA Possession Close SF SA GF GA Sh% Sv% PDO
Edmonton 3 3 145 101 58.94% 231 189 20 17 8.66% 91.01% 99.66%
London 0 0 90 66 57.69% 138 109 4 13 2.90% 88.07% 90.97%
Guelph 3 3 101 115 46.76% 154 164 21 13 13.64% 92.07% 105.71%
Val-d'Or 2 2 70 124 36.08% 143 204 11 13 7.69% 93.63% 101.32%

Thoughts de Semaine

Not much has been happening around Canucks Prospect land, but here are a small collection of thoughts and links to help you through your busy work day:

• CHL prospects drafted in 2012 have to be signed by June 1st. From that draft the Canucks have already signed Gaunce and Mallet. Hutton and Beattie are still in the NCAA so they have another two years, meaning that only Wes Myron needs to be signed, and with the way he has been playing I would honestly be fairly surprised to see him actually get a contract.
  • Ex-Comets defenseman Mullen, who was traded at the deadline for an NCAA prospect, was re-signed by the Ottawa Senators to a one-year two-way deal. Don't be surprised to see more of him this Fall.
  • One draft prospect, Jake Virtanen, will be out until October with a shoulder surgery. Despite his name being mentioned as a viable candidate, there's reason to be concerned about that potential selection given some of the other names that'll surely be available at 6th overall. I'm sure there will be a Thats_Offside-esque hit-piece on him soon here at Canucks Army, according to my sources.
  • NucksMisconduct have ran their autopsy on Frank Corrado, focusing on his short NHL play.
  • With the recent signing of Anton Cederholm to his ELC, The Utica Comets have a short piece up on him.
  • The experts at Hockey's Future have dished out the Canucks Prospect awards.
  • The Comet's Aud has been ranked the 8th best Arena in the AHL.
  • Laurence Gilman recaps the Utica Comets' season.
  • Jordan Subban was driving Hunter Shinkaruk around Toronto for stitches this week. Very exciting news to see them already bonding as a team!
  • In this week's fake outrage: recently Bo Horvat has been boasting on Twiter that he is off to Jamaica. I don't know about you but I believe there are no ice rinks in Jamaica. How can Horvat expect to train and be ready to make the Canucks camp this fall if he isn't training? Sounds like to me he doesn't have the compete level, drive or desire to be in the NHL.

Thanks for reading. This was a slow week, as you may've noticed, but soon enough we'll have a lot more draft-related stuff and the prospect business will be busy once again.

172ff756e336b4deef407cc7fc644369
I am a Van Fan in Bytown. Living in Ottawa for work, I research Sports Analytics and Machine Learning at the University of Ottawa. I play hockey as well as a timbit but I compete in rowing with hopes of 2016 Olympic Gold. Follow me on twitter at @joshweissbock and feel free to send any questions or comments my way.
#1 NM00
May 29 2014, 02:22PM

"Edmonton, who led all the teams in possession"

Something about this seems wrong...

#2 andyg
May 29 2014, 07:22PM

Jamaica.

Every one needs a break and Bo has played a ton of hockey.

Also any nice resort that I have been to have places to work out.

#3 Lemming
May 29 2014, 10:18PM
andyg wrote:

Jamaica.

Every one needs a break and Bo has played a ton of hockey.

Also any nice resort that I have been to have places to work out.

They were joking about it being a controversy.

#4 HPC
May 29 2014, 11:15PM

@NM00

Hey Claven, news flash. The folks you've been tirelessly trying to convince for all these years are what people call shills.

It's like watching you trying to fight a garbage fire with an eye dropper. The day you get through to the resident Canuck mouth pieces here is the day the Americans realize that slurpee isnt' a fruit.

Either you are part of the wrestling act or you love the pain. NM-SAD00. LOL

#5 #FireAV
May 29 2014, 11:30PM

#6 #FireAV
May 29 2014, 11:31PM

#7 #FireLinden
May 30 2014, 12:34AM

@#FireAV

I like the cut of your jib, son.

That being said, looks like AV and his Rangers are going to the finals...one year after the Canucks throw him out. Maybe karma can do a DP karma and have Torts go to the finals next year too with another team.

So I guess it wasn't AV's fault but the useless inept country club players that are STILL here. Well forget that, let's go back to 2011 as Trevor Vanilla and his buddy Benning would say. They don't even hide their BS anymore, to hell with everything, let's take another step backwards. I'm sure the NHL will arrange itself for the Canucks to have a weak conference again.

The Canuks doing nothing but shooting themselves in the foot yet again. I am Furer Vanilla, all heil my mediocrity!

#8 Ted
May 30 2014, 10:26AM
#FireLinden wrote:

I like the cut of your jib, son.

Ah yes, another idiot has come and joined the boards. Looks like MegaMoron00 has another friend.

#9 HPC
May 30 2014, 03:16PM

@Ted

MOOPS!

#10 JFR
May 31 2014, 03:30PM
#FireLinden wrote:

I like the cut of your jib, son.

Wow you are a true moron! So you see the fact that AV lead the Rangers to the finals as the common denominator instead of the fact that Torts captained that ship to under achievement by alienating top players and running them into the ground. Sound familiar?? More than a few times these playoffs I have heard announcers say that Torts Rangers teams would be worn down at the end of games and definitely at the end of series. Fact is that if Luo would have played like Lundquist in 2011 the cup would have been in Vancouver. Amazing what a GREAT goaltender can do for a coach!

Just go back to the Edm and Cal.. Boards and

#11 #FireLinden
June 01 2014, 02:35PM

@JFR

Wow you are a blind shill and a imbecile to boot. First round assaults by the Kings and Sharks long before Torts was here, one of them being a shortened season.

" too bad if luo would have played like lundquist..." Hahaha, too bad if your team would have played like a champion, they would have had a cup, but they're not champions but chumps and no one supports chumps like you blind fans.

Speaking of amazing goal tending, the rangers have it while you guys were breastfeeding Luongo, time to man up and admit you don;t know what the hell you're doing. Misery deserves company and since you supported the team, you deserve all the misery it put out.

Now find another excuse for next year and go back to Edm and Cal cause no one can accept this chump team being as it is was, unless they're from Edm Cal.

#12 Don Taylor
June 01 2014, 09:28PM

@JFR

Hey, it's never the Canucks fault.

#13 FireFireLinden
June 02 2014, 05:52PM
#FireLinden wrote:

Oh yeah??? Well your mama.

#14 #FireLinden
June 02 2014, 06:39PM

@FireFireLinden

Least I have one, foster care boy.

#15 FireFireLinden
June 03 2014, 02:40PM
#FireLinden wrote:

Least I have one, foster care boy.

Well then someone better call her because you are getting served loser.

#16 #FireLinden
June 04 2014, 02:59PM

@FireFireLinden

You call her, since you love her so much, retard.