CanucksArmy Podcast Episode 1 (Part I)

CanucksArmy Podcast
April 22 2013 10:31AM

Grab a pal and listen to the Canucks Army podcast. All the cool Naslunds are doing it!
Photograph by Jeff Vinnick

Hey so here's a spot of cool Canucks Army news: we're relaunching our podcast in advance of the postseason!

The plan is drop an episode every week, though we may produce more audio content depending on the ebb and flow of Canucks news. In today's premiere episode, we're joined by Vancouver Province beat-writer Jason Botchford, and Sportsnet host and reporter Dan Murphy.

Click past the jump to listen!

In part one, Dan Murphy joins us to discuss Vancouver's injury situation, the team's identity (or lack thereof), and objective sports coverage in an era of broadcast rightsholders dictating coverage and the sporting news cycle.

Then, twenty-two minutes in, we pass the mic to Jason Botchford who chats about Andrew Ebbett on the third line, the team's all-in efforts at the trade deadline, and whether or not the Canucks should burn Frank Corrado's ELC year in the somewhat unlikely event that he proves ready to contribute this season:

Stream Part I here:

Part 1

Or alternatively if you want to download the podcast and listen to it on your iPhone, you can do that here.

Botchford and I chatted for about fifty minutes so I had to split the podcast up and do it in two parts. In "Part II" we covered some Bure stuff, some Luongo stuff and Vancouver's inability to significantly retool should the team suffer a first round elimination again this spring. Check back a bit later today if you're interested in all of that (Update: now posted).

One final note, this is our first effort, so we're eager to hear your feedback. Are there any questions you have that you'd like us to address in a future episode? Also, we're working on getting the podcast onto iTunes. If you enjoy listening we'll let you know how you can subscribe once we've dotted our i's and crossed our t's on that front.

066c1fa5114edfeaa2b3af49a4b25728
This is the official account of the CanucksArmy Podcast.
#1 Quinn
April 22 2013, 10:40AM

Looks like the link's busted (access key's expired or something), but the direct link works: https://s3.amazonaws.com/thenationnetwork/podcasts/CanucksArmy/new+folder/CanucksArmy+Podcast+Episode1.mp3

#2 Thomas Drance
April 22 2013, 10:44AM

@Quinn not sure what happened there. It's now fixed in the post.

#3 Zack
April 22 2013, 10:46AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you only burn a year off an ELC contract if a player plays over 5 regular season games and it doesn't apply to the playoffs? Is that not the case?

#4 Thomas Drance
April 22 2013, 10:51AM

@Zack that's not the case no.

#5 Thomas Drance
April 22 2013, 10:51AM

@Zack that's not the case no.

#6 Jesse
April 22 2013, 11:39AM

Great podcast. The only issue I have is that the audio's really echoey on your end. Any way to fix that?

#7 Thomas Drance
April 22 2013, 11:46AM

I was using a mic but perhaps I'll record in a different room next time?

#8 acg5151
April 22 2013, 06:53PM

That music made this podcast much less credible.

#9 acg5151
April 22 2013, 06:53PM

Other than that, great job!

#10 great podcast
April 22 2013, 07:38PM

Great podcast, intelligent question. Nice to hear Botch and Murphy on the feed.

Re: Tanev. When people say it's rare to have a d-man like him come onto a playoff team (a SCF team) and perform like he did - it's beyond rare. It's so rare I can't even recall an example other than him. To expect Corrado to be the next Tanev, well, it's pretty simply not possible.

Kassian. Agree with Botch about the product on the ice vs. product off it. First off, it has to be tough in his situation. Hot bed Cdn hockey market, everyone knows how you are, you're a young kid and now social media has taken over the world. Those are tough combination. He and some of the younger Canucks hit the town on Sat night. You could pretty much follow along with everything they were up to, and I don't even live in Van. Was pretty disturbed at some of the 'alleged' activities and comments from Kass that night. Calling Hodsgon a pus***. Picking up blond chicks at the bar when you have a long term girlfriend (that everyone knows about) at home on the east coast. I'm a female. This stuff was hard to hear about 'if' it's true. Given it was reported by multiple twitter accounts, I'd imagine it was. I don't know, I know it's none of my business. But this kid is having a very up and down season with the team - really it's not unexpected cause he's so young. But this off-ice stuff is gonna hurt him (and perhaps his relationship) in this market. He has to be smarter. His older teammates need to talk to him.