Jason Botchford to Leave the Scotty and Company Morning Show

Thomas Drance
June 03 2013 11:51AM

Photoshop via Wyatt Arndt.

On Monday morning it became public knowledge that the Vancouver Province's Canucks beat writer and TSN hockey analyst Jason Botchford will leave the Team 1040's Scotty and Company morning show later this month. The last Botchford co-hosted show will air on June 14th.

Jason Botchford took up co-hosting duties alongside Scott Rintoul in the 8am-to-10am PST drive time slot shortly after Dave Pratt's departure from the local sports talk radio juggernaut last fall necessitated some lineup juggling. The morning show had become "appointment listening" for a wide swath of Canucks fans - a rare bit of sports media that stats milts and shappers could see eye-to-eye on.

More analysis after the jump.

To learn more about the reasons behind Jason's departure from the cushy drive-time morning slot - and whether or not we should anticipate a replacement radio project to emerge from the hopper in short order - we reached out to the man himself:

"I loved the job. The job did not always love me. It requires an unrelenting pace and commitment. Over time, I realized I wasn't comfortable with that, given other responsibilities I have.

I did have this slight fantasy I'd walk in there to quit, and they'd say: 'We can't lose you. We are doubling your salary. We are changing the name to Botchford and Company.' (No offence meant to Scotty!) But, alas, no.

I'm working to get some irons in the fire, so those who aren't celebrating this news could maybe stick with me."

I'd wager that the station will find it difficult to replace Botchford's piquant radio stylings and his ability to harness excitement on social media. We'll be very curious to see who they tap in his stead.

From Botchford's occassionally testy sparring matches with Ray Ferraro, to Littlest Hobo trivia, to exhaustive evaluations of the martial skills of wild animals, the colour and chemistry that the Jason Botchford, Paul Debron, Scott Rintoul team brought to morning sports talk radio will be sorely missed.

3136ae487fac57943f99a50e66e4d6cf
Thomas Drance lives in Toronto, eats spicy food and writes about hockey. He is an NHL News Editor at theScore, the ex-managing editor of CanucksArmy.com and an opinionated blowhard to boot. You can follow him on twitter @thomasdrance.
#1 Nat
June 03 2013, 06:20PM

I love Canucks Army, and no offense to Botchford, but: who cares? Why is this news? It's a beat reporter leaving a local radio show. He will still be writing for The Province, that fine journalistic institution (har har).

Also, with all due respect "stats milts and shappers" are a couple of made up words used by less than 20 people (as far as I can tell). So yeah...

I guess this is the dog days of summer. Hurry up and hire the new coach, MG!

#2 Reuben
June 03 2013, 07:42PM

Can I be the first one to nominate Tony Gallagher for the position?

#4 woolfiSh
June 03 2013, 11:55PM
Thomas Drance wrote:

@Nat we've historically covered media shakeups, that's all we're doing here. But yeah - slow day.

U should do an in depth look at the Canucks/Vancouver sports media.

Hold them accountable for some of the trash they print the same way they target Gillis & co.

Expose some of them for the rumour mongers they are, and applaud the guys who get it right.

I'd read it.

#5 Stanley Cup
June 05 2013, 12:16AM

Botch will be missed on the show big time. I have always enjoyed his views on the canucks and hockey. hopefully tsn picks him up for more coverage in the future

#6 Coquitlam Canuck
June 15 2013, 11:27PM

Botch is really the only reason I tune in to the morning show, hope to hear him somewhere else, maybe a sement on 980 with Pratt in the A.M.