Canucks Win Game In Which Everything Happens: Recap and Chance Data

Dimitri Filipovic
March 15 2013 12:18AM

Jannik Hansen made it look way too easy on this night.

If you read my preview for this game, I thank you for taking the time to do so, and appreciate your click. But boy, I could not have been more wrong. I listed a few less than flattering offensive statistics regarding the Nashville Predators, before citing the last meeting between these two teams as the reason why this would be a snooze fest.

Instead, what we were treated to was one of the more exciting Canucks games of the entire season. And quite frankly, a game which featured just about everything you'd want to see as a fan. Goals, a penalty shot, momentum swingers fights, and some more goals. It had it all. What it also had, was a final result that saw the Canucks earn two points with a 7-4 victory.

Read on Past the Jump for Analysis, and Scoring Chance Data.

We usually start with the scoring chance data, so we will again here. But honestly, I wouldn't read too much into it. You'll notice that there are some ugly numbers below for the Canucks; which may not be as ugly once you put them into perspective. Essentially the Predators had one thoroughly impressive shift in the 2nd period where they kept the Canucks hemmed in, registering 4 scoring chances. And then they did a ton of their damage in the second half of the third period as the Canucks were nursing a 3-goal lead. The overall numbers will skew things, making a lot of individual performance look worse than they actually were.

The Raymond-Ebbett-Hansen line was the difference in this one, yet they finished the night with a negative scoring chance differential as a unit. Oh well. They combined for three goals, with Jannik Hansen doing the majority of the work. There must be a reason he was named 'TSN's Chevrolet Electric Player of the Game'. He was a blur all night, and his speed/tenacity single-handedly created two of the scores. The third was a product of exceptional, fundamentally solid team play. I simply loved the goal that made it 3-1 late in the 1st. Andrew Alberts made a great pass to get it to Bieksa - while in some distress deep in his own zone - who quickly got it to Hansen. Ultimately, Raymond finished off a sequence that saw every player on the ice make a contribution.

Speaking of Bieksa, I was happy to see him back in there, but he had a rather forgettable night. The first goal against came after a brutal turnover in the defensive zone, and the second goal went in off his skate. He was eventually reunited with Edler, and they both looked incredibly soft en route to the 4th goal for the Predators. I'm willing to give him somewhat of a free pass given the fact that he just missed 6 straight games. But he needs to be better.

How about Steve Pinizzotto, eh? In his first NHL shift, he took a healthy run at Kevin 'Don't Call Me Calvin' Klein, before ultimately dropping the mitts with him. His linemates for the night, Weise and Lapierre, each had eventful nights as well. Weise had a fight with Rich Clune, which featured 239238120 missed punches. Nonetheless, there's no denying the two combatants made up for their lack of technique and fighting ability with enthusiasm. As for Lapierre, he scored a beauty of a goal after exiting the penalty box.

One of my final notes was "Canucks score 5 goals without anything from the Sedins, nice luxury!" That came with roughly 5 minutes left. What followed was a handful of scoring chances, and eventually a ridiculous move by Henrik Sedin on a penalty shot to put the game on ice. Chris Mason is still looking for his jockstrap, I think.

Zack Kassian had quite a promising start to the game, as he used his size to create some quality opportunities. Unfortunately as the game went along he turned the puck over, and wound up being stapled to the bench. At least he has Keith Ballard to console him.

And finally, let's give it up to David Booth, who finally scored his first of the season. All it took was 11 games, 26 shots on goal, and an empty net.

Scoring Chance Data

A chance is counted any time a team directs a shot cleanly on-net from within home-plate. Shots on goal and misses are counted, but blocked shots are not (unless the player who blocks the shot is “acting like a goaltender”). Generally speaking, we are more generous with the boundaries of home-plate if there is dangerous puck movement immediately preceding the scoring chance, or if the scoring chance is screened. If you want to get a visual handle on home-plate, check this image.

Scoring Chance Totals:

1st Period 2nd Period 3rd Period Totals
Predators (EV) 3 (3) 5 (5) 7 (4) 15 (12)
Canucks (EV) 4 (3) 3 (2) 5 (5) 12 (10)

Individual Scoring Chances:

Jason Garrison 1-6 0-1 0-0 1-7
Kevin Bieksa 4-4 0-0 0-0 4-4
Alex Edler 7-4 0-2 2-0 9-4
Chris Tanev 4-2 0-2 0-0 4-4
Andrew Alberts 2-1 0-2 0-0 2-3

7482b25b962fb1661ea9028fb4e0db36
Dimitri Filipovic writes about hockey on the internet, and is the Managing Editor of Canucks Army. You can follow him on Twitter @DimFilipovic, and email him at dimitri.filipovic@gmail.com.
#1 Joel
March 15 2013, 12:31AM

Henrik's deke was a thing of beauty on the penalty shot... but did anyone else laugh a bit the way he finished it off by shooting it into the net ever so gently while Mason was sliding off camera?

It was almost like he reverted to instinct and tried to make a pass in the blue paint.

#2 immie_8
March 15 2013, 12:36AM

Do you happen to keep track of the score-tied/score-close numbers? I find those quite helpful in evaluating a game.

#3 Betty Henderson
March 15 2013, 01:07AM

I don't know WHY I continue to read these "analysis" of the Games. I just laughed when you said Bieksa "Has to be better" . He has been off with an INJURY, first Game back. You guys haven't much to write about if you can pick on things like that. hellllooooo 7-4, I think the Canucks played JUST FINE THANKS. I give up.

#4 Jay
March 15 2013, 01:34AM
Betty Henderson wrote:

@Betty

Despite scoring 7 goals they still gave up 4. There is always room for improvement.

#5 Graham S.
March 15 2013, 09:39AM

@ Better Henderson - child please.

If you can't admit Bieksa needs to be better than you've got to be his wife. People were saying it prior to his injury, and they'll be saying it after if his play doesn't improve.

Note, Dimitri acknowledged it was his first game back too....

Great write up though I'm confused as how Jannik Hansen only had one chance created when he had a goal and a first assist?

#7 billm
March 15 2013, 10:48AM

@Dimitri Filipovic

I'm curious if Elder's goal counts as a scoring chance under your system of "from the home plate" being the criteria for a scoring chance. Did Raymond's goal log as a chance due to the puck movement prior to the shot?

#9 Mj
March 15 2013, 11:19AM

Hey Dimitri, I just stumbled across this blog recently. I just wanted to say it's refreshing to read a Canucks blog that doesn't sound opinionated and/or entitled. It's pretty great seeing the stats after watching the game. It really gives a deeper sense to the game. I don't usually comment on blogs, so yeah, thanks dude. Great blog.

#10 Betty Henderson
March 15 2013, 11:25AM

@Graham S.

Stop with the "Men only, comments please" attitude. Bieksa is one of the Mainstays of this Team. He just makes it BETTER for a number of reasons.That is just NOT my opinion. Everybody in life, COULD probably be better, even you most likely. By the way , the "Child" comment was uncalled for.- Bitch , please,my Name is BETTY.

#11 billm
March 15 2013, 11:40AM

@Dimitri Filipovic

Thanks for the explanation Dimitri.

#12 Brent
March 15 2013, 01:22PM

"Canucks score 5 goals without anything from the Sedins, nice luxury!"

But Henrik assisted on the Edler goal as he won the faceoff. Or do you just mean goals, not assists?

#13 Gilchy
March 15 2013, 01:33PM

My only issue with the "home plate" definition of scoring chances is that it excludes point shots. I get why they're not included, but Edler/Garrison/etc will have their personal scoring chances "artificially" low, in a way.

Dimitri, you referenced it above, the Canucks (especially Sedinds this year) play a perimeter game that naturally doesn't lend itself to a high "scoring chance" count.

#14 Unknown Comic
March 15 2013, 03:03PM
Gilchy wrote:

Point shots are counted if there is traffic, significant puck movement or a tip in front.

"Perimeter game" is a lazy narrative that has been proven false in Mason Raymond's case through shot distance comparisons.

I would imagine a simular comparison on the Sedins' and/or the team would result in simular findings.