GAME 5 SO AWESOME

Wanye
June 07 2010 05:26PM

What a wonderful hockey match last night. Hat tip to Ross Creek for the photograph suggestion.

Flyers lose Game 5. Chris Pronger is a joyous -5 on the night. Dustin Byfuglien collects 5 points, sending Hawks fans into a frenzy. The Hawks chased Leighton from the net for the second time in the Cup Finals and confidence in the starting goalie is reaching a low point at the absolute worst time possible for Philly.

Goalies are a strange lot aren't they? It always amazes us the thin line between awesome and terrible and how much of it has to do with confidence on a given night. Enter Michael Leighton and the Philadelphia Flyers. The Flyers have started five different goalies this season and the duties of getting the Flyers through the post season fell on Leighton's shoulders and he is arguably one of the biggest reasons that the Flyers find themselves in Game 6 of the SCF10.

But Leighton has struggled mightily in the Finals with a 4.02 goals GAA and .867 save percentage. He has been lit up soundly and has been pulled in two seperate occasions during those same Finals oscillating between hero and zero so often that some Flyers fans have found themselves wishing for the return of steady Tommy Soderstrom between the pipes.

Think that a gigantic GAA and being pulled is enough to put serious doubt as to Leighton starting in G6? Sprinkle in the fact that he wasn't even expected to be in the top two goaltenders in the system - he started the year behind Boucher and Emery - and you have what scientists refer to as "a dilly of a goaltending pickle."

The end result is that Brian Boucher could see action again tomorrow night despite being "also not very good" and that leaves the blood of some Flyers fans stone cold and the brain of Flyers Coach Peter Laviolette a tad frazzled.

We can't even decide of Leighton is a good goalie, or the latest tender that Pronger has been able to trick into being awesome for a post season. Either way, you have to give the advantage to the Hawks.

Sweet.

Who would you start if you were in charge? If we were making the call we would immediately suspend Chris Pronger and go with a well rested Ray Emery.

But that is just us.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 canucks suck
June 07 2010, 05:31PM

You only hate Pronger because you're scared of him. I bet you it wasn't his idea to leave Edmonton, If I'm correct I can assure you his wife dragged him out of there.

#3 Wanyes bastard child
June 07 2010, 05:35PM

So im over on flamesnation when I seen this. My first thought as I saw your article here was "Boy is that WI chick gonna be unhappy with you."

#4 canucks suck
June 07 2010, 05:38PM

@Wanye

I'm sorry about your ten dollars, I swear Chris is whipped though and its his wife who made him leave, I don't see how or why you would want to leave a city like when he had a good chance at the cup the year before unless you had some girl nagging at you to move somewhere warm like lets say California.

#7 jeanshorts
June 07 2010, 05:43PM

Tommy Soderstrom (I could have sworn there was a couple J's in there somewhere) has easily the greatest mask in the history of goaltending, second only to Arturs Irbe.

#8 Reagan
June 07 2010, 05:50PM

Pronger is Hilarious!

#9 canucks suck
June 07 2010, 05:54PM

@Reagan

Hahaha I agree just watching him on the ice and his mannerisms are so funny.

#10 Eddie Shore
June 07 2010, 06:24PM

Tommy Soderstrom is badass. Chimo stick with no tape... sick.

#11 I LOVE YOU WANYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
June 07 2010, 06:28PM

LOL @ Puck Fronger. *SHRIEKS*

#12 I LOVE YOU WANYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
June 07 2010, 06:28PM

*Fronger

I MEANT FRONGER DAMN IT

#14 Crooked
June 07 2010, 07:14PM

I don't like Pronger in another sweater, but I loved him with the Oilers and watching him throughout the playoffs the past few seasons has reminded me why. It's just too bad he's such an ass. He just makes it so easy to hate him, but he really seems to get a kick out of that.

#15 Lebowski
June 07 2010, 07:42PM

Where are the other writers? I don't like reading Wanye, never have. Don't even know how to pronounce his silly first name--Wan Yee? Don't like his silly avatar either. But to each his own I guess. I'll vote with my feet.

#16 I LOVE YOU WANYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
June 07 2010, 07:58PM
Lebowski wrote:

*dead silence*

I.... I can't believe you just said that.

*Claps once, so loud that you give birth to a Cheetos-eating monkey*

Welcome to WanyeNation.

#17 Justin
June 07 2010, 08:11PM

I really hope Philly wins this...

#18 jeanshorts
June 07 2010, 08:13PM
Crooked wrote:

He's been my favorite player since I was but a spry, young jeanshorts, but man has he ever been a Grade A c-word over the last couple weeks. I'm starting to doubt my own tastes.

*looks into a mirror and stares at his own, dead eyes for over 3 hours*

#19 Harlie
June 07 2010, 08:21PM
Lebowski wrote:

uggh...troll with a foot fetish.

#20 canucks suck
June 07 2010, 09:46PM

@Justin

Me too I like Pronger myself but that aside the rest of the team are great guys(13 not so much but hes good at what he does and I like him minus the stupid penalties). I would love to see Richards hoist that cup though.

#21 Minister D-
June 07 2010, 09:56PM

Seriously, can anyone name a worse goaltending tandem in the Stanley Cup finals than Niemi and Leighton/Boucher?

#22 SmellOfVictory
June 07 2010, 11:00PM

Niemi is a solid goaltender. He may not be elite, but he's a legitimate starter, imo.

#23 David S
June 07 2010, 11:43PM

No fan of the Oilers can hack on any goalie that's starting a SCF game.

Nobody.

#24 swannz
June 08 2010, 02:22AM

"Sprinkle in the fact that he wasn't even expected to be in the top two goaltenders in the system - he started the year behind Boucher and Emery"

Call me crazy, but wasn't Leighton a Hurricane until the Flyers picked him up off of waivers when the injuries hit?

If he was "expected" to be in the Flyers system at all when the year started then Paul Holmgren is clairvoyant.

#27 Minister D-
June 08 2010, 08:21AM

@David S

I'm not from Edmonton. The question stands.

#28 David S
June 08 2010, 02:48PM
Minister D- wrote:

I'm not from Edmonton. The question stands.

^ Comment fixed.

#29 Amber McCormick
June 08 2010, 03:06PM

@Lebowski

The other writers are dealing with a constant feeling of inadequacy because of Wanye's mad writing skills. It's like a talent show; you don't want to follow the person with flaming batons that spits fire and then recreates a flawless Monet with a brush in their ass. That's what it's like having an article posted immediately after one of Wanye's.

#30 David S
June 08 2010, 03:50PM
Amber McCormick wrote:

I think its "mad writing skilz, brah".

But the rest, nailed it. Although I wouldn't include Brownlee in that list. I think he eats guys like Wanye for breakfast.