The Ticking Klefbom

Lowetide
October 26 2011 06:17PM

Oscar Klefbom was drafted in June and then forgotten about, lost in the flood of teenagers at rookie and training camp vying for attention from the club and Oilersnation. The trouble with these SEL kids is that it's hard to track them and then even more difficult to evaluate them based on miles and miles of zero's in all the scoring columns. Well, how IS Oscar Klefbom doing?

On draft day he was interviewed on tsn and advised not to ask for #11 (Messier's number and the number on his uniform, reflecting draft year). Klefbom answered the questions well and seemed like a nice enough fellow. There's not much else we can glean from the 90 seconds with... that tsn gives the first round kids on draft weekend's Friday night.

The Klefbom scouting reports were glowing (especially Redline report) and as a fan I was looking forward to tracking the youngster this year. It's difficult because Klefbom plays for a deep team (despite struggles) and has often been playing for the J20 Farjestad squad so far in 11-12.

YEAR BY YEAR

I think the best way to compare these seasons is to add in items aside from the basic boxcars (GP, G, A, PTS). Below, I've given the boxcars by year but also added TOI and then plus minus. Let's have a look.

• 10-11: 16, 1-1-2 2pims, +1 12minutes a game 6 hits
  • 11-12: 7, 0-0-0 0pims +2 7minutes a game 3 hits

The SEL and hockeydb sites have Klefbom playing 23 games last season but I went through and counted them and 7 of the games that had him listed did not show any TOI. For the purposes of our look at progress, I think games played is important so wanted to make things accurate.

Klefbom has had some injury issues (we discussed them here) and is playing fewer minutes this season. However, in recent games the young man appears to be getting more ice time and there's a lot of season left to burn.

I don't think we can read too much into the lack of offense, as PP time doesn't appear to be plentiful at this point in his SEL career.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

We shouldn't expect major items like goals and assists from a kid playing 7 minutes a night, but if we look again in January and he's up to 12 minutes that shows progress. He doesn't appear to be hampering the team at evens and despite injuries and HS's Klefbom is playing.

This week it was announced that Klefbom will play for Sweden in the 4Nations tournament in Finland during November, and he would have to be considered a strong option for the WJ's in Alberta this December. He went 6, 1-3-4 a year ago at the World Juniors for Sweden.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 justDOit
October 27 2011, 11:26AM

Woo-HOO! The game is on TSN tonight! Won't have to listen to LdB blather incessantly (his advice to Luongo on the last broadcast was hilarious).

Boo-HOO! The Caps are in town... the same Caps that handed the Wings a 7 - 1 beat-down. Still, better than having to watch a Minny or Phoenix game.

#52 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
October 27 2011, 11:32AM

@Romulus' Apotheosis

Thank you Romulus, not much of a lyrics guy, find it gets in the way of the music.

What are your thoughts on this... http://youtu.be/Tbr0blmQoJU?t=1m

By the way, those two you put up, are those yours? If so well done sir.

#53 Pucker
October 27 2011, 12:05PM

interesting article. Any chance we're going to see him at the World Juniors?

One or two pictures of Klefbom is fine.

Where's the babes?

#54 D-Man
October 27 2011, 12:07PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

I was just trying out a newer crystal ball. Sorry for leaving you guys hanging and not defending myself last night. My mother passed way last week and i'm the only offspring left in town to clean out here belongings from her residence. Her crystal ball works better than mine i guess, anyone want to buy one, since i have an extra?

What takes these Euro's so long to develope, why were the Oilers content to lay up and select an iffy prospect at 19th when we're smack dab in the middle of a rebuild. Burn the place to the ground, outside of 4,14,91,93 and 94 there's nothing left here. Time to start fresh here again and add to this smallish group

My apologies for your loss... I can only imagine the pain you're going through with the loss of your mother...

In regards to your last comment "..outside of 4, 14, 91, 93 and 94 - there's nothing left here. Time to start fresh here again and add to this smallish group'. Do you watch Oiler games?? I can't understand what more this group can do by going 4-2-2 in their first 8 games... The supporting cast does need an upgrade still on the blue line, but we have Marincin and Gernat doing awesome in the 'dub. Patience is a virtue; get some before watching the next Oilers game.

#55 D
October 27 2011, 12:16PM
Dangles13 wrote:

Ummm Paul Coffey?

Good point. I forgot about Coffey.

#56 Romulus' Apotheosis
October 27 2011, 12:17PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

What are your thoughts on this... http://youtu.be/Tbr0blmQoJU?t=1m

By the way, those two you put up, are those yours? If so well done sir.

Sidebar - Musical Interlude (sorry hockey folks)

I hear you on the lyrics. mostly get in the way, when you bother to listen to them it's usually some wet blanket anyway.

I'm diggin' that track. Didn't have you pegged for something so chill. (Also I guess you noted that Vandervelde is one letter away from Vandevelde!)

Here's some stuff you might life (sorry for the music bomb - 2nd passion after the Oil)

The earlier stuff I link isn't mine (that would be awesome). It's David Axelrod (60s instrumental jazz/pop composer and producer) and a Ghostface song using his sample. Here's some of the stuff Axelrod is famous for producing

and just for kicks. Here's another sweet track and followed by its awesome sampling in another Ghostface song

(sorry for all the music... I know, I know this is an Oiler blog stop changing the topic already, right? message received)

#57 Romulus' Apotheosis
October 27 2011, 12:20PM

@D

Wait, was that your avatar before, if so that is hilarious. If not, way to embrace your mental slip. I forgot about Coffey's number too.

#58 Romulus' Apotheosis
October 27 2011, 12:23PM
Pucker wrote:

interesting article. Any chance we're going to see him at the World Juniors?

One or two pictures of Klefbom is fine.

Where's the babes?

The article seems to imply he'll be there (barring injuries, which he seems prone to). He was there last year, but to be honest he slipped past me - too many names to keep track of beyond a few key players on each team after Canada.

#59 D
October 27 2011, 12:25PM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

Thanks Romulus :) It's been my Avatar forever - Coffey's my favourite hockey player of all time!

#60 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
October 27 2011, 12:29PM
D-Man wrote:

Haven't seen any Oiler hockey the last two weeks. Just been keeping in touch here to see what's going on.

I won't get to see tonights game but if the Oilers can brutalize that Washington defence the may have a good shot at another 2 pts. 2 guys on the d'man retrieving the puck, the first forechecker drives his shoulder into his torso. The second forechecking forward drives him into the boards again if he's still standing after the first forecheckers efforts. Hang a couple body bags from the scoreboard tonight and send a message.

#61 Romulus' Apotheosis
October 27 2011, 12:33PM
D wrote:

Tell me about it... I look at his stats and drool every time. How did a D create that much offence? Oh, the 80s! such a great time to be an Oiler.

[edit] not sure what is more impressive about 85-86 the 138points or the +61

#62 D
October 27 2011, 01:43PM
Romulus' Apotheosis wrote:

[edit] not sure what is more impressive about 85-86 the 138points or the +61

85 - 86 was a great year. 95 - 96 wasn't too bad either - considering the changes that had occured in the game by that point.

#63 mayorpoop
October 27 2011, 02:50PM

@Next up, is Connor McJesus.

sorry about your loss QB.

#64 D-Man
October 27 2011, 03:32PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

You haven't seen any hockey in the last two weeks... Here's a recap - asides from the kid line forecheck - our approach is more 'trapish' - like the Wild under the Lemaire regime. Boring to watch but extremely effective.

We won't be 'attacking' unless there's a legitimate offensive opportunity or a chance to get the puck on a dump in. You're preaching a bit of 'old time hockey' and even Washington has good puck moving defensemen - where that approach won't work...

Renney has locked down the forecheck a bit and is right now starting to open the gates... Washington has scored 30 goals over their first seven games with 9 guys having at least two goals... We'll be agressive but smart - or at least I hope or we can face a 7 - 1 blow up the Wings experienced last week.