KHL Highlights: Kovalchuk Staying?

Steve Dangle
January 08 2013 10:53PM

Speculation is flying that Kovalchuk might stay in the KHL, Ryan O'Reilly is still playing until he signs a new deal with the Avalanche, and KHL President Medvedev is pretty much threatening war against the NHL.

Ignore the KHL now? The fun might just be getting started. Enjoy!

Kovalchuk looks good but Ak Bars looks better.

Ryan O'Reilly continues to produce amongst uncertain.

Lightning prospect Andrei Vasilevsky gets a shutout in his first career KHL shutout.

Lokomotiv earns a win over Minsk. Lokomotiv lost some NHL talent, but remains a strong team.

Vityaz wins win Andrei Markov still in the lineup.

From January 7, Avangard beats Amur.

Gong show, basically.

And the Daily KHL Update from Jan 7, 2013.

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 Wanyes bastard child
January 08 2013, 11:45PM

Sorry Steve, your cool and all (even for a leafs fan) but i'm going to have to break up with you. I have found someone else and their name is the NHL. It wasn't you, it's me. I hope you can understand this and that there will be no hard feelings between us.

Cheers WBC.

Also... FIST!!!

#2 KetchupKid
January 09 2013, 01:54PM

All joking aside Steve, your KHL coverage has been great. Thanks!

#3 pelhem grenville
January 09 2013, 06:21AM

...is that the first 'blog-breakup' at OilersNation?

#4 backburner
January 09 2013, 09:16AM

Ridiculous... like he's Gretzky or something...

#5 WinterNightSky
January 09 2013, 06:49PM

I hope we keep the KHL highlights here. I've started looking forward to them, and feeling a touch of withdrawal during the parts of the week when they're not.

And my second reaction to the lockout ending, immediately after "Do I care?", was "How will this affect the K? I mean, Magnitogorsk just lost Malkin, Kulemin, and Gonchar. But the likes of Traktor and Lokomotive could stay strong." I want to stick around and find out.

#6 Chet134
January 09 2013, 07:11PM

Kovolchuck and datsyuk are staying for the allstar game in Russia then coming back. Do u think he would jeapordize his chances of not going to the Olympics by staying in Russia. Especially when the Olympics are in Russia.

#7 RKD
January 09 2013, 10:47PM

I'm pretty sure he will come back, the NHL doesn't always make the best decisions but they are the best league in the world bar none.

In Datsyuk's case, he got permission from the Detroit Red Wings organization to allow him to play in the KHL all star game.