Big Brother Tells Little Brother To Settle Down; Canucks Exact Revenge On Oilers

Dimitri Filipovic
April 05 2013 12:58AM

I feel like this photo does a fairly adequate job of summing up Thursday night's game.
Photo Credit: Jeff Vinnick.

Heading into Thursday night's game, the Edmonton Oilers had won 5 games in a row, outscoring their opposition 25-7 during the streak. Once you combine that with the fact that the Oilers - a franchise that hadn't even sniffed anything resembling (non-draft related) success over the past few years - were sitting in 8th place, naturally their fans were beginning to get a little rowdy. If you don't believe me, check the comments section of the preview for this one.

As you may have expected, things got awfully quiet on that front as the game went along. The Canucks came out of the gate with a strong first period, and really sustained it throughout without any real hiccups along the way. The final result was a sound 4-0 beating, which made amends for the thrashing the Oilers dished out last Saturday night.

Read on Past the Jump for Analysis, and Scoring Chance Data.

It's impossible to start anywhere other than by discussing the performance by the newest Canuck, one Derek Roy. I'm sure that even in his pregame nap dreams he didn't have as good a game as he actually wound up having. Given his pedigree, none of us really should've been caught off guard by how slick he looked out there, but still, it was hard not to be pleasantly surprised. He seamlessly slotted into the second line, centering Chris Higgins and Jannik Hansen.

At least by the scoring chance data (below), that line was about as dominant at 5-on-5 as you'll ever see one be. Their most memorable play of the game came on a perfectly executed 2-on-1 between Roy and Higgins that essentially put a bow on the game. As soon as news of the trade broke on Tuesday, I pictured Derek Roy's presence allowing Ryan Kesler to be unleashed on the right wing - which quite possibly still very well may be the final product - but if those three continue to play anywhere near the level they did on this night, it'll be difficult to split them up.

Speaking of Higgins - I'd be remiss if I didn't make mention of the fact that this is two straight superb efforts by him. I wrote about how badly he was struggling a few weeks ago, and sometimes people think I'm overly critical of this team (despite the fact that I really have no hidden agenda, and would like to think that I call it like I see it), so I'll give him some love. I mean, it's almost as if he began to look better once he started playing with more talented players..

I thought that the Sedins had some questionable moments in the early going against Taylor Hall's line, but they regrouped, and looked like their vintage selves second period. The second goal of the game came on a ridiculous saucer pass from one Sedin to the other; except this time around, it was Henrik on the receiving end (of the pass, not something else, you silly little jokesters). It's moments like those - and there have been a handful of them this season - that make you go, "oh, right, they still got it!"

If I have to pick one thing that I really didn't like in this game from a Canucks perspective, it would have to be the team's power play. I am not at all a fan of having both Hansen and Burrows out there, forcing Daniel to the point. What exactly did Jason Garrison do to warrant being taken off of the top unit? Please let me know if you find out. Now, they actually got a power play tally on a 5-on-3, which was really a 5-on-2 after Jason Garrison killed Jeff Petry with a bomb from the point. And despite all of their troubles, their play with the man advantage as a whole looked fabulous when stacked up against what was a woeful Oilers power play on this night. That wasn't something I would have expected, personally.

Zack Kassian had himself a very strong game. There were definitely a few times where he tried to do too much by getting overly fancy, and this probably isn't the time for him to be going around doing that. But miraculously - probaby thanks to the score of the game - he wasn't glued to the bench at any point, and wound up logging 15:36 of ice-time. He showed glimpses of the play we saw from him early on in the season. It's nice that he was rewarded for his play by scoring one of the most garbage goals of the season with just 4 seconds left. A perfect ending.

Oh, and Cory Schneider had himself his third shutout in the last 7 games. Ho hum. While he wasn't called upon too often, he stopped all 23 shots he was faced with, and made the saves when he needed to. It's nice to have games every once in a while where he doesn't have to be the main story.

So what are the implications of this game for the Canucks? Thanks to Minnesota's sound defeat in Los Angeles, they now have sole possession of the Northwest Division with 11 games left in the season. And hopefully Oilers nation settles down now a little bit, after the Canucks knocked their team around and restored order. All is right with the world once again, at least for the time being.

Next up: they play host to the miserable Calgary Flames on Hockey Night in Canada this Saturday night.

Scoring Chance Data

A chance is counted any time a team directs a shot cleanly on-net from within home-plate. Shots on goal and misses are counted, but blocked shots are not (unless the player who blocks the shot is “acting like a goaltender”). Generally speaking, we are more generous with the boundaries of home-plate if there is dangerous puck movement immediately preceding the scoring chance, or if the scoring chance is screened. If you want to get a visual handle on home-plate, check this image .

Scoring Chance Totals:

1st Period 2nd Period 3rd Period Totals
Oilers (EV) 3 (3) 5 (5) 5 (2) 13 (10)
Canucks (EV) 9 (6) 7 (7) 3 (3) 19 (16)

Individual Chance Contributions:

Jason Garrison 8-6 2-0 0-0 10-6
Alex Edler 8-2 2-0 0-1 10-3
Kevin Bieksa 7-2 1-0 0-1 8-3
Chris Tanev 1-1 0-0 0-2 1-3
Cam Barker 1-1 0-0 0-0 1-1

7482b25b962fb1661ea9028fb4e0db36
Dimitri Filipovic writes about hockey on the internet, and is the Managing Editor of Canucks Army. You can follow him on Twitter @DimFilipovic, and email him at dimitri.filipovic@gmail.com.
#1 KleptoKlown
April 05 2013, 01:11AM

I goofed up on my PVR before work tonight and missed the game...sounds like I missed a gooder!

The Canucks have been good at answering the bell this year after a loop sided loss. The Ducks blew the Canucks out in the opening game of the year, but about a week later, the Canucks shut the Ducks out.

#2 Wetcoaster
April 05 2013, 01:16AM

Can Garrison's shot from the point help keep defenders further from the net in the same way pitchers might try to force batters from crowding the plate?

#3 Joel
April 05 2013, 02:31AM

Higgins had SIX scoring chances? I knew he was having a good game, but you are right, that is pretty much as dominant a line as you are going to see most nights.

And to think, that is going to be our third line (or 2B, whatever) once Kesler comes back.

#4 JI123
April 05 2013, 06:17AM

I just wait for the injury every game caused by Garrison's shot. I really think that if he can do that on the power play and turn the power play into a 2 man, or 3 man power play, he is an asset to the power play, let alone if he can send it on goal for a greasy goal, or slap it right into the net.

#5 Reuben
April 05 2013, 08:03AM
JI123 wrote:

Imagine that big shot grinding down PK defenders during a seven game series too. Might see a lot of flamingos by game 5 or 6.

#6 Graphic Comments
April 05 2013, 08:38AM

What? Edler with a 9-2 chance differential??! Surely those numbers are reversed. :P

#7 Gitagrip
April 05 2013, 09:37AM

Ok, OK, I'll wind my neck in. Well and appropriately played Dimitri. Damn it!

#9 Graham S.
April 05 2013, 09:48AM

Sad to have missed the game - sounds like a beauty.

Dimitri this was a great write up!

#10 Unknown Comic
April 05 2013, 10:06AM

Now I see why Edmonton is dead last in puck possession.

No matter how young they are, with all that hyped "talent" how could they not at least be mid to high 20's in puck possession?

And when they aren't getting lucky on the powerplay they indeed look like little brother getting shut out.

#11 Mantastic
April 05 2013, 10:13AM

@Unknown Comic

wow, someone sounds bitter. i guess that's what 43 years does to you. :(

#12 Unknown Comic
April 05 2013, 10:53AM

Like you, I'm 13 years old. Why would you think I'm 43?

#13 rob
April 05 2013, 10:58AM

@Unknown Comic

I think the 43 years is a reference to the Canucks Cup-less tenure in the league.

#14 BrudnySeaby
April 05 2013, 02:06PM

Nice game to watch. And man, great to see another centre with some good hands! Wow, Roy can pass that puck alright! Therefore I would love to see him play with Raymond and Kassian/Jensen when Kesler gets back. Kesler with Higgins and Hansen could then be our "shutdown" line, like when Kesler played Toews to a draw in the 2011 series.

#15 CanuckleHead
April 05 2013, 02:07PM

Great recap. Didn't get to watch the game, but feel like I did now.

One question though.. where's the Tom Sestito comment? I thought you were doing that until he was off the team!

#16 v
April 05 2013, 06:29PM
Dimitri Filipovic wrote:

I didn't really include this in the recap itself because it was late, and I tend to prefer keeping them shorter, but the Bieksa-Edler pairing had what may have been its best game all season.

I thought Bieksa - after a few bewildering games - was reliable, and we saw how important that is to this team. In the past few, especially against San Jose, it looked like he was high on pain meds or something and was just floating around occasionally trying to land uncalled for hits instead of just playing the man he needed to be playing. Welcome sight.

i dont think there's anyone that would whine about the recaps being too long. word dump away!

unless its part of an overarching plot you are going to put in another article i think more is better unequivocally

#17 Lemming
April 06 2013, 05:33AM

I'd personally like to see Roy-Higgen-Hansen stick together until they start to show signs that it's not working. If Kesler's back soon, just stick him with Raymond (also supposed to be back soon) and Kassian, see how that works out; Kesler can shoot and Kassian can drive the net.