Evening Headshots: January 30th

J.D. Burke
January 30 2014 11:00PM

Long live Sestito! Image Courtesy of: The Province
Long live Sestito! [Image via The Province]

First of all, I’d like to thank everyone involved in last night’s festivities at The Pint. Quite frankly the agonizing headache and malaise of today might suggest I had too much fun, but hey, you gotta live, right? Back to Canuckistan and the real world, there was no shortage of news from today; unfortunately though not much of it was good.

Think the last month has been bad as a Canucks fan? Not sure if it’s possible, but things could get worse. And you’ll probably be thinking the same thing, once you get to all these fine links, after the jump.

Josh W does a fine job with his weekly prospect report, with highlights and stats from every league the Canucks organization have a player in. Josh also recapped the Utica Comets triumphant weekend in Abbotsford, which saw them win both games. Some analysis on Anton Cederholm and his adjustment to the WHL is also provided, as the defensive defenseman from Sweden tries to adjust to North America.

Here comes the bad news. Dimitri Filipovic looks at the impact of Kevin Bieksa reportedly missing somewhere in the neighbourhood of five games and Mike Santorelli being ruled out for the remainder of the campaign.. Dimitri also sheds some light on the status of Henrik Sedin, who’s been out for the last three games. On the bright side, Dimitri raises an excellent point about Santorelli’s next contract, which will probably be much more palatable due to this injury shortening his season.

Our good pals at Pass it to Bulis, who were also with us at The Pint last night, recap last night’s game, in what I imagine was an effort to fill the void left by Canucks Army not doing one (slackers!). Do you want to know the most impressive part of this recap? I saw Harrison Mooney do it on his laptop, literally, in the bar. Now that, my friends, is commitment.

Want a little more Pass it to Bulis content? Look no further. Daniel Wagner breaks down last night’s jersey-gate, and provides photo evidence that the supposed Canucks fan who threw his jersey onto the ice, wasn’t even a Canucks fan at all. But that’s not where he stops… Daniel digs even deeper into this fool’s checkered past and finds he’s guilty of a lot more than just throwing a jersey…

The Province’s Jason Botchford provides more hilarity, all of it at the Canucks’ expense, in last night’s edition of the Van Provies. The ineptitude of Vancouver’s power play, their psychology and Daniel Sedin’s contract are all looked into, and now I want a drink.

Jim Jamieson, also of The Province, previews the Canucks five-game road trip and highlights the difficulties that lay ahead for this much maligned squad. On the bright side, Jamieson notes that Henrik Sedin will be travelling with the club, and could return to the lineup relatively soon.

Want some painfully accurate statistics that paint just how grim things are in Canuck-Land? Well, have I got the link for you. Vancity Buzz, who are really starting to get their Canucks content going with a great group of writers, looks into several recent polls surrounding the Canucks. It would appear as though this fanbase doesn’t have much confidence in their team, and based on recent events, can you blame them

096d629787fddfce3e8c03270ac0016e
J.D. Burke is a hockey and football writer/blogger, that can be found on several different sites, including this one. Enjoys long walks on the beach and sushi. Can be followed on Twitter @JDylanBurke
Avatar
#1 Big Cap
January 31 2014, 06:33AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
10
props

Hello 9th Place.

The Window is officially closed and now locked shut.

Avatar
#2 NM00
January 31 2014, 09:26AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
6
props

Botchford:

BEST QUESTIONS

Why did the Canucks rush to sign the Sedins this season?

Why not wait for their season to play out under Tortorella who hasn’t exactly been getting the most out of his offensive stars since leaving Tampa?

Never made sense and goes against the hard-nosed negotiating which has been the organization’s biggest strength.

Avatar
#3 Jamie E
January 31 2014, 11:40AM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
6
props
NM00 wrote:

Botchford:

BEST QUESTIONS

Why did the Canucks rush to sign the Sedins this season?

Why not wait for their season to play out under Tortorella who hasn’t exactly been getting the most out of his offensive stars since leaving Tampa?

Never made sense and goes against the hard-nosed negotiating which has been the organization’s biggest strength.

I know you vociferously disagree with the answer, but I will give it you anyways.

Sports teams reward athletes who have shown long term dedication to an organization by treating them with respect. It's part of the culture of team sports. That might not please nerdy stat crunchers, but its a reality.

Organizations that treat long-time, loyal players with disrespect are pilloried in the media, but fans and are seen to be less attractive places for players to play.

When Trevor Linden was run our of Vancouver by Mike Keenan, it was an incredibly unpopular move. When the Ottawa Senators tried engage in "hard-nosed negotiations" with Daniel Alfredsson, they lost the player and received heaps of criticism.

Swedish players in particular, it would seem, place a significant premium on a two-way loyalty and respect with the organization they play for.

I, along with the vast majority of fans, were pleased with the contract extensions the Sedins signed. I am not going to let one month of bad team results change that opinion.

I know the Sedins will regress from elite first line players to very good two-way second or third line players over the course of this contract. During that time they will mentor players who will assume their first line roles. That's exactly as it should be. If the Sedins play beyond this contract - which they might - I hope it with Vancouver and that they retire as career Canucks.

Professional sports is about more than results. The emotional connection that a fanbase has for their team is deeper than that - and it has to be because organizations will go through valleys as well as peaks. Fans form an emotional connection to not all, but some players. They become the face or faces of the organization.

None of that answer will mean much of anything to you, because you are the type of person who is far too invested in never being wrong, but there you have it.

Avatar
#4 Ted
January 31 2014, 12:09PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
1
props
Jamie E wrote:

I know you vociferously disagree with the answer, but I will give it you anyways.

Sports teams reward athletes who have shown long term dedication to an organization by treating them with respect. It's part of the culture of team sports. That might not please nerdy stat crunchers, but its a reality.

Organizations that treat long-time, loyal players with disrespect are pilloried in the media, but fans and are seen to be less attractive places for players to play.

When Trevor Linden was run our of Vancouver by Mike Keenan, it was an incredibly unpopular move. When the Ottawa Senators tried engage in "hard-nosed negotiations" with Daniel Alfredsson, they lost the player and received heaps of criticism.

Swedish players in particular, it would seem, place a significant premium on a two-way loyalty and respect with the organization they play for.

I, along with the vast majority of fans, were pleased with the contract extensions the Sedins signed. I am not going to let one month of bad team results change that opinion.

I know the Sedins will regress from elite first line players to very good two-way second or third line players over the course of this contract. During that time they will mentor players who will assume their first line roles. That's exactly as it should be. If the Sedins play beyond this contract - which they might - I hope it with Vancouver and that they retire as career Canucks.

Professional sports is about more than results. The emotional connection that a fanbase has for their team is deeper than that - and it has to be because organizations will go through valleys as well as peaks. Fans form an emotional connection to not all, but some players. They become the face or faces of the organization.

None of that answer will mean much of anything to you, because you are the type of person who is far too invested in never being wrong, but there you have it.

I think many fans do get this aspect of pro sports. You have to remember you're dealing with a guy who does not have a fully functioning brain; he is stupidity incarnate...he is NoMatchForYou00.

I don't mind the Sedins signing but it was an overpayment. Honestly, I would've been OK if they left after the season as well because I do feel this team needs a shake up. I just have to question the fans who go mental after a rough couple months (as you noted).

The Sedins are not the lone concern on the team. Gillis has struggled to evaluate his talent and now we're stuck thanks to all of the no trade clauses.

Also, I'll admit I loved the trade Keenan made when dealt Linden. It is, often, what needs to be done and helped make the Canucks a solid team throughout the 2000s. Loyalty is big but fans are quick to forgive when a team wins.

Avatar
#5 NM00
January 31 2014, 12:20PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
4
props

@Jamie E

None of this nonsense has anything to do with Botchford's question.

What was the rush?

Espescially since this management team did not rush to sign the Sedins the last time around when they were in their primes...

"Sports teams reward athletes who have shown long term dedication to an organization by treating them with respect. It's part of the culture of team sports. "

So that's what Calgary was doing the last few years...

Also, you might want to pass this "respect" memo to the management team that has jerked around Luongo for the last 6 years.

"During that time they will mentor players who will assume their first line roles."

This was the most hilarious part. Well done...

Avatar
#6 Jamie E
January 31 2014, 12:56PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
2
props
NM00 wrote:

None of this nonsense has anything to do with Botchford's question.

What was the rush?

Espescially since this management team did not rush to sign the Sedins the last time around when they were in their primes...

"Sports teams reward athletes who have shown long term dedication to an organization by treating them with respect. It's part of the culture of team sports. "

So that's what Calgary was doing the last few years...

Also, you might want to pass this "respect" memo to the management team that has jerked around Luongo for the last 6 years.

"During that time they will mentor players who will assume their first line roles."

This was the most hilarious part. Well done...

The previous contract negotiation with the Sedins was handled badly, not well. I don't know how that bolsters your argument.

It's also what Detroit has been doing as well, although I understand the example of Calgary bolsters your argument more the Detroit example.

Lastly, Roberto Luongo signed a long-term contract and then - if everyone wants to cast their gaze back to actual historical events - HE asked to be traded because of personal issues with his marriage. The Canucks decided to accomodate his wish to return to Florida because we had another goalie worthy of being our starter. When attempts to trade Luongo and his contract failed because of a changed landscape under a new labour agreement (which admittedly did turn into a gong-show), the other guy was ultimately traded. Luongo remains here, seems content is playing very well.

I don't think having Daniel And Henrik Sedin showing Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat et al how to be true professionals is "hilarious", especially since they will continue to be reasonably productive two-way players while they do it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Canucks are no longer an elite team with a strong chance of winning a Stanley Cup. They are entering a period of time over the next couple of seasons where some changes will occur and need to occur to revitalize the team. We may see a rapid return to elite team status with luck, the development of drafted players and some clever additions. Or we could get worse. I'm not making the decisions. We'll see.

Avatar
#7 NM00
January 31 2014, 01:40PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
4
props

@Jamie E

"The previous contract negotiation with the Sedins was handled badly, not well. I don't know how that bolsters your argument."

It's Botchford's rhetorical question, not mine. Though I clearly agree with him here.

The point, though, is that the Canucks had leverage (in that the Sedins could only negotiate with Vancouver until July 2014) and chose not to take advantage of it.

And it already looks like a poor decision. Is there any reason to believe the Sedins would have received more than Thornton/Marleau from Vancouver had they waited?

Not to mention that keeping the Sedins was hardly a no-brainer this time around...

"It's also what Detroit has been doing as well, although I understand the example of Calgary bolsters your argument more the Detroit example."

Detroit, at least during their contending years in the salary cap era, was not handing out legacy contracts that hindered their ability to maintain a contender.

Vancouver has...since this is clearly not a contender anymore...

"Lastly, Roberto Luongo signed a long-term contract and then - if everyone wants to cast their gaze back to actual historical events - HE asked to be traded because of personal issues with his marriage. The Canucks decided to accomodate his wish to return to Florida because we had another goalie worthy of being our starter. When attempts to trade Luongo and his contract failed because of a changed landscape under a new labour agreement (which admittedly did turn into a gong-show), the other guy was ultimately traded. Luongo remains here, seems content is playing very well."

Assumptions, invention & logical leaps abound.

Espescially the new labour agreement part. The new CBA is more trade-friendly than the previous one. The Canucks have the ability to eat half of Luongo's salary in trade, for example.

And we'll see how content Luongo remains in the offseason should he exercise his contractual right to request a trade after year 4 of the contract.

"I don't think having Daniel And Henrik Sedin showing Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat et al how to be true professionals is "hilarious", especially since they will continue to be reasonably productive two-way players while they do it."

Because they have been so good at mentoring Raymond, Grabner, Hodgson, Kassian & Schroeder on their way to becoming frontline players?

Because the Sedins can just will prospects into first liners?

They haven't been great mentors so far. Perhaps the mentor gene kicks in at age 35...

"Don't get me wrong, I think the Canucks are no longer an elite team with a strong chance of winning a Stanley Cup. They are entering a period of time over the next couple of seasons where some changes will occur and need to occur to revitalize the team. We may see a rapid return to elite team status with luck, the development of drafted players and some clever additions. Or we could get worse. I'm not making the decisions. We'll see."

There's every reason to believe this franchise will remain mediocre or worse in the near future.

Other teams have better young talent.

Some teams (Anaheim, Colorado, St Louis, Minnesota) have already caught up to and/or passed Vancouver...

Avatar
#8 Nat
January 31 2014, 03:25PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props

@NM00

@NM00

"Because they have been so good at mentoring Raymond, Grabner, Hodgson, Kassian & Schroeder on their way to becoming frontline players?

Because the Sedins can just will prospects into first liners?

They haven't been great mentors so far. Perhaps the mentor gene kicks in at age 35..."

You're just deliberately mis-representing Jamie's original comment. He said mentoring them on how to be "professionals". He never said anything about teaching them to be first line players. Big difference, obviously.

Perhaps you might like to do a little light reading... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Avatar
#9 Ted
January 31 2014, 03:39PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
1
props
Nat wrote:

@NM00

"Because they have been so good at mentoring Raymond, Grabner, Hodgson, Kassian & Schroeder on their way to becoming frontline players?

Because the Sedins can just will prospects into first liners?

They haven't been great mentors so far. Perhaps the mentor gene kicks in at age 35..."

You're just deliberately mis-representing Jamie's original comment. He said mentoring them on how to be "professionals". He never said anything about teaching them to be first line players. Big difference, obviously.

Perhaps you might like to do a little light reading... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

You're not actually suggesting we're going to get a rational/intelligent response from ShatForBrains00, are you? That is just kooky talk!

Now to the trade deadline will be another testament to Gillis as a GM. Hoping he's a seller and some of the NTC guys ask to leave but I don't see that happening. I'm afraid he deals a young asset in an effort to go for it this year. Standing pat would also be a slap in the face to the fans. Rumors are starting to trickle in. Latest I hear is Callahan...

Avatar
#10 NM00
January 31 2014, 05:02PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
3
props
Nat wrote:

@NM00

"Because they have been so good at mentoring Raymond, Grabner, Hodgson, Kassian & Schroeder on their way to becoming frontline players?

Because the Sedins can just will prospects into first liners?

They haven't been great mentors so far. Perhaps the mentor gene kicks in at age 35..."

You're just deliberately mis-representing Jamie's original comment. He said mentoring them on how to be "professionals". He never said anything about teaching them to be first line players. Big difference, obviously.

Perhaps you might like to do a little light reading... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

"I know the Sedins will regress from elite first line players to very good two-way second or third line players over the course of this contract. During that time they will mentor players who will assume their first line roles."

Nice try, though...

Avatar
#11 flyfish1168
January 31 2014, 05:50PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
2
props

The nucks is not a gritty team. They are old and dirty. That's what other NHL city fans feel about this team

Avatar
#12 Jamie E
January 31 2014, 07:04PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props
NM00 wrote:

"I know the Sedins will regress from elite first line players to very good two-way second or third line players over the course of this contract. During that time they will mentor players who will assume their first line roles."

Nice try, though...

I'm quite comfortable in predicting that Zack Kassian is well on his way to establishing himself as a legitimate top six and perhaps one day top three player, especially on the slower development curve that power forwards take.

Your other examples are silly. Hodgson was traded, and Raymond, Grabner & Schroeder aren't considered first line talents by anyone.

Bo Horvat and - to a somewhat lesser degree - Hunter Shinkaruk are legitimately considered future first line players. Thus my point.

Comments are closed for this article.