Occupy Luongo Explained... I Guess

Thomas Drance
October 25 2011 12:42PM

Photo uploaded to the Occupy Luongo Facebook Page.

You probably noticed the dudes holding the Occupy Luongo signs at Rogers Arena last week, certainly Greg Wyshynski and Bruce Arthur did. Following up on his rocky performance in the Stanley Cup Finals, Luongo has struggled in the early going this season and Canucks fans have reacted with their own particular brand of impatience. All of this tension came to a boil during a rough third period against the New York Rangers on Tuesday. Towards the end of the game, Luongo was jeered by many of the fans in attendance, and his shaky play led the Vancouver Province to publish an editorial suggesting that Gillis trade Luongo to Tampa for Lecavalier…

The editorial was beyond preposterous, though at least it led to some hilarious fall-out on the Team1040 on Friday afternoon. While columnists from Lambert to Spector deservedly belittled Vancouver’s hockey fans as childish, Canucks fans mocked each other, and their star netminder endlessly on various forms of social media. Amidst the ruckus, these signs stood out as a provocative symbol of Luongo’s increasingly toxic relationship with Canucks fans.

But the signs were also confusing. Was the “Occupy Luongo” sign advocating demonic possession as a possible course of action to improve the play of the Canucks starting goaltender? Was it an attempt to start a grassroots movement aimed at fomenting the public pressure necessary to force Mike Gillis into trading the embattled on-line poker spokesman? Was it satirical?

I noticed during Thursday night’s game that the signs had a “facebook” icon on them, so I did a quick search and found the group that was associated with the sign bearers. It seemed to me that it was a bunch of attention seeking Luongo haters and I didn’t think much else of it. When I was approached by them on twitter and recognized their names from the facebook group, I figured I’d ask for an interview and they agreed.

I spoke with a few colleagues about it and one in particular told me that he was approached by the group earlier in the week and decided “not to give voice to bad ideas” on his blog. Still, I figured I’d do the interview and find out if there was a story there. After all, all I needed was to do an off-beat, slightly aggressive interview with a brash Luongo hater. It probably wouldn't be informative, but it might make for a fun read.

So I called the guy who I’d originally set up the interview with. He’s asked for his name to be omitted, so we’ll call him JC. Earlier in the week JC had been listed publicly on the Occupy Luongo page, but by the time the interview had begun the facebook group's privacy settings had been altered. He didn’t even answer the phone, rather, his friend did and he asked me to call him back so as not to waste JC’s cell-phone minutes. So much for the attention seeking.

I called JC’s friend back, asked if it would be all right if I recorded the conversation, and was ready to begin. That’s when the fellow I was talking to stopped me and asked, “do you think it would be okay if I ask you a couple of questions first?” “Sure.”

He asked me five questions, vetting me before consenting to go on. The exchange went like this: “How long have you been writing about sports?” “For a couple of years” “How long have you been a Canucks fan, and are you a Canucks fan?” “I’m a huge Canucks fan, and my whole life.” “Can I ask what your opinion is on Occupy Wallstreet and Occupy Vancouver” “I’m pretty apolitical...” “What did you think about the Lecavalier article?” “It was what it was, it was pretty stupid...” “What did you think about the Booth trade?” “I’m stoked.”

My answers were satisfactory, I suppose, and we continued with the interview. I asked him if I could use his name in the article and when he said he’d prefer if I didn’t, I asked him if “he’d like a pen name or an alias.” He thought about it for a second before he replied with, “call me the plant.”

My hopes for an obnoxious Luongo hater dashed, I began the conversation with “the Plant” who every now and then, would check in with JC who was also in the room. “The Plant” told me he was a twenty-two year old student, and that the Occupy Luongo idea began, “almost like the Occupy movement did: spontaneously.” Yep, turns out I hadn’t found a Luongo hater, nor had I found a spot of clever local satire, I’d come across some overly serious, precocious college kids.

“I wasn’t exactly sure where I was going with it at the start, I just think the Occupy Movement is quite a spectacle, and that the coverage of Luongo is as well. Once I saw what people were saying on twitter, online and then the editorial in the Province – I began to think about it a little bit more. I think there’s a parallel between the way the media covers a lot of issues, especially when it comes to the Occupy Movement and Luongo. It's just a created spectacle with no critical analysis, no new insight and no nuance. I feel like there’s a lot of knee-jerk reactions, and it’s the same type of knee-jerk reactions I saw in response to my sign. Sure an article about trading Luongo may bring interest, but I think we need more substance and less spectacle when it comes to media coverage.”

I asked him to clarify the name, and asked him what the goal of the signs, facebook page and nascent “movement” were beyond generating discussion, to which “the plant” responded: “we’re still figuring it out. We all have different goals, some of the other members have different opinions of what’s important.”

Next I asked “the plant” if the perception that the Occupy Luongo signs were critical of the Canucks goaltender were in fact, misplaced. “Me I wanted to be critical of the media and the blasé, same old Luongo talk. I see a parallel between that and the coverage of Occupy Vancouver, it’s all about the one-liners, but that’s not as important as the fact that the movement exists. Thousands of people are downtown acting in new ways, forming new relationships and being active in civil society in a way they weren’t before, and that’s valuable to society.”

Photo Tweeted out By the Occupy Luongo Twitter account.

The plant told me that the Rogers Arena staff confiscated their signs on Saturday, though security didn’t try to kick them out of the game, just that “the signs had to go.” I asked them how they planned on getting their message out now and they didn’t seem to have a clear plan of action.

When I asked “the Plant” about some of the sarcastic comments regarding the Occupy movement made by the “Occupy Luongo” user on the group’s facebook page, he told me that some of the group felt that way, but not him. He said he was in New York at Occupy Wall Street “the day after Officer Bellonia pepper sprayed that girl, and I was there when they marched to the police station and talked about police brutality. I was also there the next day when 500 people were arrested at the Brooklyn Bridge.”

When I asked if the movement was satirical, “the plant” gave me a muddled answer, “From my perspective yes, but the rest of the group, well some of them are anti-Luongo. Some of them think he’s more of an important issue than Occupy Vancouver and they don’t think Occupy Vancouver is a big deal. Some of us are disappointed with the contract and the length. One of our members actually tried to get an autograph (audible muttering in the background) … Oh I’m sorry I’m actually not supposed to mention that. Well Luongo wasn’t very nice to one of our members, so he has some hard feelings for the guy.”

And what is the group’s opinion on Glass-Steagal? Unsurprisingly, “I haven’t made up my opinion yet to be honest.”

So it turns out there isn’t much of a story here, but I did discover that the movement does in some respects represent the city of Vancouver's oftentimes bipolar relationship with Roberto Luongo. Sometimes it really does seem as if Canucks fans can’t decide whether or not we want to run the bloke out of town, or if we’d rather just get his autograph.

3136ae487fac57943f99a50e66e4d6cf
Thomas Drance lives in Toronto, eats spicy food and writes about hockey. He is an NHL News Editor at theScore, the ex-managing editor of CanucksArmy.com and an opinionated blowhard to boot. You can follow him on twitter @thomasdrance.
#1 Yasha Wolfman "The Plant"
October 25 2011, 02:05PM

I appreciate the publicity, the movement lives on, the worlds is ours, the canucks are ours #occupyluongo

#2 photosynthesis
October 25 2011, 02:19PM

@Yasha Wolfman "The Plant"

you hold up signs at a hockey game. there's no movement. shut up you tool.

#3 MALICE
October 25 2011, 02:21PM

@Yasha Wolfman "The Plant"

playaz we ain't the same i'm into caine and gunz

#4 J C
October 25 2011, 02:56PM

You have no story here because you didn't get the facts. I came up with #OL and made the signs. The person you talked to, provided the tickets to Minnesota. I only deleted myself from the group because you interviewed The Plant and therefore got all political and off topic. I really wanted to talk to you, but then it got delayed and I lost interest. The Plant wanted to talk to you a lot more then I did so I just handed him the phone.

The signs were a satire of The Occupy Global Movement, in the sense that Luongo is in the top 1% of paid athletes. The "movement" was made to also belittle the Occupy movement being in Vancouver. I joked that Luongo's contract is a bigger Vancouver issue than the US & EU financial crisis. We even talked about raising the remainder of Lu's contract and kicking him out of town. As you can probably tell, it was all supposed to be in good fun.

The Occupy Luongo signs were not about his stats 6 games in. They were making fun of his contract. I don't think any player ever delivers after signing one of these big contracts. I wasn't at the game where the whole stadium booed him by the way. And the signs weren't based on that happening. Luongo said himself how "the fans pay a lot of money to see the game so if they want to boo me, they have the right". How is my sign worse than booing him? You would not believe how many people laughed and gave us props at the game. Everyone understood we were joking.

I'm a loyal Canucks fan. I've watched every game for the past 5 years. I even followed to team to Boston and wore a Burrows jersey in TD Garden, twice. I took so much Luongo bashing from drunk Bostonians and I defended him to the death.

I would have sent this to the writer in an email, but after listening to that char interview with The Plant, I thought he would pull the story...Sorry you didn't get a chance to properly explain the story (get to troll)..

- JC

#6 JC
October 25 2011, 03:09PM

Fair enough..my fault for letting the plant run with this

#7 Shredder
October 25 2011, 03:10PM

This story could have been summed up as follows: Luongo sucks...Canuck fans aren't faithful to their players...university students can be clever and created "occupy Luongo" signs...

Good joke though: "Luongo's contract is a bigger Vancouver issue than the US & EU financial crisis"...

Have fun boo-ing this guy for the next decade though...although you guys warmed him up by yelling "LLLLLOOOOOOUUUUUU" after every save...sounds the same I guess.

#8 Cam Charron
October 25 2011, 03:13PM

What the HELL just happened here?

#9 Harrison
October 25 2011, 03:15PM

Pretty decent article, considering the source material is terrible. JC, if you want your movement represented, you don't "lose interest" and give the stump to your resident nutjob. That's how John McCain lost the 2008 election.

#10 The Plant's Publicist
October 25 2011, 08:03PM

The Plant is not responsible for the 1st comment on this article.

#11 Synic
October 25 2011, 08:08PM

I think JC and "The Plant" are the same person.

#12 J C
October 25 2011, 09:13PM

No, we are not the same person. This should be clear by now. I am not out for publicity, that's why I didn't talk to you. I still believe the movement has value, and you can see that by the number of people who have been moved, inspired by the notion.

People have different views, that's just reality. Not everyone is going to agree.

But it's the 1% which you can't forget and in that sense it's a world issue. But here in vancouver it is The Issue. #occupyvancouver

- JC

#13 JC
October 25 2011, 09:42PM

LOL I didn't write that ^ ....

- JC

#14 Patrick Johnston
October 25 2011, 10:59PM

*yawn*

JC, nice of you to waste Thom's time.

#15 The Coon
October 25 2011, 11:56PM

@The Plant's Publicist

hahahahah i didn't think so

#16 Kamikaze
October 26 2011, 10:12AM

Wow this JC cat sounds like a real puss. The plant is hilarious! Gooooooo plant!

#17 MalcolmWasRight
October 26 2011, 05:48PM

Bobby will most probably do fine this year, bless his soul. Occupiers will probably tired/cold/bored as the winter sets in.

Either way, it's all worthwhile so long as it feeds our need for the SPECTACLE.

Long live The Plant! May he grow and flourish, and may we all enjoy the fruits that spring forth.

ps: 99% WANT SCHNEIDER!

#18 What did I just read??
October 26 2011, 07:41PM

Can we get an encore? Wtf mate, that was ridiculous... Expected just a stupid luongo hater loser. Although I feel like this author just got next level trolled :p

#19 LOL
October 27 2011, 04:11AM

Wow this plant character is classic! Needs his own blog!

#20 peanutflower
October 27 2011, 08:24AM

What the hell was that all about? Just like the "occupy" movement, "occupy Luongo" seems just as much a "spectacle with no critical analysis, no new insight and no nuance." And Luongo certainly is not in the top 1% of athlete salaries. I noticed that the 1% want Schneider signs didn't last long -- I'd have to check the old PVR, but did they disappear after Schneider let in two or three goals, or did the signs get removed by security? Personally, I hate seeing this kind of crap during the game on TV. Take the signs downtown to the art gallery lawn instead.

#21 luongo lover
October 27 2011, 05:30PM

LOL, luongo hurt JC's feelings? :p disgruntled lover

#22 krazibone
October 27 2011, 05:48PM

@peanut can't take a joke when it comes to your canucks? I'm a habs fan but this is hilarious. The couple of canucks games ive been to have had one of the weakest crowds in canada I have ever seen [excluding Toronto]. Most people who go don't even know 4/5ths of the roster. These guys must be trolling on the whole town and how dumb and corporate most of the fan base is. I LOLed at the signs. Occupy Luongo!!!

#23 Schneider
October 27 2011, 11:53PM

The way I view Occupy Vancouver, and Occupy Wall St., in general, is that what we are witnessing is simply just a natural evolution of politics. The era in which the nations ruled the world is over. With the information revolution and the demise as the U.S. as the dominant world power, three groups have joined nations as important global players: transnational corporations, international organizations, and special interest groups. In this vein, Occupy Vancouver is an alternate arena for organizing and carrying out efforts that are separate from the realm of government. These efforts should not be denounced, as participatory governance and advocacy are critical to healthy, democratic societies.