So nice, why not do it twice? Canucks Army Viewing Party at The Pint!

Dimitri Filipovic
April 01 2014 01:04PM

CanucksArmyApril

Watching the Vancouver Canucks has been an, almost entirely, irredeemable experience in 2013-14. They've been losing far more than they've been winning since the calendar flipped to the new year, and even worse, they've been doing so in a brutally uninteresting fashion. But for a variety of reasons, we've all continued to put ourselves through the misery that is devoting 3 hours to them time and time again, whenever they pop up on the schedule.

Which brings us to April 1st. That's the night when the Canucks host Alain Vigneault and his New York Rangers, but it's also the night we'll be having our "Canucks Army Viewing Party/Charity Event" for the second time this season. You shouldn't be alone on that night, we need to get through these rough times together.

Let's take it back to basics and go through the Six Ws - well, it's technically 5 Ws and 1 H, but who's really counting? - in a quick and easy way to get all of the relevant information we need. My elementary school teachers would be so proud of me if they could see me now.

Who?

Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 4.06.35 PM

All of us? Me, you, your friends, our mutual e-friends (+ those other guys on the Canucks Army staff, too). The more, the merrier. I can tell you that the last time we did one of these events, we had just over 30 people make it out. I don't mean to put words into anyone's mouth, but I think everyone there had a pretty sweet time. It actually kinda, sorta made watching the Canucks play hockey a more bearable spectacle.

What?

It's pretty self-explanatory. We'll get together, watch hockey at a bar, and drink beer/eat food. The ticket price for the event is $15, but by paying that price you get:

• a Canucks Army t-shirt (like the ones in the photos)
  • a complimentary highball
  • 20% off of your food bill (use that to get your hands on an Inferno Burger, trust me)

The Canucks lost to the Blackhawks 5-2 the last time we did this type of thing back on January 29th, but that hardly got in the way of us having a good time.

Personally, there were two things that stuck out to me from that night:

1) It was awesome meeting some of the people that I see pop up on my timeline on a daily basis. Putting faces to names (or in this case, Twitter handles) is always fun. I mean, events like this bring guys like Cam Charron and Dapper Don together for crying out loud!

Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 10.11.50 AM

2) Tom Sestito scored, and we started a pretty raucous "Top Six-tito" chant directly afterwards. Think of all of the fun we can have at the expense of Alain Vigneault and the Rangers..

And no, this isn't an April Fools' Day joke. We'll definitely all be there!

Where?

Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 4.12.11 PM

The Pint. If you've never been, it's at 455 Abbott Street. The cross-street is Pender, and it's essentially across the street from Tinseltown (which is now apparently called "Cineplex Odeon International Village Cinemas", but what do I know, I still refer to where the Canucks play as "GM Place").

It's the "Official Bar of Canucks Army". As long as you're 19+, and are able to be reasonably and control yourself, we fully condone drinking (we reiterate responsibly). How else could we handle an 82-game slate of Canucks games this season?

When?

The game itself starts at 7pm, but I figure we'll get there around 5:30/6 to get settled, grab a bite, and hangout. It's a pretty popular pre-drink spot for people going to the game, so if you get there and it's super busy, don't be surprised. But hopefully we'll be able to try and get a section for ourselves so that finding seating won't be an issue.

Why?

Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 10.38.10 AM

This probably should've been the first bullet point, but hopefully at least some of you have carried on reading through until the very end (even if it's just purely out of common courtesy). But yes, just like last time, we'll be using all of the money accrued from the $15 ticket prices to give back to a local charity. We were both proud and satisfied with what we were able to do last time, but hopefully we'll be able to surpass that total and then some this time around.

Since I know it'll be asked: no, I can't reveal where exactly the proceeds will be going to. We have something in mind, but it's not set in stone. And even if it was, we wouldn't reveal it because of some of the technicalities and loopholes that come with the territory. It's much easier to round up the money, and then give it to whichever cause we choose, than having to go through them so that we can legally use their name as part of our marketing for the event. The end result will be the same this way, regardless, with much less hassle.

If you have something close to your heart or think there's a cause that would greatly benefit from the couple bucks we can round up, please feel free to let us know.

How?

This is the easiest part. Just click HERE, and buy your ticket. In case you missed it the first time, click HERE

Or you can always also just buy your ticket at the door if that's easier for you, but I think it simplifies things for all parties involved if you just get the ticket now, so that we know what kind of a turnout to expect. If you do that you can just pull up the receipt on your phone (or just print it off) and show it at the door when you get there.

See you guys then!

7482b25b962fb1661ea9028fb4e0db36
Dimitri Filipovic writes about hockey on the internet, and is the Managing Editor of Canucks Army. You can follow him on Twitter @DimFilipovic, and email him at dimitri.filipovic@gmail.com.
#1 BrudnySeaby
March 12 2014, 11:09AM

Nice try guys! April 1st… Pff!

#3 BrudnySeaby
March 12 2014, 11:46AM

@Dimitri Filipovic

Hehe… couldn't resist. Maybe this time round I can actually make it.

#4 Ted
March 12 2014, 12:14PM

I think it's time to put the Canucks on the back burner. White Caps are going; Mariners are about to start their season and the Seahawks are making moves. I'm tired of the Canucks, to be honest. So much drama...drama that isn't necessary. The guy orchestrating the drama is still there and it looks like he's there to stay and so is his coach. I guess we'll see after the season but I don't see many big changes on the horizon. I just pray Gillis has learned enough from his mistakes and he'll try and move his coveted vets.

We are all Canucks.

#5 Cam Charron
March 12 2014, 12:36PM

time to start arm wrestle training

#7 Cam Charron
March 12 2014, 01:03PM

Canucks Army: Your source for Whitecaps, Lions, Mariners, and Seahawks news!

#8 NM00
March 12 2014, 01:12PM

If you want to raise more money for the mystery charity, try selling the following:

Also, GC has pretty much lost betting on Vancouver getting a playoff spot over Colorado.

Feel free to add that to the pot.

We are all Canucks...

#9 Ryan
March 13 2014, 04:28PM

May I suggest one on a Saturday night next season, for those out-of-towners?

#11 Lemming
March 13 2014, 05:39PM

If only I still lived in Vancouver; have a blast guys!

#12 JFR
March 13 2014, 10:54PM

Are you guys sure this isn't an Irish wake?

Mason Raymond now 1 goal away from 20 w Leafs....... Season just keeps getting worse!

#13 Rusty
March 13 2014, 11:39PM

@JFR

Don't be fooled. It's a contract year, and we know how well MayRay performed during his last real contract year (barring injury). Wait till he resigns with the Leafs for mega bucks then disappear.... Again....

#14 Graphic Comments
March 14 2014, 12:46PM

@NM00

It's a shame nobody took me up on that bet!

#15 NM00
March 14 2014, 01:26PM

@Graphic Comments

I took you up on the bet.

You simply never accepted and/or counter-offered:

As an aside, the FenTied seems to have captured how/when the Canucks were controlling possession quite well.

And it makes recent criticisms of the coach's "process" quite reactionary and after the fact simply to fit the preconceived notion of why you want Torts fired...

#16 Graphic Comments
March 14 2014, 06:22PM

@NM00

Ah yes. Now I remember. Yeah, 2:1 didn't quite cut it. :P

As for this idea that these are "recent criticisms" that I've come up with to fit my "preconcieved notion", in case you haven't noticed, I haven't posted anything in a quite a long time.

In fact, let me share with you the start to a piece I started writing after the "moral victory" in LA, the debacle in Anaheim and the blow up vs. Hartley:

-------------

Well, I've given it half a season but I can't shake this feeling. It started all the way back when Tortorella was first thrown out as a candidate for the job as the Canucks' bench boss. I tried to ignore it. Write it off. Laugh it off. But I just couldn't rationalize it away.

And then over the last week everything happened, and I just can't ignore it any longer.

We are a Brad Richards signing away from reliving the Keenan years time we will not speak of again.

-------------

That was Jan. 13, and barely two weeks after the best December the team has ever had. But it was clear then, that Torts doesn't have any kind of response for dealing with adversity. And if there's anything a coach of the Vancouver Canucks needs, it's tools for dealing with adversity.

#17 NM00
March 14 2014, 06:41PM

@Graphic Comments

I'd still say the gentlemanly thing for you to do would be to add X amount of dollars into the charity pot and for Dmitri to give you a CA t-shirt as a goodwill gesture...

What are these "tools for dealing with adversity" that you expect Torts to have?

Fairy dust?

You're being far too vague for this criticism to be taken seriously.

I don't have a reason to believe Torts is any worse of a carpenter than AV.

He simply wasn't given the appropriate tools.

And, you know, Torts is the kinda carpenter that likes to argue with his customers, prospective customers and start drunken fights with his fellow carpenters during business hours.

And for these reasons, I'm ready to move on from him as long as the general manager walks the plank with him as he is the main culprit...

#18 Graphic Comments
March 14 2014, 10:07PM

@NM00

Ok, so we agree that Torts has to go. All I'm saying is, if you want to get rid of him now you have the perfect pretext to do it.

As for Gillis, my question is, who do you replace him with? I'm not willing to turf him without knowing there's an upgrade available. It's the same issue I had with dumping AV.

And sure, fair is fair. The Avs are still playing well above their talent. But the Canucks aren't catching them. So I will donate $50 to whatever charity it is that CA is supporting.

#19 NM00
March 17 2014, 11:16AM

@Graphic Comments

It's only the perfect pretext to get rid of Torts if you believe that he was solely Aquillini's hire.

How many coaches do you think Gillis gets to go through before the axe finally falls on him.

As for only willing to turf Gillis with an upgrade being available, why would anyone believe he's an irreplacable commodity after 6 years on the job?

His transaction record leaves much to be desired.

His media personality does as well.

And he seems to be suffering PTSD after the SCF in his neverending quest for grit.

He doesn't do anything particularly well.

Make sure to get that CA shirt from Dmitri...

#20 Sather Hater
March 25 2014, 03:25PM

Hey there.. Never really been to this blog, but looking for some help - I'm headed to the game April 1st and have no idea how seating is at the arena...

Is it okay to watch from the upper bowl or does it make sense to pay 2x the price for a seat in the lower bowl?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

#21 Senrik Hedin
March 25 2014, 03:33PM

mike gillis just has a very low PDO right now.

#22 Hockeygirl
March 30 2014, 04:26PM
Sather Hater wrote:

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

IMO upper bowl has a good view, especially in the first few rows. Not worth the money for lower bowl unless you are right on the glass or next to the benches. It is very fun to be there in any seat!! though a loss is expected

#23 Pucky
April 01 2014, 10:45PM

@Graphic Comments

You seriously need to lay off the drugs if you think Gillis should stay and Torts should go.

Who do you replace Gillis with? How about a monkey? Seeing as how even a chimp would do better than Gillis.

Av are playing above their talent? Sounds like an excuse to me. When another team is playing better than the Canucks, then they are overachieving. When your Canucks are being what they are, which is lousy, then out come the excuses, the refs, the injuries, the new coach, it's too haaaaard to get a new gm,it's the oiler fans, it's the leafs fans, it's too haaaaard to get better scouts, it's too haaaaaaaarrrrddd for anything. Yeah, who the hell in their right mind would want to play for this train wreck?

Vancouver is not a goalie graveyard. It's a mickey mouse organization where good players get traded while useless country club "stars" get the royal treatment while wasting more and more time. It's a place where the ordinary and mediocre are celebrated and beloved while the real contributors are let go or traded, where young promising talent sit idle in the booneylands while the overpaid quitters get their egos massaged year after year. Don't you guys ever get tired of it? Serious question, don't you ever get tired of the same old excuses?

#24 Bantamman
April 01 2014, 10:54PM

@Sather Hater

Take the upper seats, that way you'll have change left over in coins so you can chuck it at the sisters. Warning, hitting them would be very hard because they are terrific at disappearing.

Activate powers of invisibility! No no, after you brother Hank! Let's do it together! Go Go Invisibility!