Flames Acquire Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond

Kent Wilson
July 14 2011 11:17AM

 

The Flames announced this morning that the club has acquired PL Letourneau-Leblond from the New Jersey Devils in exchange for a fifth round draft pick.

"Who the hell is that?" is your likely response. Unfortunately, he's a goon ladies and gentlemen. PL-LL played 64 games in the AHL last year and managed an amazing 338 PIM's. His career high in terms of points in junior was seven. He brings nothing to the table outside of the ability to drop the gloves. 

I've made my feelings clear on pure enforcers in the past - I think they are detriments at best in the NHL. I also don't understand the point of trading for goons since they are always readily available for nothing in the free agent pool, so this deal doesn't make sense even if the price is as nominal as a fifth round pick.

If this is another AHL-move, I'm mildly unimpressed by the addition. If Feaster intends to replace Ivanans on the Flames roster with Letourneau-Leblond, then my opionion of the deal is much lower. The big guy is on a one-way deal worth $525k, so it's possible he's on the parent roster to stay. That means he will effectively be neutering what was actually a strength for the Flames last year - a highly functional fourth line - for 30 or 40 games this year.

Not a fan. At least he beat up Cam Janssen I guess.

39d8109299a9795cb3b41a4e9b49d501
Former Nations Overlord. Current Fn contributor and curmudgeon For questions, complaints, criticisms, etc contact Kent @ kent.wilson@gmail. Follow him on Twitter here.
Avatar
#51 JK
July 14 2011, 01:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

PS. 50 posts and counting on a low grade trade, this must be the Dog Days of Summer. Keep up the great work FN and FN readers. I love the conversation, keeps me awake at work.

Avatar
#52 slowmo
July 14 2011, 02:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

As I keep trying to say feraster is not the person for this team he is going to destroy this team even more than the last few gms have with that stupid smile on his face I C another foolish move on it's way we have enough young talent lets give them a chance to prove them selves and leave the trading to a more intelligent GM in the future

Avatar
#53 Sincity1976
July 14 2011, 02:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I don't like it. But it isn't worth an over reaction either. He will play a couple of games against teams with a tough guy and give the fans something to chear over. It is about entertainment after all. And for whatever reason GMS like to have a tough guy on the team.

Avatar
#54 It's Hall Over!!!
July 14 2011, 02:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

So Feaster comes in and says he's gonna aquire more draft picks and reduce the amount of NTC/NMC given out in the future.

So he: - trades a 5th round pick in 2012 - trades a 2nd round pick in 2012 - gives Glencross a NMC - gives Tanguay a NMC - gives Babchuk a modified NMC

Good job Feaster. Well done.

Avatar
#55 Kevin R
July 14 2011, 02:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Wow! Sounds like Dec 21 2012! Geeesh! I was way more upset with the return on Regehr. This is a no big deal move, let it go & move on. Feaster simply cant get the proper $$$allocation/skill cap framework for this team until his cap starts fresh. I like fighting too so if this guy is a tough mean SOB, great. Our cup run had Oliwa & Simon & I loved it. Suprised at this deal because I dont think we need this type of player just yet but meh, it's a one year deal & Ivanans is done.

Avatar
#56 Palt11
July 14 2011, 02:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
JK wrote:

I think that the point of the comments so far has been:

1) We don't need an enforcer we have enough guys that can fend for themselves (and we already signed Disbens who can do the dancing monkey as well as score a few goals).

2) If we wanted another fighter we could have signed one off the Free Agent market and STILL HAD our 5th round pick.

3)While the 5th round pick is a low pick, you never know what gem can be found or where in any draft. Brodie was a 4th round pick and he's our best defenseman prospect by a long shot, Breen is behind Brodie and I believe Breen wasn't even drafted.

Therefore, I agree that there was really no reason to trade a possible asset for a marginal asset we already had or could have signed in Free Agency.

That's my take and summary. Fire away FN Army.

I agree.

Avatar
#57 Palt
July 14 2011, 03:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Kevin R wrote:

Wow! Sounds like Dec 21 2012! Geeesh! I was way more upset with the return on Regehr. This is a no big deal move, let it go & move on. Feaster simply cant get the proper $$$allocation/skill cap framework for this team until his cap starts fresh. I like fighting too so if this guy is a tough mean SOB, great. Our cup run had Oliwa & Simon & I loved it. Suprised at this deal because I dont think we need this type of player just yet but meh, it's a one year deal & Ivanans is done.

When the Flames went on their cup run, it was pre lockout. Guys like Oliwa and Simon could beat up the opposition. Both of them are no longer in the league.

It's a minor move, but I do think it's a mistake.

Avatar
#58 RexLibris
July 14 2011, 03:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Sorry, I forgot to use my tildes (`) of sarcasm before when I said Feaster is trying to get fired. And my point about giving away picks is this: while the statistics of a 5th rounder working out are low they aren't impossible, and you only have to get one right once every 7 or 8 years to make them valuable. An example of 5th round picks that have turned out pretty well since 2001: Kris Versteeg (134th), Mikhail Grabovski (150th), Darren Helm (132nd), Nathan Gerbe (142nd), James Wisniewski (156th), Kevin Bieksa (151st), Nigel Dawes (149th...okay, bad example). If you don't think the Flames have any chance at finding a decent prospect in the 5th round don't say the picks are worthless, question the quality of your scouting.

Avatar
#59 the-wolf
July 14 2011, 03:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

I can't stand this whole "dont' get worked up about it" stance. There's an artice put out regarding this move and so people comment. Be for or against or even don't care, but telling everyone who does care that they shouldn't is assinine. The entire purpose of the articel is to generate discussion.

The player we acquired is useless.

We should be stockpiling picks because when it comes to drafting quantity helps breed quality.

"How many times does a 5th rounder work out?" I don't know, ask all the teams who have serviceable players on their team drafted in the 5th round. If you don't keep the picks then you have no chance of turning them into anything.

Avatar
#60 rain dogs
July 14 2011, 03:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I know, I know... I'm one of the "negative" ones. But seriously

WHAT THE HELL?

This is even more stupid than 3 games of Modin for a 7th.

Now, we're giving away 5th rounders for an unnecessary enforcer?

FEAST-bag..... you suck!

Avatar
#61 JK
July 14 2011, 03:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
1
props

@the-wolf

THIS!!! EXACTLY THIS!!

Great job Wolf.

Avatar
#62 D C
July 14 2011, 04:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Since he's from NJ, Brent Sutter might have had a say in this. Maybe he's getting Jackman an apprentice.

That's the only logical answer that would make sense.

Avatar
#63 Kevin R
July 14 2011, 04:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

I can't stand this whole "dont' get worked up about it" stance. There's an artice put out regarding this move and so people comment. Be for or against or even don't care, but telling everyone who does care that they shouldn't is assinine. The entire purpose of the articel is to generate discussion.

The player we acquired is useless.

We should be stockpiling picks because when it comes to drafting quantity helps breed quality.

"How many times does a 5th rounder work out?" I don't know, ask all the teams who have serviceable players on their team drafted in the 5th round. If you don't keep the picks then you have no chance of turning them into anything.

What you say is reasonable. The stance of the world is caving & Feaster will destroy the team more than Sutter in his final years is over reaction. The biggest thing I agree with you is why are we stocking up on 4th line toughness when we dont have the talent to get to the playoffs. We also dont have the prospects to change that in the immediate future. So yes, 3 friggin trades & we are giving up draft picks when to me, based on the fact we are even debating a blow up or not, why are we trading any draft picks at all???? Thats what doesnt make sense. Just remember, Feaster may be purging players & making moves of assets that were brought into the Flames organization. Sometimes you would rather eat your own crappy cooking thnt eat somebody elses crappy cooking. Sorry, bad analogy.

Avatar
#64 RexLibris
July 14 2011, 04:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
D C wrote:

Since he's from NJ, Brent Sutter might have had a say in this. Maybe he's getting Jackman an apprentice.

That's the only logical answer that would make sense.

Looking for logic in this is probably a bad idea. That's like asking Brian Burke for a moment of silence.

Avatar
#65 everton fc
July 14 2011, 04:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

My final comment...

“Pierre-Luc is a hard-hitting, physical player who tends to get under the skin of the opposition,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. “The way he plays the game causes other players to be aware of his presence and he is willing to defend himself and stand-up for his teammates as well. We want to continue to add to our team toughness but do so with players who are capable of playing a regular shift and contributing within the team concept. In Pierre-Luc not only have we achieved our objectives but we have done so by bringing in a player who comes very highly recommended by our Head Coach who worked with him previously.”

Avatar
#66 the-wolf
July 14 2011, 04:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
everton fc wrote:

My final comment...

“Pierre-Luc is a hard-hitting, physical player who tends to get under the skin of the opposition,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. “The way he plays the game causes other players to be aware of his presence and he is willing to defend himself and stand-up for his teammates as well. We want to continue to add to our team toughness but do so with players who are capable of playing a regular shift and contributing within the team concept. In Pierre-Luc not only have we achieved our objectives but we have done so by bringing in a player who comes very highly recommended by our Head Coach who worked with him previously.”

Well, if he turns into Jackman - the sequel I'll be the first to apologize and admit I was wrong.

Avatar
#67 Sincity1976
July 14 2011, 05:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Sounds like NJ just went and signed Cam Janssen to a 2-way deal.

Avatar
#68 Palt
July 14 2011, 05:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
the-wolf wrote:

I can't stand this whole "dont' get worked up about it" stance. There's an artice put out regarding this move and so people comment. Be for or against or even don't care, but telling everyone who does care that they shouldn't is assinine. The entire purpose of the articel is to generate discussion.

The player we acquired is useless.

We should be stockpiling picks because when it comes to drafting quantity helps breed quality.

"How many times does a 5th rounder work out?" I don't know, ask all the teams who have serviceable players on their team drafted in the 5th round. If you don't keep the picks then you have no chance of turning them into anything.

Well said.

Avatar
#69 Victoria Flames Fan
July 14 2011, 06:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Is there any chance this is part of some other deal with the Devils (so to speak)?

Avatar
#70 Sincity1976
July 14 2011, 06:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Victoria Flames Fan

Eklund spun it that way. But I doubt it. NJ went out and signed another enforcer a few moments after to a similar contract.

Jay wanted an enforcer that could play. Brent was familiar with Leblond and thought he fit the build. NJ had given up on Leblond and wanted to clear him to get someone else.

Don't think its any more complicated thent hat.

Avatar
#71 Subversive
July 14 2011, 08:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

*le sigh*

Avatar
#72 KingJafi
July 14 2011, 09:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I'm just curious. How does the Feast and crew find these guys? They are random and don't put up significant numbers, it's just odd to me.

Avatar
#73 RKD
July 14 2011, 11:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

If Ivanans is 'done', how come he hasn't retired? Maybe we will hear something in the near future.

I was hoping a trade with NJ would have yielded Calgary one of Parise or Zajac. There a lot of rumblings NJ cannot keep both signed with the Kovalchuk deal.

Plus, there is the familiarity factor with Sutter. Even though familiarity didn't work with Richards and Feaster. It could work with Parise/Zajac with Sutter. Richards went where his coach went.

Avatar
#74 JF
July 15 2011, 09:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Hey Kent... random question, have you ever examined the underlaying stats of guys commonly thought of as Goons/Enforcers? I'm just curious which one is "least bad" in terms of actual hockey skill?

Considering that the Flames are going to be spending over a Million dollars this year on guys who seemingly offer no skillset beyond throwing punches (P3L & Ivanans) and are willing to throw away a draft pick to get one I've now given up hope that they'll ever abandon their baby blanket and go without. That being the case I'll now shift my hopes that if they must have a goon that they get one who is the least liability when he's on the ice.

Avatar
#75 LaToya W
July 15 2011, 09:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Steve Yzerman said it best: 'We don't need a goon.' I wish more GMs would follow this.

Avatar
#76 Graham
July 15 2011, 10:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

By no means do I love the deal, but:

Whether you agree with them or not, the Flames brass aren't complete retards. The fact that Feaster could have got an enforcer for free, leads me to believe they didn't just want any enforcer. If the team is giving up assets for this guy, they must see something in him; more than we do in our YouTube clips. I'm not saying he's the next Tim Jackman, but we had this response when Jackman was brought to CGY. He was a more effective player than we realized when he signed on July 1. The fact that a draft pick was given up leads me to believe that they didn't want any of the FA enforcers.. they actually wanted this guy. Of course NJ isn't going to be choked up over losing him... were we choked when we lost McGrattan or Godard? These are replaceable players, so if you're looking to the reactions in NJ to make up your mind on the trade, you're barking up the wrong tree. You think they're genuinely pumped about getting a 5th round pick? No, it's just easy to take that approach when you're the team giving up a player.

He's not even close to an offensive threat, but seems to have decent speed for an enforcer. I'm hoping he's more of an agitator that can drop-em, rather than a full-fledged goon. I think a fourth line of PL3-Bouma-Jackman would be decently competitive. As for the 5th round pick, methinks that won't be difficult to re-acquire within the next calendar year. I'm not prepared to lose my cool over this move.

Avatar
#77 Kevin R
July 15 2011, 12:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Graham wrote:

By no means do I love the deal, but:

Whether you agree with them or not, the Flames brass aren't complete retards. The fact that Feaster could have got an enforcer for free, leads me to believe they didn't just want any enforcer. If the team is giving up assets for this guy, they must see something in him; more than we do in our YouTube clips. I'm not saying he's the next Tim Jackman, but we had this response when Jackman was brought to CGY. He was a more effective player than we realized when he signed on July 1. The fact that a draft pick was given up leads me to believe that they didn't want any of the FA enforcers.. they actually wanted this guy. Of course NJ isn't going to be choked up over losing him... were we choked when we lost McGrattan or Godard? These are replaceable players, so if you're looking to the reactions in NJ to make up your mind on the trade, you're barking up the wrong tree. You think they're genuinely pumped about getting a 5th round pick? No, it's just easy to take that approach when you're the team giving up a player.

He's not even close to an offensive threat, but seems to have decent speed for an enforcer. I'm hoping he's more of an agitator that can drop-em, rather than a full-fledged goon. I think a fourth line of PL3-Bouma-Jackman would be decently competitive. As for the 5th round pick, methinks that won't be difficult to re-acquire within the next calendar year. I'm not prepared to lose my cool over this move.

Well said. And I would like to see a 4th line of Kostopolous, Bouma & PL3 then 3rd line GlenX Moss Jackman then 2nd Line Bourque Langkow Joker(sigh)

then 1st line Tangs, Backlund & Iggy

Take note of who I left out(Hagman & Stajan) & move those contracts. Maybe Hagman would be a great stop gap for Columbus to replace Huselius. Injuries will open opportunities for some of our young kids as well during the year. The above is a 6.5 mill cap hit we could sign a top forward. Why I was saying, Feaster is limited with trying to sort/balance $$$ spent to each line & balance our cap efficiently.

Avatar
#78 everton fc
July 15 2011, 01:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Graham wrote:

By no means do I love the deal, but:

Whether you agree with them or not, the Flames brass aren't complete retards. The fact that Feaster could have got an enforcer for free, leads me to believe they didn't just want any enforcer. If the team is giving up assets for this guy, they must see something in him; more than we do in our YouTube clips. I'm not saying he's the next Tim Jackman, but we had this response when Jackman was brought to CGY. He was a more effective player than we realized when he signed on July 1. The fact that a draft pick was given up leads me to believe that they didn't want any of the FA enforcers.. they actually wanted this guy. Of course NJ isn't going to be choked up over losing him... were we choked when we lost McGrattan or Godard? These are replaceable players, so if you're looking to the reactions in NJ to make up your mind on the trade, you're barking up the wrong tree. You think they're genuinely pumped about getting a 5th round pick? No, it's just easy to take that approach when you're the team giving up a player.

He's not even close to an offensive threat, but seems to have decent speed for an enforcer. I'm hoping he's more of an agitator that can drop-em, rather than a full-fledged goon. I think a fourth line of PL3-Bouma-Jackman would be decently competitive. As for the 5th round pick, methinks that won't be difficult to re-acquire within the next calendar year. I'm not prepared to lose my cool over this move.

Desbiens may be the next Jackman. I have a good vibe about Desbiens. And a fourth line of Kostopoulos/Desbiens/Jackman, if one of the three can be converted to centre, may be interesting to watch, and difficult for other teams to play against.

Being there is no evidence PL3 has any offencive tools whatosever, and strong evidence Desbiens does... I'll take the latter. Note, too, Jackman was often in double-digits goals and assists in both the NCAA and the AHL.

Comments are closed for this article.