Frank Corrado cut from Canadian junior squad

Cam Charron
December 13 2012 04:23PM

This tweet from Sunaya Suparji of Yahoo! Canada was sent out just as Bob McKenzie was on a live-taping of Sportscentre discussing how Canucks prospect Frank Corrado was practically a sure bet to make the Canadian IIHF U-20 world championship team.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. McKenzie was just as shocked as everybody, but Corrado responded with class, and you'd expect from a media-trained Canadian hockey player:

He scored twice at the junior camp, once in the intrasquad scrimmage Tuesday night, and again Wednesday afternoon in the game against the University of Alberta. That said, Corrado plays a position that Canada happened to be quite deep at, even after injuries to Ryan Murray and Xavier Ouellet.

He had this to say to media (transcribed from TSN):

It was a tough decision, and they said it was one of the toughest ones they had to make, so you can always take that, but obviously I'm not on the team but I thought it was a good camp nonetheless.

I feel like I played well, I played my game, I stuck to my game plan, and there's not much else I can say. I worked as hard as I can and not the result they wanted.

I'm guessing a lot of kids were told that they were one of the toughest cuts to make. Time for Frankie to accept his fate as a Canuck prospect:

Frank Corrado was drafted in the 5th round of the 2011 Entry Draft. Never a big name, he has improved dramatically at the OHL level, with 24 points in 33 games so far this season and being a rock solid player in his own end, who has drawn rave reviews from OHL scouts and coaches throughout the season. Vancouver hasn't had a Canuck prospect on the team since Cody Hodgson in 2009.

Earlier:

63811cbf517d2d685ea09e103488ea3a
Cam Charron is a BC hockey fan that writes about hockey on many different websites including this one.
#1 Jesse
December 13 2012, 04:40PM

Show how much of a charade these camps are. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see MacKinnon also cut and Dumba make it onto the roster.

#2 Thomas Drance
December 13 2012, 04:53PM

Man I'm pretty surprised, I have to say.

#3 Jordan_Clarke
December 13 2012, 05:04PM

Canada's doomed without The Corrado Kid.

#4 Mantastic
December 13 2012, 05:18PM

why are people so shocked, a lot of people didn't think he had a chance at the beginning of camp and all of a sudden in 3 scrimmage games change your minds that much? small sample size much or you guys just giant homers?

#5 Patrick Johnston
December 13 2012, 06:30PM

Amazingly, I'm with Mantastic on this one. Corrado may have played well in the camp, but they knew as much about him before the camp as they did at the end. If you are picking based on three games...yikes.

As a coach, when assembling a squad before a big tournament, you start with the players you know are you going to be your best. The guys on the fringes, you have to be more delicate but as a general rule I look towards players who still have room to grow. Was there a sense that Corrado was going to get even better, and more than his competitors?

#7 Patrick Johnston
December 13 2012, 09:35PM

@Cam Charron

I was very impressed by Wotherspoon when he played against the Giants for Portland.

#8 Kent Wilson
December 14 2012, 10:43AM

@Cam Charron

Yeah. Flames fans are surprised Wotherspoon made it. The brass may have gone with "type/role" for that final roster spot - pure stay-at-home, defensive guy.