BRIAN SUTHERBY JOINS THE NATION NETWORK

Wanye
September 09 2013 12:37PM

As the Nation Network prepares for the 2013-14 season, it is with great excitement that we can finally announce that Brian Sutherby has joined the company as the VP of Beatdowns, Gaming and general law enforcement.

BACKSTORY

A Moose Jaw Warriors legend and veteran of 460 NHL games, Sutherby is no stranger to the Nation having popped up with an article or two from time to time, writing about his World Junior experiences and regaling us with other tales from a Pro's perspective.

He has also appeared on the Jason Gregor show on several occasions and can be counted on for a timely RT on the tweet tweets when the situation demands it.

On a personal note he is easily our all time favourite non-Oiler NHL player, barely edging out "nobody at all" for second place.

COMMENTARY FROM SUDS

"I have watched the Nation Network grow over the past 5 years and have seen the great job everyone has done. It started as a thing that came out of nowhere in Wanye's brain and for about a year he would always talk about what he wanted to do.

Did I think it would turn into a real thing? Hell no. The guy can barely string a sentence together. But 5 years later here we are. The sites are getting over a million visitors a month."

AND SO

Please welcome our newest contributor and partner in crime to the Nation Network in a full time capacity. It's very exciting for all of us here at HQ and we look forward to working with him for years to come. Give him a shout out in the comments. Follow him on twitter @briansutherby or just keep an eye out for him riding heavy in these mean Edmonton streets.

OH YEAH

There is also this. But there will be plenty of time to analyze who won this tilt in the years to come. It was Sutherby by the way. It wasn't even close.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
September 09 2013, 01:56PM

Maybe now that Brian and Wanye are best friends, he'd be willing to share with you, why Gagner shouldn't be the captain.

I'm sure he could share a few stories of how they would lick their chops when they'd look across and see Gags across from them.....since his Stars rolled over the Oilers like cars on the QE2 for 95% of the last 10 yrs. Maybe Sudsy could create a kinder/gentler version for ON readers to enjoy.

#2 bookofloob
September 09 2013, 02:47PM

Sutherrrrrrrrrbbbyyyyyy

#3 bookofloob
September 09 2013, 05:06PM

Oh.

#4 Lemming
September 09 2013, 06:01PM

As long as he does actual stats and doesn't just go on about how "This is how the pros all do itzorz!!" sounds fine to me. I want analysis, not description. I don't care how people do it, I care in hearing why doing it that way is good or not.

#5 Valic
September 09 2013, 01:16PM

Try not to get stuck in any more floods there Brian!

#7 Tyler
September 09 2013, 12:41PM

Bah. I knew I should have put out on the Twitters that I'd seen Wanye and Brian Sutherby together in a bar and that things might be happening.

#9 Citizen Alpha
September 09 2013, 12:43PM

I think Oilersnation won that fight. EZ PZ.

#10 hemi
September 09 2013, 05:52PM

Excellent! Yet another actual NHL Hockey player to add the mix here. The contributors to this site by the writer's are second to none to all Nation sites. ON is by far the best one going! Welcome aboard.

#11 rubbertrout
September 09 2013, 12:43PM

This "no ex-players" rule of yours appears to be fairly loosely interpreted Wanye.

#12 Rob...
September 09 2013, 01:02PM

Strudwick and now Sutherby. Is the nation out to prove that hockey pugilism doesn't lead to brain damage'amage'amage?

#13 vetinari
September 09 2013, 01:37PM

If you look closely, you can actually read their lips as they fight:*

Sutherby "Hey Struds... the only way you'll score this season is if you take Paulina Gretzky out!"

Struds "Paulina's a saint! And at this point in time, she's under 18!"

Sutherby "And I can write circles around you!"

Struds "Let's see how well you write with my fists in your face! I'm going to totally pulverize you..."

Sutherby "See... you're splitting infinitives!"

Struds "Watch me split your lip!!! HOW AM I WRITING NOW!!!"

* the above exchange totally, 100% happened this way**

** "totally, 100% happened this way" includes but is not limited to being completely fictitious

#14 Lowetide
September 09 2013, 05:31PM

Welcome! An outstanding signing!!!!

#15 Archaeologuy
September 09 2013, 01:59PM

Cant wait for the new articles to start coming in!

#16 ubermiguel
September 09 2013, 12:59PM

Ex-players welcome if their career PIMs are higher than GP. Welcome Brian!

#17 chris
September 09 2013, 03:18PM

this is like the cool kid in high school joining the chess club

#18 Manfly
September 09 2013, 03:43PM

Sutherby landed 2 good ones, but it was hardly "not even close" in his favour. Struds was chuck'en them pretty good too!

#19 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
September 09 2013, 04:36PM

I trash BookofLoob

for that horrible jersey,

and a fLames fan too

#20 Harlie
September 09 2013, 07:42PM
Wanye wrote:

WE DON'T TOLERATE SPECULATION AROUND HERE

*returns to praying Gagner is named Captain*

BREAKING!!! Video of Eakins calling out "un named blogger" for the Captaincy role in Edmonton surfaces!!!

..and welcome to the jungle Mr. Weathe..ahem.. Sutherby

* drops mic, grabs passport and flees country. Only to be detained at customs for 4 hours and then featured on Border Patrol. * #1WP

#21 Reidja
September 09 2013, 11:04PM

Was he forced to move to Edm? My lord.

#22 Kent Wilson
September 10 2013, 11:14AM

@The Oilers Shot Clock

Takes some time to build up a community, especially for a brand new team. We have some talent there though, so its step one.

If you go back to when FN and CA started up, it was the same thing.

#23 Peter
September 09 2013, 01:41PM
Wanye wrote:

WE DON'T TOLERATE SPECULATION AROUND HERE

*returns to praying Gagner is named Captain*

Well, he is the captain of the kids club so....

#24 2004Z06
September 09 2013, 04:18PM

Great tilt!

#25 David S
September 09 2013, 07:03PM

Wanye lands another solid roster player? Tyler Dellow with a positive Dakin?

Man. This world is nothing like I pictured it. Next thing you know hoverboards will be a thing. I AM SO SCREWED UP!

#26 Jay Gray
September 09 2013, 09:24PM

This isn't meant as a shot towards a certain Oiler blogger at all (rhymes with Ploutier), but a mere observation. I'm somewhat surprised that he hasn't launched an official campaign, lobbying to write for ON. It would definitely be a step up.

#27 106 and 106
September 09 2013, 11:05PM

Strudwick had an "A"?

Kudos, Wick. Welcome Bee!

#28 Dale
September 09 2013, 11:42PM
Jay Gray wrote:

He isn't good enough for the Nation. He isn't a professional like Gregor and Brownlee, isn't a former player like Strudwick and Sutherby, doesn't know stats like Lowetide and Willis and he isn't close to as funny as Wanye.

Please ON never add him. This site doesn't need to lower their standards.

#29 Steve Dangle
September 09 2013, 02:43PM

Welcome, buddy!

#30 Todd
September 09 2013, 04:15PM

I hate Dallas.

#31 Rob...
September 09 2013, 06:17PM

Ok, now I feel like a douche. I meant my comment to be light hearted, since both guys tell great stories and seemed to be free from any brain injuries. Then I hear Jason's interview with Sutherby. Turns out he is suffering from some heavy duty concussion symptoms. That are dissipating, but slowly.

I hope they disappear altogether with time. The stories of Jeff Beukeboom's long battle with concussions made it clear how horrible it was to live with.

#32 ahlekseu
September 09 2013, 08:55PM

a fine addition to the family, indeed. welcome :)!

#33 The Oilers Shot Clock
September 10 2013, 01:23AM

Off topic but I jumped over to the jets nation after reading the prospect pieces and its a complete ghost town. 3 out of 4 columns have no comments despite some decent reads. A bit shocked.

#34 Eulers
September 10 2013, 09:57AM

I had fun hanging out with Brian, Wanye, and "Rugby Bagginses" in Chicago. Look forward to reading his work!