Nation Radio - May 26, 2012

NationRadio
May 27 2012 12:02PM

Hands up anyone who picked an LAK/NJD Stanley Cup final heading into the season. Anyone? Bueller?

It's been an especially odd post-season, with favorites falling and previously apathetic fanbases awakening suddenly to their team's unexpected success. If the Kings win the cup, as they should, will that victory be met with a bang or a whimper in Los Angeles? To be fair to that city, it has been so long since their team enjoyed any notable success that they can be forgiven if they forgot about hockey for awhile.

Allan discussed this and a variety of other topics with Kent Wilson, David Staples, Kirk Luedeke and others on this week's show.

This is Nation Radio.

Segment 1

Our first guest was David Staples of the Cult of Hockey. David and LT go over Tom Renney's tenure in Edmonton, Anton Lander, the upcoming draft as well as some new area talk.

Segment 2

Next up is Nations overlord Kent Wilson. The Flames under Brent Sutter is the main focus and whether he would be a good fit for the Edmonton Oilers. The cup finals and whether Luongo would be a good fit in Toronto are also discussed.

Segment 3

Oil Kings PbP voice Corey Graham joined LT to wrap up Oil Kings impressive season and memorial cup performance.

Segment 4

Jim Byers of the OKC Barons stopped by and shard his thoughts on the Barons extended playoff run as well as the recent performances of MPS and Teemu Hartikainen.

Segment 5

Our final guest this week was Red Line Report's Krik Luedeke. He shares his insights on draft prospects in the New England area including Jimmy Vesey.

Segment 6

Lowetide goes it alone and wraps things up for the final segment.

Full

Whole show.

Finally, we'd like to remind prospective sponsors and advertisers that we still have some limited ad spots available here at Nation Radio. For more info, contact Kent Wilson @ kent.wilson@gmail.com.

3d50040a624eb33c8637c3306f09eddc
NationRadio can be heard live on Saturdays from 12-2 PM on the Team 1260 featuring the explicit sounds of DJ Lowetide and his lineup of Allstar guests.Follow us on Twitter: @itsnationradio
#1 Haywood Jablome
May 27 2012, 12:07PM

Brodeur working on a fist full of rings.

#2 SmellOfVictory
May 27 2012, 01:34PM

Very interesting having the final between a 6th seed and an 8th seed. I presume that doesn't happen very often.

#3 Shane
May 27 2012, 03:37PM

I went to a Kings game last year at Staples Center, L.A vs San Jose 2nd round game 3.

I was very surprised and impressed at the energy in the building. I got to talking with the gentleman sitting behind me wearing a Kurri jersey and he was telling me how, although small, a passionate fan base they had in Los Angeles.

#4 BURROWSHASCRABS
May 27 2012, 04:52PM

GO KINGS!! They deserve it. What a solid team

#5 The Keystone Garter
May 27 2012, 05:52PM

Easy to lose D assignments against twins. Coach taking credit for goal...

#6 Reality Check to the head
May 27 2012, 05:54PM

Go Kings Go, Derrick King is a native of Meadow Lake, Sask where my family lives. He is someone who I am cheering for as well as Stoll and Greene.

However, if Brodeur wins another cup and retires, I would be extremely happy for him.

#7 Brett G
May 27 2012, 06:35PM

On opening day I was at a wedding. A few of us were talking and I said that the Kings would be my pick this year. I have witnesses! The Devils? No way.

#8 The Keystone Garter
May 27 2012, 08:35PM

The Devils look to be entirely Bryce Salvador's doing. NYRs turned the puck over lots. If they played like that in 1st rd a healthy Jets team could've beaten them. We'd've lost to healthy Fla, NJ, or Washington prolly. LA in 4. But I thought we might catch NJ for a playoff spot too. East is hard. Pittsburgh, Fla, and Was will all be better next yr.

#9 The Keystone Garter
May 27 2012, 08:37PM

You figure LA might have some young assets they'd trade with us for a cheap contract or two. Moller and Bernier, a younger D.

#10 Copperblueandwhite
May 27 2012, 09:57PM

Pucks bounce and ice is slippery...at +155 I'll take Jersey in seven at home...watch out for the A-train!!

#11 bazmagoo
May 27 2012, 10:08PM

Devils in 7.

So, if Brodeur wins another cup does that make him better all time than Patrick Roy? Personally, I think it does.

#12 D
May 28 2012, 02:52AM

LT,

Lived in LA a few years and was surprised at the number of people living there who you'd never suspect were Kings fans who absolutely loved that team. LA will go insane if the Kings win the Stanley Cup.

#13 The Keystone Garter
May 28 2012, 07:05AM

Roy doesn't like Brodeur. When asked a few years ago who was maybe better than him, Roy mentioned Hasek.

I figure Brodeur was an elite goalie from 93-05. Roy from 85-01. Both kind of sucked internationally. Hasek and Sawchuk good too. I guess it depends how many normal years equal an elite year. If Brodeur goes a couple more seasons he should be better on longevity alone. I'm not impressed by a Cup as much as final four, for goalies. Min in 2003 and Phx this year got good goalies that didn't have a chance.