ALL HAIL HALL

Robin Brownlee
April 04 2013 12:00AM

In a game the Edmonton Oilers absolutely, positively had to win to prolong their playoff push, Taylor Hall threw his teammates on his back and carried them to an 8-2 butt-kicking of the Calgary Flames with what might be the best performance of his NHL career.

Leaders do that. Money players have that knack. Franchise guys find a way when it matters most. In just his third season with the Oilers, you can tick all three of those boxes when it comes to Hall, who is leading a charge down the stretch that has fans buzzing and wondering if their team's playoff drought might actually end after six seasons.

The waxing of the Flames has the Oilers on a five-game winning streak and into a playoff position for the time being, and that winning roll has everything to do with Hall, who has 15 points in his last six games and 41 points in 33 games – he's moved into the top-10 in NHL scoring.

Hall had plenty of help of course in the form of linemates Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who had four points, but it was No. 4, without any doubt, who drove the bus in a win that saw the Oilers fall behind 2-0 early before scoring eight straight goals.

What we're seeing unfold right now – and it holds true even if this particular playoff push comes up short – is Hall, still only 21, putting his stamp on this team far faster than even the most optimistic fan could have hoped during a rebuild that's taken longer than the faithful would like.

It's a stunning juxtaposition.

WHILE I'M AT IT

. . . Hall aside, the Oilers pulled away in this one by taking a page out of the book the Detroit Red Wings have long relied on by turning the other cheek when the Flames tried to take the game to the alley. Three power-play goals in the second period, by Nail Yakupov, Hall and Nugent-Hopkins, put the Oilers up 5-2 through 40 minutes.

Overmatched physically by a sagging and frustrated Flames team that's headed the wrong direction in a big hurry, the Oilers didn't try to answer blow for blow. They used their heads instead of their fists – they don’t have much choice, given the make-up of this roster.

While I'd still like to see the Oilers tweak their line-up between now and next season by adding players who can better handle the physicality of teams like the Flames, making them pay on the scoreboard, as the saying goes, works just fine as long as the power-play clicks as Edmonton's has this season.

. . . That said, ready and willing and Mike Brown again showed that there's value in having a physical element. While he got his nose bent in a scrap with Steve Begin, his willingness to pay the price early when the game could have got away from the Oilers helped turned the tide.

Buckle up. Helluva ride to come.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 The Soup Fascist
April 04 2013, 10:15AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Hello,

My name is Gavin and I have a confession. I was a Seguin-ite. Yes, i know...it all looked so clear - a future center that would dominate the play and didn't have the reckless/dangerous attitude of Hall? Slam Dunk right? I thought taking Taylor was a mistake and that Tyler would be the better player. Those of us in the Seguin camp felt superior to the 'low brow' Hall fans.

I have now seen the error in my ways. I apologize to any Hall supporters at the time for calling you such things as 'ignorant', 'neadertholic', 'off your rocker' etc. I was wrong and I hang my head in shame.

Taylor Hall is a champion. A goddamn champion.

And he is ours.

That is all.

Sincerely,

I'm a Scientist!

Good Luck. Overcoming Tyler-colism is no day at the beach. You are on your way now, though. Only 11 more steps.

#52 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 04 2013, 10:20AM
Serious Gord wrote:

1. Hall is having a good - bordering on great season. He seems to be on track to being one of the very elite.

2. The oil is NOT in eighth using proper - read baseball-style metrics. They are ninth behind St. Louis as they are just one point back with two games at hand.

3. Last night they beat what was arguably the worst team ever put on the ice in the entire history of the Calgary flames. Several AHL teams could have thumped them.

4. Tambellini admitted on Tuesday that he did nothing of substance at the deadline because he doesn't want to upset a run for the playoffs. Naturally this also serves his passive personality perfectly and will also blind many of the fans to the opportunity Lost and buy him more time.

WOW! I thought I was going to get through ONE article without DSF but then ......Mini Me shows up!

I like to think of DSF as Dr. Evil, and that would make not so serious Gord his son.....Scott Evil!

How tall are you Gord? Which one is more representative Mini or Scott?

#53 StHenriOilBomb
April 04 2013, 10:33AM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

How tall are you Gord? Which one is more representative Mini or Scott?

Serious Gord speaks the truth. Let him be a pessimist, it'll keep the rest of us a little more honest.

Back to the article...

Punishing teams with the power-play can be extremely effective. Where I worry about it working is late in the playoffs when penalties become a rarity. Vancouver's 2010 outlook was very much this way, and it worked beautifully until the finals when the only penalties called were of the blatant sort. Their opponents smartly played right up to that line, and never allowed Van's PP to gain any momentum. They were a more skilled team who got beat up over the course of the playoffs to a point where they had no way to counter Boston's punishing style.

I worry about the Oilers in this regard.

Although Ebs and Hall are big game scorers...

we'll see.

#54 Carlos Danger
April 04 2013, 10:34AM
Serious Gord wrote:

I know it has been a while but the whole fun of a playoff run is the ups and downs. You need to live in the highs so you don't kill yourself with the lows.

Note: Disregard this message if you grew up in the Great Depression. For some reason my grandfather also revels in misery and gets a great deal of pleasure in complaining. If your balls are rusty and dragging on the ground then I am sorry for telling you how to act, sir.

#55 Lochenzo
April 04 2013, 10:52AM

I know there's a lot of excitement about the Jays and baseball season firing up here. But let's not use baseball metrics to alter the Oilers' place in the standings.

#56 oilerjed
April 04 2013, 11:14AM

@StHenriOilBomb

I disagree with you to the extent that penalties dried up, but alot of it had to do with the CanTnucks being unable to push the other team back for a period of time, forcing them to do something stupid. Whether we can is still to be seen but the CanTnucks window has closed and ours is opening just a wee bit. We are a much faster team as well IMO.

#57 OutDoorRink
April 04 2013, 11:23AM

I have to laugh at 'fans' who are still doubting what Tambellini has done for our team.

I would have gone ballistic if he would have made a trade simply to make a trade on deadline day just to make the whiners happy. We have a plan and throwing that out the window now would be Feaster-Grade madness.

I'm sure that when we're challenging for the Cup there will still be armchair GM's lamenting the fact that we took Taylor over Tyler and Yak over Murray etc etc etc.

Tambellini appears to have made mostly the right moves all along.

#58 Serious Gord
April 04 2013, 12:03PM

Sthenri: I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist. The hysteria from some oil fans only hurts the quest for the cup as it takes the pressure off of mgmt to stick to that quest and rewards them for focussing on making the playoffs.

OUtdoorrink: KL&T have been a disaster. Take away the high picks that the oil "earned" by finishing last and they are the at or near the worst management team of this Millenium.

Scientist:

Tyler and Taylor were 1a and 1b. At the time I thought Seguin was the better - marginally - than the two. And I remain of the same opinion. 25 games does not make a career. Seguin is a centre and has spectacular +/- stats. And like hall he has the hates-to-lose attitude that all the greats have.

That said, as I said at the time KL&T had NO choice but to pick hall. He was the Mem cup MVP for chrissake. No one could look away from that fact.

And hall should have been made th captain earlier this season when he was the only thing going well. Horcoff lacks the fire and natural leader characteristics that hall has.

#59 Taylor Gang
April 04 2013, 12:29PM

Why does this all happen when I'm in Mexico?!?! Seriously I got back yesterday and after the Morrow trade I was cut off. What the F?! The entire landscape has changed

#60 non-serious gord
April 04 2013, 12:40PM
Serious Gord wrote:

Scientist:

Actually Gord, Seguin plays wing in the nhl, centre was his junior position but he has played very little centre so far. As for his plus/minus, this is a team statistic and his high number is a reflection of being on a dominant defensive team. Not including this season, Hall has still scored more points than Seguin in less games. Just sayin.

#61 John
April 04 2013, 12:41PM

@The Soup Fascist

Yet again, it is totally premature to start saying people were wrong about Seguin vs. Hall. While Hall is lighting it up this year, Seguin was lighting it up last year. You can argue Seguin was playing on a better team but Hall isn't playing with bit players either. If it wasn't for Hopkins we still wouldn't have a #1 center. If Hall is way better than Seguin we should have drafted Hall. But thats the problem, he isn't. They are and will be very close for their entire careers and when its that close you go with need. Seguin was also projected to be the better player long term, not in 2-3 years. As people have said, you have to wait until the careers are over until you can assess these players.

Both players are great, but when they are that close you go with the center.

#62 StHenriOilBomb
April 04 2013, 12:47PM

Oilerjed: There is definitely a rougher game allowed in the finals every year. Unless there is a dangerous play, or a scoring chance is blatantly negated, most things slide with the refs. I agree though, that the lack of push-back hurt their pp time. They managed to get to game 7 though, so a couple of more pp's (broken back on an interference call) could have swayed things. I'm not griping, just trying to face the reality that the finals can be an all out battle.

Serious Gord: you can be both a realist and a pessimist. Yo ain't popping my balloon just yet. I'm waiting for the Oilers to do that in the final few games of the season. ;)

edit: spelling

#63 Serious Gord
April 04 2013, 12:57PM
non-serious gord wrote:

I stand corrected. I, like most here out west, don't see much of Seguin's play and I'm sure when I did see him he was playing centre. And in the bruins site he's listed as a centre.

As for plus/minus - yes it's a team stat to some degree but Seguin led the league last year if I recall and not by a small margin. This year he's second on the team - one point behind Bergeron at 22. And just 4 behind the league leader Sid.

And point stats can be misleading too - just look at Glenn Anderson's bloated stats - never played a minute of time against the other teams first line and he's in the HHOF.

#64 OutDoorRink
April 04 2013, 01:00PM

The Oilers are on a serious roll right now and whether we make it into the playoffs or not is insignificant at this time. What we needed to see this year is growth and we're seeing that is spades right now.

The boys are becoming men right before our very eyes. This is fun and it's gonna be fun for a long time because Tambellini and Lowe did not make knee-jerk deals to make armchair GM's happy. Because of the work that these two men (and many others) have done, we now have a solid foundation for years to come.

Props to Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini. You've built a team that is the envy of most other managers and many of the players as well. You've created an atmosphere of excellence and now we fans get to reap the rewards.

Or most of us will. Some will just continue to complain because we didn't trade Hall and a draft pick for Clowe or some other rent-a-player.

#65 OutDoorRink
April 04 2013, 01:04PM

Can't be taken seriously Gord.

Are you kidding about Anderson? You must be kidding, right? If you're not kidding, then you never saw Glenny in action. The guy was a master at what he did and what he did was sacrifice everything to win Stanley Cups. Anderson was one of the players that, if you ask the Oilers of that era, was invaluable in any situation.

To sell Glenn Anderson short is really...pathetic. I'm glad you don't have anything to do with HHF voting.

#66 bored
April 04 2013, 01:05PM

@John

Nope.

Hall has an intangible that very few player will ever possess, he's a warrior and a winner, this quality can only be identified by watching him and not focusing on stats. Seguin can be an elite player along the lines of Ryan Getzlaf, Jason Spezza, Doug Gilmour, etc.

Hall has the ability to be a great player along the lines of Messier, Yzerman, Sakic...not so much in style, but in impact. I would happily build a team around Taylor Hall, more importantly, a championship team can be built around Taylor Hall as the centerpiece.

The Oilers drafted the right players. We are going to be very good.

#67 rindog
April 04 2013, 01:14PM
oilerjed wrote:

Rindog I'm pretty sure we are in agreement that was pointed at serious gord's reply to you. One thing I'll add is that STL is on the road for 4 of the next 5, downside they are 3 games over .500 on the road.

My bad, I see you just quoted serious gords reply...

#68 rindog
April 04 2013, 01:17PM
Serious Gord wrote:

Ridiculous.

If the oil was one point ahead and the blues had ten games in hand you would say that the oil is ahead?

That's like betting on a horse that has won more races yet had finishing times that were far inferior to the other horses in the race.

Show me when there has ever been a time when another team has had 10 games in hand???

Fact of the matter is that until another team has more points than the Oilers, the Oilers are ahead of them in the standings.

#69 The Soup Fascist
April 04 2013, 01:26PM
John wrote:

Both players are great, but when they are that close you go with the center.

There would be some consideration (maybe) if Seguin was playing center but he is a center in name only and has played wing for the bulk of his career. I am not putting down Seguin - would love to have him here - just saying in my estimation I think Hall is a much more valuable and dynamic player. I think (assuming no major injuries), the gap will continue to widen. Feel free to disagree.

#70 Serious Gord
April 04 2013, 01:32PM
OutDoorRink wrote:

Can't be taken seriously Gord.

Dead serious about GA. Played second line his entire career - with mess as his centre. Talk about point inflation.

Meanwhile Theoren fleury played first line almost his whole career - with far weaker partners - played a more fully dimensional game the GA and 1088 PTs just 11 fewer than GA and in a hundred fewer games. AND he isn t going to the hall.

Playoff points are irrelevant - or should be - as its not the players fault they play on a less competitive team.

GA is undeserving in the same way that Clarke gillies shouldn't be in the HHOF.

#71 rindog
April 04 2013, 01:34PM
Serious Gord wrote:

Do you even watch hockey games?

The fact that you are trying to downplay Anderson's accomplishments tells every single person onthis site how little you really know about the game.

#72 OilersBrass
April 04 2013, 01:37PM

Are people really making this Taylor, Tyler argument!? Seguin was drafted into an all-star team while Hall was drafted into the WORST team in the league. Could you imagine what Halls numbers would be like if he was on the Bruins? I can't believe people still talk about this, it's pretty clear Hall is the better player, and not to mention he is a leader.

#73 Serious Gord
April 04 2013, 02:01PM
rindog wrote:

Do you even watch hockey games?

Watched GA play plenty. Also watched fleury and lindros and others who were more deserving to be in the HHOF. Stop being such a homer and look at the whole league of players.

Surely you are aware what a close little club the HHOF committee is - worse even than the group that decsides who coaches and plays on our international teams. GA and gillies et al got in the HHOF because of politics - just as fleury and lindros did not.

#74 Serious Gord
April 04 2013, 02:13PM
OilersBrass wrote:

It is quite possible that Hall's numbers would be lower. HE definitely wouldn't be getting the minutes he's getting now and Boston plays a much tighter defensive game - a game that is far more physical than the oilers play and it is an open question how well hall's type of play would hold up - read: would he be injured even more often than he has - with the bruins.

No way you can make the declarative "it's pretty clear Hall is the better player, and not to mention he is a leader" (Seguin has shown some pretty good leadership chops the few times i have watched him play.)

#75 StHenriOilBomb
April 04 2013, 02:19PM
bored wrote:

Nope.

The Oilers drafted the right players. We are going to be very good.

woah there. Hall's on a hell of a roll, but let's wait a little while before making these kind of comparisons. It would be awesome, and isn't impossible, but give the kid at least a full season of success first.

#76 Oil Greg
April 04 2013, 02:20PM

I had no intention of writing a comment today, just stopped by to have a glance. Bu ... I am flabbergasted by anyone who could marginalize the accomplishments of Glenn Anderson. The guy was fearless, a true warrior, and he had an unbelievable skill-set that included blazing speed. he could play, and did play, against all levels of competetion...including the Russians when that meant something.

The reason Gleen Anderson is in the HHOF, and the reason he has the admiration of his peers has nothing to do with stats. What this guy brought to the table when games were on the line was the difference between his team winning & losing. I am not trying to imply Edmonton won their cups because of him, but he certainly made a meaningful impact. The fact that he was picked up by the NYR just prior to their winning the cup in '94 (in a trade for another HHOF'er) is no coincidence...

#77 OilersBrass
April 04 2013, 02:20PM
Serious Gord wrote:

I guess we'll agree to disagree! :)

#78 Serious Gord
April 04 2013, 03:03PM
Oil Greg wrote:

He loafed. A lot, too.

He never was the number one winger on any line on any team he played for. He was never even the number two best rt winger in the league ever.

And his playoff pts - came on the second line with mess after gretz' line had played for 30 min - tearing apart and exhausting the #1 line and #2 line of the opponent. Andersen had an excellent ability to score at the end of the other teams shift - his ability to loaf and have energy for the short burst served him even better in the playoffs.

He played 23 playoff games for NYR - got 6 pts. Irrelevant.

Players who will go through a wall to win are a dime a dozen - there are even a few playing at the nearest beer league. Andersen had no monopoly on that.

But there are several (a dozen?) of much better players than GA who are not in the HHOF who played during GA's time - who were far more dominant at the position they played - who played night -in night-out the very best player's on the opponent's team. GA's nomination - like gillies' - was a travesty and an injustice.

Get your head out of the oiler fan cloud (and bring KAtz with you) and recognize the some of the players on those great teams were over-rated.

#79 Ed in Canada
April 04 2013, 03:44PM
Serious Gord wrote:

He loafed. A lot, too.

He played 23 playoff games for NYR - got 6 pts. Irrelevant.

#80 OilGreg
April 04 2013, 04:03PM
Ed in Canada wrote:

"Get your head out of the oiler fan cloud"

Actually, I lived on the coast through the 80's and was a Canuck fan.

"I agree that there a many players who would "go through a wall to win" but only a few actual do go through the wall and GA was one of them."

And ... there are only a few who are CAPABLE of going through a wall. GA is in that elite category.

To compare, today you have Crosby & Toews who are in that category. Others could also be named, but it is a pretty exclusive grouping...thus the HHOF.

#81 NewAgeSys
April 04 2013, 05:03PM

We all remember GA, he wasnt being busted up early in the year and he was always at about 60% in the regular season, but he threw down 110% come playoff time and I always remember understanding that and by god I was fine with it, we didnt have any more room for more stardom on that team, and GA still found a way into the HHOF, Kudos to him, I envy his career.

Fame has little to do with statistics, success has to do with statistics, and it isnt the Hockey Hall of Success now is it? No one REMEMBERS the other fellas, it is what it is, and we ALL remember GAs suicide cuts to REAL hockey nets. Maybe thats a lesson to guys who want to be in the HHOF one day, make your mark, dont be one

#82 Chet134
April 04 2013, 07:58PM
Serious Gord wrote:

I totally agree with you.