McKenzie: Kassian to get a Look Playing with the Twins?

Thomas Drance
January 08 2013 08:47AM

It's not too often that TSN's Bob McKenzie, who is pretty much the godfather of reliable professional hockey reporting, pens a full post focussed on the Canucks. But on Monday night he covered some of the team's "big questions" headed into training camp, and dropped a handful of curious nuggets that I simply haven't seen suggested previously by Vancouver sports media.

One of the most fascinating bits of info? A suggestion that second-line power-forward Zack Kassian could get a look on the first line, moonlighting as the trigger-man for the Sedin twins.

Read past the jump.

Let's just quickly break down some of McKenzie's take and pull out what's "new" (to us at least) from his column.

Who'll play on the right side with Daniel and Henrik Sedin? Alex Burrows is never a bad answer but Zack Kassian may get a chance there.

Wow. What an opportunity that would be.

Over the course of their illustrious careers the Sedin twins have made pumping up the counting stats of otherwise average or slightly above players who are lucky enough to share the ice with them something of a habit. The Sedins style of play - their calling-card no-look backhand passes and uncanny ability to feather the puck through traffic - has generally resulted in a lot of gimme tap-ins for their line-mates. Vancouver's first-line is also deployed with an extreme offensive orientation that is basically  unparalleled anywhere else in the National Hockey League, the point being that filling in as the first-line with the Sedin twins is great work if you can get it.

In my minds-eye, I can see why Kassian could work well with the twins. He's an under-rated playmaker, he's strong along the boards and in the slot, and he's very good at controlling the puck down low in the offensive zone. Also after years of seeing opposing team's take runs at the twins, I have to admit that my reptile brain is fond of the idea of having the Sedins play with a relatively skilled "bodyguard" like Kassian. So Kassian has a few things working in his favour on this front; namely that he's got a whole host of compatible skills, and he'll be in mid-season form this month while his veteran competitors are just warming up. I'd imagine that if Zack Kassian can actually win that spot out of training camp and keep it through 48 games, he could pot 15 goals or so in a shortened season. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure everything I just wrote was once said about Steve Bernier.

Realistically, the notion of Zack Kassian contributing as a first-line fixture consistently next season me as a reach. I was expecting to see him slot into a role more similar to Raffi Torres' old one on the third-line this upcoming season. But I suppose the opportunity could be there for Kassian to play big minutes with the twins, at least to start the season, especially if McKenzie is right when he suggests later on in the training camp preview that Alex Burrows could get a look out of position as the team's second line centre.

Actually, when I was thinking about the team's roster last night, I'd thought that maybe Kassian's best opportunity might not be at even-strength this season, but could come on the power-play. Depending on who you ask, Ryan Kesler's recovery could be drawn out this season, and in his absence there are going to some quality power-play minutes on that first unit up for grabs in Vancouver. I'd have to think that Burrows, Booth, Kassian, Higgins and Hansen could all get a look in that spot.

Let's finish off with a couple of amusing notes. In his take, Bob McKenzie also touched on the Canucks' defensive depth. He said that behind the obvious top-7, the team "will likely try to add a veteran presence to make it a solid eight though Kevin Connauton and Derek Joslin might do." Thirty minutes after the story was filed at TSN.ca, we heard from Dan Murphy that the Canucks may invite defenseman Cam Barker to training camp. Based on the way blue-line injuries sink the Canucks year, after year; I really hope Barker isn't the "veteran presence" McKenzie was talking about...

Finally, McKenzie ends his take on all the uncertainty the Canucks face heading into training camp, with an odd choice to words that I can't help but point out.

That seems an awful lot of questions for what's supposed to be Canada's best hope for a Cup contender, but the Canucks know their time is now, that their biological clock is ticking and while their window to win isn't necessarily closing after this season, it's not opening any wider either.

You've really got to give it to Bob McKenzie. In the past, when other analysts have more intentionally feminized the Canucks <cough> Mike Milbury <cough> (excuse me) it wasn't nearly so funny.

Go read Bob McKenzie's take in full here.

3136ae487fac57943f99a50e66e4d6cf
Thomas Drance lives in Toronto, eats spicy food and writes about hockey. He is an NHL News Editor at theScore, the ex-managing editor of CanucksArmy.com and an opinionated blowhard to boot. You can follow him on twitter @thomasdrance.
#1 Kaybee
January 08 2013, 10:38AM

Talk about "designing success for young players." I would love to see a line of the three succeed. So much space!

I always felt the Canucks accomplished most when Kesler was with Burrows, anyways. #dragonslaying

#2 Unknown Comic
January 08 2013, 10:57AM

Kassian with the Sedins would go against Gillis' statement that the club feels it does not have time to experiment this season.

Kesler played at 75% up to February last season and at 50% after February, yet the team was able to easily rack up points (mostly thanks to goaltending). Would Schroeder, Higgins, Lapierre, etc at centre not equal Kesler at 50% ? If they do, it's the same team as last February. That leaves time to get a 90% Kesler into the lineup for April.

I don't see why the 2nd line centre is being promoted as such a problem and why the 1st line would need to be broken up to deal with it.

Also, why would Vigneault employ Kassian on his third line if he still plans to use it as a checking line. Checking is definitely not Kassian's forte right now.

#4 Unknown Comic
January 08 2013, 12:07PM
Thomas Drance wrote:

@UnknownComic that's why I said a role "similar to" Torres' (without it being Torres' role explicitly). Say the Canucks acquire Bozak, how about a third line (deployed in a more offensive role, while the 2nd line handles tougher minutes) with Raymond, Bozak, Kassian? I'm just spitballing here, but 12-14 minutes per game on a secondary scoring line is where I see Kassian settling in with the Canucks this season.

Ya, I guess it all depends on how AV deploys his lines. The third line you suggest could be sheltered for a month or two until the return of Kesler. Where would Kassian then fit in when Kesler returns?

Or does Kesler take on tougher minutes and Bozak continues to be sheltered into the playoffs.

All interesting questions.

I would think it boils down to how effective Malhotra can be this season. Was last season a product of the eye or the inability to train over the summer. AV and Gillis know the answer and I assume it'll come out when the season starts.

#5 KleptoKlown
January 08 2013, 02:09PM

I think Kassian will be given a shot with the the twins. There won't be much room for error, as it has been well established that Burrows fits perfectly with the Sedins.

I agree with Kaybee about Kesler and Burrows. Those 2, along with Higgins could provide an excellent shut down line playing against other teams top lines. Just need to make sure someone can replace Burrows with the twins.

#6 Fred-65
January 08 2013, 02:48PM

I can't imagine the Sedins would enjoy having Kassian with them when they could have a proven scorer such as Burrows.

Kassian has not shown he's up for the job in fact he's as yet shown he is willing to play an intimadating game period.

IMO this guy needs a little shock treatment, maybe sending him back down to Chicago. He hasn't grasped the fact that he has to play hard every shift, and EARN his ice time and his opportunity

I wonder when the SEL wraps up it's season ?? AIK is one of the bottom feeders so doubt they'll go to the play-offs. I'm thinking it's relatively early when compered to the NHL. So will we see Jensen join the Canucks ??

#7 Unknown Comic
January 08 2013, 02:59PM
KleptoKlown wrote:

But Vancouver was at it's very best in 2011 when Malhotra was shutting down and Kesler was left to score against the other team's bottom 6.

#8 Daniel Wagner
January 08 2013, 06:14PM

"On the other hand, I'm pretty sure everything I just wrote was once said about Steve Bernier."

I was about to say that no one ever called Bernier an underrated playmaker, but then I found a bunch of message board posts that said exactly that.