Canucks Army Postgame: Canucks Show They Certainly Don't *Lack* Guts

Dimitri Filipovic
October 25 2013 09:27PM

Say what you will about the Vancouver and their performance during the 7-game roadtrip (and about people who begin sentences with "say what you will.."), but a 5-1-1 record all things considered is more than impressive. Especially considering the way they capped it off against the Blues with a 3-2 overtime victory. The operative term here is "gutsy", which I'm sure you'll see bandied about on your Twitter timeline, deservedly so.

Read on past the jump for a recap of what went down.

The Story

"Obviously given everything I've just mentioned, it's easy to see why the Blues are considered to be heavy favourites to take care of business in this game. However, let me just say that I wouldn't exactly be stunned if the Canucks put up a better fight than you may think they'd be capable of.. it's sports, and sometimes when something seems to be way too good to be true, it usually is. I'm just sayin'".

That was from the preview of the game which I posted this afternoon. As someone who has followed a variety of sports very closely for years now, I tend to get spooked when everyone and their grandmother talks about how lopsided a game is going to be. I wouldn't have put money on the Canucks winning or anything, but I just put it out there that I could definitely envision a scenario where they surprised people with their showing. I'm glad they made me look like I kinda sorta know what I'm talking about.

At the bottom of that preview was also a recommendation for a bet that would give you 6-to-1 if Ryan Kesler scored a goal and the Canucks won. Well.. he scored two of them (including the power play tally in OT that won the game), giving him 7 on the year now. That means he's now on pace for 44 goals, which would certainly make me (and many others) look silly were it to happen. I was fairly vocal in my opinion that he was more of a 25-goal guy this preseason, pleading with people to temper their expectations and settle down.

Obviously I didn't anticipate that he would be routinely playing in the mid 20's per game, with 54 shots on goal in 13 games to his name. I also didn't expect him to play with the Sedins at 5v5 like he has over the past handful of games. He has been ridiculous, and it's hard to even imagine what kind of shape the Canucks would be in right now wihtout him. I think it speaks to the mentality that has accompanied being a Canucks fan for life that I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop with him. But for now, there's nothing we can do but enjoy the ride..

Before the game I joked that it would be awesome to see John Tortorella pull a Gregg Popovich and send his stars home, conceding the loss in this one. I thought the Sedins actually had their least effective showing of the season in this game heading into the overtime period. I can't remember them generating fewer promising scoring opportunities than they did here, failing to ever really even sustain pressure with the puck possession we've come to expect from them. Hard to blame them though since they played 24 and 25 minutes respectively tonight after having topped 25 minutes last night as well. They must be exhausted. Plus, they played a part in setting up Kesler's winner with just 15 seconds left to go.

What followed the goal was one of the more bizarre endings to a game I've seen in some time.. as soon as Kesler scored David Backes went after Daniel Sedin (while Barrett Jackman went after Kesler), and a scrum ensued. Backes, ever the classy gentleman, finally received some penalty minutes with his misconduct and roughing penalty after it seemed like he could do as he pleased without the worry of a whistle throughout the game.

He blatantly went after Tom Sestito following a whistle in the 3rd period, and went down like a sack of potatoes to draw a penalty on Bieksa (which led to the 1st goal for the Blues) late in the 2nd. I'd love to hear what was going through his head when he went after Daniel on that play, but I doubt we'll here from him since he probably had to rush home to check on Kelly following the conclusion of the game. After all, Ryan Kesler is in town..

As for the newcomers, Pelletier and Archibald, I thought they were as effective as you could have hoped for in their season debut. That 4th line along with Yannick Weber actually had a couple of decent shifts, which pretty much instantly makes it the best showing from a Canucks 4th line that we've seen all year. Burrows is set to come back so we'll probably see one of them get sent back down, and I hope it's not Archibald, who I think has the potential to be a very serviceable depth forward at the NHL level.

The Numbers


Image via Extra Skater .

As you see by the shot attempt totals the Canucks were actually more than holding their through, oh I'd say, the first 30-35 minutes of the game. After that their heavy legs decided to really show, and by the end of the game you could tell they were just trying to hang on for dear life.

Which brings us to Eddie Lack, who was once again very solid. He stopped 22 of 24 shots he faced, and is surely showing both the Canucks brass and their fans that he can be relied upon to spell Roberto Luongo from time to time and avoid forcing the 34-year old to start more than somewhere between 60 and 65 games. 

As for the power play opportunity situation, the Canucks only drew 2 of them again in this one (one of which was a 4-minute minor that drew blood on a high stick). I highly doubt that the league is "against them", but it's hard not to take issue with the 2 infractions they were whistled for themselves late in the 2nd period when they're not getting any of those calls themselves. 

My one issue with Tortorella coming out of this game is why he didn't utilize the Higgins-Santorelli-Kassian combination more throughout the game. He started the game with Richardson on that line, but by the 2nd period Kassian was back up there and they were back to getting up to stuff. I really like that combination and think they have a chance to be effective. Kassian needs to stay out of the penalty box, and getting into a fight doesn't exactly help with that. Burrows' return to could put a wrench in those plans, though. Oh well.

7482b25b962fb1661ea9028fb4e0db36
Dimitri Filipovic writes about hockey on the internet, and is the Managing Editor of Canucks Army. You can follow him on Twitter @DimFilipovic, and email him at dimitri.filipovic@gmail.com.
Avatar
#51 JFR
October 26 2013, 02:26PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

I don't mind Kassian fighting. I believe at this point in his career it gets him into games and sometimes guys need to hate their opponents to get fired up. I thought the Canucks would go about 4-3 on this trip so I am pleasantly surprised! I have said all along that this has been a better road team than home team. It's time for Torts to put a BIG emphasis on being a tougher team at home.

Avatar
#52 5minutesinhebox
October 26 2013, 02:31PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
7
props
S and M wrote:

The Canucks need to realize that the Blues are good but not quite there yet. The real standard lies with teams like Chicago, Boston, LA, San jose, Avs, Pens. The bar is much higher than what I see coming from the Canucks. If you can't beat those teams convincingly , you got no chance to win the cup. There's no such thing as a lucky champ.

Actually that is completely untrue. Luck plays a big part in winning the cup, or even getting there. Injuries, having your team hit its stride at the right time (see LA), getting lucky enough to win a round you probably shouldnt have (see Boston vs Tampa and Toronto).

I love how all of the sudden the Avs are elite. 10 games into the season and they are the team to beat? The Blues are probably the toughest team in the league to play against. They wont over power you with offence but their team defence transition game is excellent.

Considering the Canucks were on the end of a ridiculous road trip, being short an entire line, having a 4th line made up of AHLers (who played great), and it took the Blues a 2 man advantage to get back into the game, this was easily the Canucks most gutsy effort this season.

Good teams find a way to win. Its that simple. It doesnt need to be pretty all of the time, but you dont go 5-1-1 on a road trip just being lucky.

Avatar
#53 JFR
October 26 2013, 02:33PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
7
props

I think it's time for Torts to take a fine from the league and blow up at the refs for their calls vs the Canucks and non-calls for their opponents. Every time I watch an opposing teams broadcast they talk about the Canucks "reputation" for diving and cheap shots.... It's bS and it seems the refs have bought into it. Take the fine and put a spot light on the refs. The retribution won't be much because the opposition has double the PPs already. Guess with all that puck possession time the Nucks never get held tripped or interfered with. Ridiculous!

Avatar
#54 5mintuesinthebox
October 26 2013, 02:45PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
8
props
NM00 wrote:

"the Canucks did what they had to do to win."

You mean show up to the rink for a scheduled work day?

"Say anything you want but this was just a gutsy win"

I didn't know 'gusty' was a synonym for 'luck'.

"Admit it, youre impressed"

The only impressive performance the Canucks have had this season was last Saturday afternoon.

We are all Canucks...

How is it luck? The Canucks controlled play for 2 periods, and then the Blues were given a 2 man advantage on 2 calls that shouldnt even have been called. So if anyone was lucky it was the Blues. Without that 2 man advantage the Canucks win this game regulation by 2.

They did what they had to do to win. Weathering the storm through a 3rd period where they looked totally gassed, and then taking over play in overtime.

All of this on the tail end of a brutal road trip, missing what would constitute a 2nd line, with a 4th line of AHLers, and their back up goalie.

You can be as pessimistic as you wanna be. Disappoint will do that to a guy. Im just going to sit back and enjoy this one.

Avatar
#55 Ruprecht
October 26 2013, 03:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props
JFR wrote:

I think it's time for Torts to take a fine from the league and blow up at the refs for their calls vs the Canucks and non-calls for their opponents. Every time I watch an opposing teams broadcast they talk about the Canucks "reputation" for diving and cheap shots.... It's bS and it seems the refs have bought into it. Take the fine and put a spot light on the refs. The retribution won't be much because the opposition has double the PPs already. Guess with all that puck possession time the Nucks never get held tripped or interfered with. Ridiculous!

Not while we're winning. Besides, it's fruitless to take your gripes with the league out through the press and has historically done more bad for teams than good. Send a tastefully packaged video to prove your case, ask them to look into it and move on. We earned the reputation, now we have to earn our way out of it. From what I've seen this year I think we're well on the way to doing that.

Avatar
#56 S and M
October 26 2013, 03:26PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
1
props

@5minutesinhebox

You read way too much into the regular season, man. I gave the Av's some credit because they got much better with Roy and a few additions. I also would rate their chances higher thant he Canucks for those reasons. If the Canucks history wasn't so..well...very bad, I'd give them more credit. But I didn't make their history, they did.

If the Avs are suddely elite they're elite, what's so hard to fathom? Boston suddenly won the cup a few years ago , didn't they? Before that they were a team of chokers...well until they met the Canucks in the finals. do I think the Av's will win the cup this year, probably not, but I'm more inclined to say the Av's are more dangerous than the Canucks in the post. The Canucks are sometimes good for one upset, but usually as their history shows, they don't win when when it counts.

Avatar
#57 S and M
October 26 2013, 03:38PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
1
props

@5minutesinhebox

And no, luck doesn't play a part in winning the cup. You make your own luck. You are obsessed with luck. What is luck? You see luck as the goal that went in for a team, but do you stop to think that " luck " happens all over the ice all the time? Do you stop to think that luck can come in any form? How do you know that the other team that lost didn't have more puck luck? luck is not just the puck crossing the goal line. Your idea of luck in pro sports as a big reason why the cup is won is false and it cheapens their accomplishments. There is no such thing as a lucky punch that wins the boxing match. If you get KO'ed by a lucky punch, it's because you were not skilled enough or trained enough to avoid the punch.

Do you think the oilers and islanders dynasties for example were luck? The best team for whatever season always wins the cup. If Vancouver was worried about Boston blowing them out in the 7th game, then they should have won the games in Boston to begin with.

Pros hold skill as value. You also cannot make it to the pros on luck either. Don't get fixated on luck. Or you will have an impression that luck is what it takes to win. And if that is so , how can you train for luck? Have the Canucks been unlucky for over forty six years? Unworthy is a better answer.

Avatar
#58 S and M
October 26 2013, 03:41PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
2
props

@pheenster

Keep drinking the cool aid, ladies. The cup will come because your love cool aid, guaranteed.

Avatar
#59 Surrey Bob
October 26 2013, 03:48PM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
1
props

@Nolan

COMMENT REMOVED

Avatar
#60 Senrik Hedin
October 26 2013, 03:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props

The dichotomy of opinions here appears to be a reflection of different perspectives in life rather than any observation of a hockey team haha

Avatar
#61 Hard Puck City
October 26 2013, 03:54PM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
2
props

@pheenster

Because the Av's have won TWO Cups in their short history in Colorado and your Canucks have won.....NONE? Give it up man, those Canuck pom poms and that skirt makes you look like an ugly Bon Jovi groupie.LOL

Avatar
#62 Josh
October 26 2013, 04:36PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
7
props

@Hard Puck City

The Avalanche won the cup 12 and 17 years ago.... Outside of having Roy and Sakic as coach and GM, and the uniforms, I'm going to say there's basically nothing connecting these Avs to those Avs.

Avatar
#63 GeezMoney
October 26 2013, 04:37PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props
Surrey Bob wrote:

COMMENT REMOVED

Record broken, but he keeps playing that song. That song, that song THAT SONG!!!

(Must be an Oilers fan, if he likes broken records!)

Avatar
#64 GeezMoney
October 26 2013, 05:01PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
4
props

@S and M

Well, the Avs are playing really well. But so are the Blues, so your point, like spoiled milk, lacks consistency.

Then again you're here to trololol, so there is that as well.

Avatar
#65 Nolan
October 26 2013, 05:11PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props

@GeezMoney

He also has very intelligent and witty responses. Ha!

What I find amusing is that for someone who hates the canucks and all of their fans so much, this TPT spends an awful amount of time watching the games and reading and replying to our comments. Must be pretty lonely over there in his trailer. Wait... holy crap, they have Internet in the trailer parks now too?

Avatar
#66 GeezMoney
October 26 2013, 05:25PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

@Nolan

They got it right after hairspray (admittedly it was too big of a leap, but at least they've found a way here. They're only simple people!)

Avatar
#67 Ted
October 26 2013, 05:31PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
1
props
5mintuesinthebox wrote:

How is it luck? The Canucks controlled play for 2 periods, and then the Blues were given a 2 man advantage on 2 calls that shouldnt even have been called. So if anyone was lucky it was the Blues. Without that 2 man advantage the Canucks win this game regulation by 2.

They did what they had to do to win. Weathering the storm through a 3rd period where they looked totally gassed, and then taking over play in overtime.

All of this on the tail end of a brutal road trip, missing what would constitute a 2nd line, with a 4th line of AHLers, and their back up goalie.

You can be as pessimistic as you wanna be. Disappoint will do that to a guy. Im just going to sit back and enjoy this one.

It be flattering if he was just a pessimist. NoMind00 is a negative bitch and I don't think life has been too kind to him. I just hope he goes off and becomes a 'fan' of some other team. He claims to be a Canucks fan - the Canuck haters are more positive than turd00.

Avatar
#68 5mintuesinthebox
October 26 2013, 06:11PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props

@S and M

So the Avs history of being a bottom rung team over the last 5 years isnt part of history. And I would be a seasoned playoff team over the Avs anyday, including the Canucks.

We are 10 games in and the AVs are elite? Thats your reasoning? Are you sure you understand the meaning of the word 'fathom'? How can you be inclined to say the Avs would be better in the post when they havent even made it there. You are clueless if thats your reasoning.

If anyone is reading into the regular season to much its you, bud.

Avatar
#69 NM00
October 26 2013, 06:18PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
3
props
Ted wrote:

It be flattering if he was just a pessimist. NoMind00 is a negative bitch and I don't think life has been too kind to him. I just hope he goes off and becomes a 'fan' of some other team. He claims to be a Canucks fan - the Canuck haters are more positive than turd00.

While I find your rage amusing...

"Comments are moderated. Pretend your mom is reading over your shoulder."

Avatar
#70 5mintuesinthebox
October 26 2013, 06:24PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props

@S and M

Well you are simply wrong if you think luck does not play a part in winning a cup. Completely and utterly. You think you understand what Im talking about but you clearly are missing the point. Ask any NHL coach or player and they will tell you there is luck involved in winning a cup. I have heard it thousand times. Key players get injured, team doesnt gel, a team rides an all of the sudden how goalie to wins over a superior team, bad penaity calls costing a team games, In playoffs anything can and does happen, and not all of it is related to how skilled the two teams facing considered before it started.

Luck isnt the be all end all, and I never implied it was. Of course it takes skill to win the Cup, thanks for pointing that out Capt Obvious. But there is luck involved whether you think so or not

"Your idea of luck in pro sports as a big reason why the cup is won is false and it cheapens their accomplishments. "

What the hell does this even mean?

Avatar
#71 JCDavies
October 26 2013, 07:56PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@Ted

"@ Cancer00"

Cancer, bud? Really? Crossing a line a little bit there, aren't ya?

Avatar
#72 JCDavies
October 26 2013, 07:58PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

@NM00

Pretty obvious that there is no moderation going on at this site.

Avatar
#73 Lemming
October 26 2013, 08:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@JCDavies

I feel like making a test post with all sorts of irrelevant and extremely offensive stuff, but I'd rather not have my IP banned or something.

I'm curious about when St Louis plays in Vancouver if Roy will get booed or not. He was so underwhelming here he might here one or two. I doubt I'd boo him, but I couldn't help but quell a little rage every time I heard his name last year. He just looked like he checked out so early...

Avatar
#74 Surrey Bob
October 26 2013, 08:56PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
1
props

@5mintuesinthebox

What 5minutesinhisbutt is trying to say or imply is that every single Stanley Cup winner won on luck...and the Canucks have been just "unlucky" for the past 45 years.

what does he mean? He means you're talking out of your ass again, kid. You and your luck this, luck that. Face the facts, wake up and smell the turd, the Canucks have accomplished NOTHING. The Canucks don't even have enough skill or luck to win the cup. Heck, they're even too cheap to buy their way to the cup. Too dumb to see, too stupid to learn.

Don't waste your time with lucky the kid, S and M, he lives in his own rosy little Canuck world. LMFAO

Avatar
#75 Nanodummy
October 26 2013, 09:02PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
5
props

To those who think the Avs are a truly elite team, who'd like to bet $100 dollars they finish ahead of the Canucks this year?

Avatar
#76 Surrey Bob
October 26 2013, 09:10PM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
2
props

@NM00

Good old " No Standards Teddy". With people like him in the world, there are no winners and no losers. A world were everyone holds each others hands and talks about their feelings and how good the Canucks are, like a bunch of women.

It's not bad enough 'no standards teddy' is a cool-aid addict, but what's worse, he wants everyone to have no self pride and no standards just like him. No Standards Teddy loves losing and wants everyone to enjoy it as much as he does. He probably gets turned on when he watches the Sedin punching Marchand's glove with is face.

Avatar
#77 Surrey Bob
October 26 2013, 09:12PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
1
props

@Nanodummy

How would you like to bet everything you have that the Canucks won't win the cup this year?

Avatar
#78 Hard Puck City
October 27 2013, 05:07AM
Trash it!
5
trashes
Props
1
props

@Nanodummy

Mr. Roy came to the Av's this time as a coach and changed the culture of the team. As a player, Roy could not stand losing, he wants his players that way as well.

The Canucks, on the other hand and their fanboys don't mind losing, make excuses for losing, compare themselves to crappier teams whenever they lose, blame someone else when they lose or simply ignore the fact that they lost because they won;t do what it takes to win. The Canucks simply don't care if they lose, they CAN stand it, their fans tolerate it, they brush it aside, accept it and are proud of it. The Canucks are a 'brand', a mascot..anything but a real competitive team that hates losing.

Avatar
#79 Ruprecht
October 27 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
3
props
Hard Puck City wrote:

Mr. Roy came to the Av's this time as a coach and changed the culture of the team. As a player, Roy could not stand losing, he wants his players that way as well.

The Canucks, on the other hand and their fanboys don't mind losing, make excuses for losing, compare themselves to crappier teams whenever they lose, blame someone else when they lose or simply ignore the fact that they lost because they won;t do what it takes to win. The Canucks simply don't care if they lose, they CAN stand it, their fans tolerate it, they brush it aside, accept it and are proud of it. The Canucks are a 'brand', a mascot..anything but a real competitive team that hates losing.

The best part about being a Canuck fan is they are nothing like that team you cheer for. You know, the team that's so pathetic that they drove you here for kicks, because they can't provide you the entertainment and excitement that cheering against the Canucks provides. The team that makes you waste your time here daily, the team that disappointed you sooooo much that you had to go underground acting like a 12 year old under the guise of Hard Puck City.....Just so everybody is clear here and you have the opportunity to show you have a spine, WHAT IS THE NAME OF THAT TEAM AGAIN?

Avatar
#80 pheenster
October 27 2013, 06:39PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props
Hard Puck City wrote:

Because the Av's have won TWO Cups in their short history in Colorado and your Canucks have won.....NONE? Give it up man, those Canuck pom poms and that skirt makes you look like an ugly Bon Jovi groupie.LOL

I'll say hi the next time I see you at the Tim Horton's drive thru. Do me a favour though, make it a bit snappier, OK? I'm a busy guy. Congrats on the Employee of the Month, by the way; your parents must have been proud.

Avatar
#81 Hard Puck City
October 27 2013, 07:52PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@pheenster

LOL. I don't go Timmy Ho's lady. Too many snooty fat delusional retards there that enjoy paying 10 dollars for a cup of coffee...folks kinda like you. though, if I did work there and you pulled up, I'd open the lid to the molten hot drink you would order and serve it to your face and watch you cry the same way you cry after watching your Canucks choke.

Denial and delusion go hand and hand, don't they, lady?

Avatar
#82 Hard Puck City
October 27 2013, 07:55PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

@Ruprecht

The team I cheer for has won at least one cup. And you cheer for a team that will never win one. Competitive team? You're not talking about the Canucks, are you? Cause what they do can't be considered competitive, it is called " wasting people's time".

Avatar
#83 S and M
October 27 2013, 08:08PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props

@JCDavies

Moderation? why, has someone been stalking you or cyber bullying you?

Or is it because you don't like someone elses opinion and you want to put a stop to it? Is it because other people have views that may be drastically opposite to your own view and you don't like that? Or is it because someone else has a view that you don't agree with, like in some way, shape or form and you feel that because it's not your view, then it should be censored?

Avatar
#84 Nanodummy
October 27 2013, 09:46PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

So all whiners and no takers?

Got it.

Avatar
#85 Surrey Bob
October 27 2013, 11:48PM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props

@Nanodummy

I bet you everything you have the Canucks won't win the cup this year.

Say goodbye to everything you have. You will never be a Canucks fan again after this season.

I'll remind you next year.

Avatar
#86 Hard Puck City
October 28 2013, 12:20AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@pheenster

Hey by the way, Spleenster, the Av's are now 10-1 with Roy. I guess having a winner and a guy who hates losing makes no difference at all. Let get AV back and give he and Gillis a lifetime contract, just to teach you a lesson...because you so richly deserve the LOSING CULTURE you enjoy and promote.

Avatar
#87 5mintuesinthebox
October 28 2013, 01:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Surrey Bob wrote:

I bet you everything you have the Canucks won't win the cup this year.

Say goodbye to everything you have. You will never be a Canucks fan again after this season.

I'll remind you next year.

instead of telling us who wont wont in the Cup, why dont you tell us who will smart guy. I mean since you have it all figured out.

The highest rated team in the league only has about a 13% chance of winning the cup at best. So whose bandwagon are you jumping on this year?

Avatar
#88 5minutesinhebox
October 28 2013, 01:23AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
Surrey Bob wrote:

What 5minutesinhisbutt is trying to say or imply is that every single Stanley Cup winner won on luck...and the Canucks have been just "unlucky" for the past 45 years.

what does he mean? He means you're talking out of your ass again, kid. You and your luck this, luck that. Face the facts, wake up and smell the turd, the Canucks have accomplished NOTHING. The Canucks don't even have enough skill or luck to win the cup. Heck, they're even too cheap to buy their way to the cup. Too dumb to see, too stupid to learn.

Don't waste your time with lucky the kid, S and M, he lives in his own rosy little Canuck world. LMFAO

Thats funny because I actually stated just the opposite in my post, but once again your comprehension skills are failing you. Hell I never even said anything about the Canucks being 'unlucky'. They simply werent good enough to beat Boston.

I love how you continually talk out that hole is your face that looks like an ass and you expect someone on here to actually care about your so called opinion. So far we have learned that you dont know the difference between junior and minor hockey, you dont know who was actually traded, and you have no clue what the Canucks spend on players on a yearly basis.

You are clueless, and I will continue to run you off this board by making you look like an idiot. not that you need the help.

Avatar
#89 Surrey Bob
October 28 2013, 02:09AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
1
props

@5minutesinhebox

Hahahahahahaha...very fuunny "lucky Lucy ". Y=I love how you keep making EXCUSES for the club. EXUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES.

Talk is cheap pal. Save it for when they win a cup. Can't? It's cause you're s shill. I seriously don't know how Gary Valk keeps himself from punching your face on that crappy show of yours.

Avatar
#90 Surrey Bob
October 28 2013, 02:12AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

@5mintuesinthebox

Every team has a 1% chance at the cup this year. Your Canucks have 0% chance at the cup this year.

And yes, I see you're making excuses again. Read what I wrote. Canucks-ZERO chance. ZERO %. that's all you need to know Don, and I will be right again at the end of the season. I'll be sure to remind you, as you have a selective Canuck memory.

Avatar
#91 Surrey Bob
October 28 2013, 02:56AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

@5minutesinhebox

You claim to know sooo much, 45yearsinthbox, and YEt you still don't know why your team sucks. You STILL don't know why people don't see your team as anything more than MEDIOCRE. Yet you still keep yapping your mouth, all the while your team keeps on SUCKING. Nes flash buddy boy, your TEAM has sucked for 45 years. $% YEARS. Go on, start the excuses again. Tell me how the cup isn't everything in the NHL. Tell me how your SUCKY team is better than the suckier teams in the league. Tell me how LUCK plays a major part in winning. Tell me all those LOVELY EXCUSES you love to use again and again.

Run me off the boards here? LOL. Every year your team doesn't win the cup is a clear validation of my opinion. and any excuse you make about not winning the cup is another validation of what a LOSER mentality you have. Even if I wasn't here, know that by the end of this year, you team will still have no Stanley Cup. Don't cry because other people can see fats, even if you can;t or won;t , shill-boy.

Avatar
#92 Surrey Bob
October 28 2013, 03:47AM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props

@5minutesinhebox

Hey yo, and before you reply, I did you a favor and made a list of your typical EXCUSES for Canucks Failure. See how nice I am? You will no doubt say-

1- The canucks aren't bad...compared to really bad teams like Buffalo and the Jets.

2- Luck plays a major role in any championship...and the Canucks have just been unlucky for 45 years.

3- The Canucks came within one game of winning the cup, even if they didn't score ONE goal in the 7th game.

4- It doesn't matter that the team has been a loser for 45 years, it's different management, so what counts is the current year, so that means that failure is always relegated to one years time.

5- We can't draft well because it's too HARD. And teams who have won a cup or two with real stars have been sucky for a period of time...so it's better for the Canucks to be mediocre forever than to try and do something in the draft. Besides, it's too hard.

6- We need to keep the core even if they haven't done anything for 13 years, because if someone hasn't done anything in 13 years, they will most likely do it on the 14th year.

7- You must be an Oilers fan if you say the Canucks are mediocre.

8- All we need is a center, this and that ans this and that. That's all we need.

9- Coaches don't matter, if monkeys coached every team in the NHL, their would still be a cup winner every year, even if the Canucks will never be that team.

10- Coaches don't matter, so let's keep AV, cause he's the BEST coach we ever had here in suckville.

11- The coaches can't play, it's up to the players. So if the players fail, than trade everyone who's gotten the least amount of ice time while keeping the useless ice time hogging core.

12- It's never the goalies fault or the teams fault. It's the Boston Bruins fault.

13- It's Shanahans fault this team is useless.

14- It's the refs fault this team is useless.

15- It's Bettmans fault this team is useless.

16- Forget about hiring winners, we'll take our chances with unproven hacks, especially in the GM position.

17- You can make an opinion about the Canucks so long as you doesn't call the team what it is...MEDIOCRE and a 45 year FAILURE.

18- The Canucks played well enough to win, even though they didn't. So we are all winners cause we are all Canucks.

19- There's always next year, cause real fans keep coming back for more pain and misery, like some sick sadist.

20- The Canucks don't deserved to be bagged on because they been 45 year failures. They deserve praise and celebration.

21- The Canucks don't lose, the just can't win when it counts.

22- The Canucks have good draft picks and potential stars...all YEARS away from playing in the pros. Refresh for the next 45 years.

23- True fans support the team even if the team is below average, cause the organization will build a winner for its fans because it cares...just not in the last 45 years.

24- I'd rather the team not win the cup if it means the team won't have the two nicest guys in the world, the Sedins.

25- The Sedins are not invisible in the play offs, it's that the other teams check the too much and too hard.

26- If the Sedins or Kesler scores, all credit to them. If they don't score, then it's the other players fault. We need more support.

27- A true fan knows how much they spend a year on players , on food, on foot care etc, everything is important except the fact that the team can't win when it counts and hasn't won a thing in 45 YEARS.

28- The Canucks have never won the cup, so it's best to imply that " LUCK" has a huge part in winning it, that way, it diminishes the victory for real winners and lessens the failures of the Canucks.

29- Going on a lucky run to the finals is good enough for me, who needs to win the cup?

30- Anyone who faults the Canucks for their failures is a poopy-head. We can still win with mediocrity, you'll see.

Avatar
#93 PB
October 28 2013, 08:46AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@Surrey Bob

I couldn't resist -- so according to your math 30 teams ("every team" I think you said) have a 1% chance at winning the cup except the Canucks (clearly NOT part of "every team") who have zero% chance. So there's a 29% chance that an NHL team will win the Stanley Cup this year (and obviously not the Canucks as you've pointed out)? I am absolutely fascinated by this, which non-NHL teams have a 71% chance of winning the Cup this year? This is the kind of riveting information that I am really glad to see you're providing.

Avatar
#94 JCDavies
October 28 2013, 09:26AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@S and M

One of the reasons I come here is for the intelligent opinions that differ from my own. Not sure why I would want them silenced.

Avatar
#95 Ruprecht
October 28 2013, 12:22PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
6
props
Hard Puck City wrote:

The team I cheer for has won at least one cup. And you cheer for a team that will never win one. Competitive team? You're not talking about the Canucks, are you? Cause what they do can't be considered competitive, it is called " wasting people's time".

Just as I figured...again. No answer, nothing of substance just hiding behind insults and name calling, pure cowardice. Let me know when you are at least brave enough to admit to all of the people you take pleasure in annoying here who you cheer for. Until then, I know you, I've met you many times and it's always an exercise in tolerance.

That's about the last you hear from me kid, unless you want to come over to the Island and have a beer and watch a game and jaw a little at a real person.(OPEN INVITE FOR YOU ONLY) Or you surprise everybody and come up with something intelligent to discuss. Maturity comes a little later for some. But, good luck to that team you cheer for...that nameless team that has won a cup at least once, the one so proud of cheering for you always forget the name and find yourself back here. LOL, LOL, LOL.

Avatar
#96 Nolan
October 28 2013, 01:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
5
props

@Ruprecht

Well said, sir.

Hard puck is probably a leafs fan. Won the cup at least once... but not since 67'. Now that's a successful team!!! Haha

Avatar
#97 Neil B
October 28 2013, 02:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
S and M wrote:

And no, luck doesn't play a part in winning the cup. You make your own luck. You are obsessed with luck. What is luck? You see luck as the goal that went in for a team, but do you stop to think that " luck " happens all over the ice all the time? Do you stop to think that luck can come in any form? How do you know that the other team that lost didn't have more puck luck? luck is not just the puck crossing the goal line. Your idea of luck in pro sports as a big reason why the cup is won is false and it cheapens their accomplishments. There is no such thing as a lucky punch that wins the boxing match. If you get KO'ed by a lucky punch, it's because you were not skilled enough or trained enough to avoid the punch.

Do you think the oilers and islanders dynasties for example were luck? The best team for whatever season always wins the cup. If Vancouver was worried about Boston blowing them out in the 7th game, then they should have won the games in Boston to begin with.

Pros hold skill as value. You also cannot make it to the pros on luck either. Don't get fixated on luck. Or you will have an impression that luck is what it takes to win. And if that is so , how can you train for luck? Have the Canucks been unlucky for over forty six years? Unworthy is a better answer.

Strictly speaking, the Oilers dynasty wasn't a true dynasty. As dominant as they were, they never won more than 2 Cups in a row.

Of course they would have probably won 4 in a row, but in 1986 Steve Smith tried to make a hard rinkwide pass from beside his own net. The puck hit Grant Fuhr's leg and bounced in for the deciding goal of the series.

But you're right; dumb luck never plays a role in hockey.

As for the Bruins/Canucks final, should Seidenberg or Chara be injured in Game 3, and Hamhuis play the entire series healthy, I suspect that the end result would differ from the reality.

Avatar
#98 5minutesinthebox
October 28 2013, 03:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Surrey Bob wrote:

Every team has a 1% chance at the cup this year. Your Canucks have 0% chance at the cup this year.

And yes, I see you're making excuses again. Read what I wrote. Canucks-ZERO chance. ZERO %. that's all you need to know Don, and I will be right again at the end of the season. I'll be sure to remind you, as you have a selective Canuck memory.

Boy, do you suck at math...

Avatar
#99 Surrey Bob
October 28 2013, 04:41PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props

@5minutesinthebox

Oh, you got a new excuse, let me put it on the list for you, kiddo.

Excuse # 31- Talk about things other than the Canucks having NEVER won a cup so as to deflect attention away from that fact.

Avatar
#100 Surrey Bob
October 28 2013, 04:45PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
0
props

@PB

So...with all your TALK...where's your cup then? Mathematical chances...LOL. Yeah, and you have aChance to make the NHL next year too. LOL. Thanks for number 32 32- use math to falsely hype up and make EXCUSES for the Canucks.

Comments are closed for this article.