Around the league - Feb 11, 2010

Jason Gregor
February 11 2010 03:07PM

I’m stoked the Olympics are almost here, and unlike most Canadians I actually am looking forward to more than just the hockey tournament. Of course fans will be watching every moment of the men’s hockey, and rightfully so, but do the networks really need to try and up-sell it to the fans.

On Home Soil, which aired this week on TSN and Sportsnet, the behind-the-scenes video on how the men’s hockey team was chosen was excellent. Don Metz and his crew from Aquila caught pretty much everything. It was great to see the conversations that went on regarding why Steve Yzerman, Kevin Lowe, Mike Babcock and the rest of the management/coaching staff chose the players they did.

Last night on Sportsnet aired The Olympians. It was a feature specifically on Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby, and it talked about the possibility of a gold medal clash between these two and their respective countries. We all know it would be awesome TV to watch Canada take on Russia in the final, of course being in Vancouver and watching it live would be even better, but only a handful have tickets.

However, when Stephen Brunt, a journalist I really respect and appreciate his writings, says things like, “Our hearts will beat like they never have before if these two meet in the final,” it makes me cringe.

If you are under 37 then it will be a major event, but even those under 37 have heard the tales of the 1972 Summit Series. I’m sorry a Russia/Canada gold medal match up featuring Crosby v. Ovechkin won’t compare. In ’72, it was an eight-game series with a volatile political landscape that isn’t here today. I know they want people to get excited about the Olympics because our country is hosting them, but let’s not make this out to be the best sporting event of our lifetime.

We will all be watching, but don’t to pretend it will be bigger than it is. And what if the gold medal is Canada v. Sweden are you telling me that Canadians won’t be just as excited/nervous watching that game?

I would argue that watching a seven-game Eastern final between Washington and Pittsburgh might be more entertaining because the drama would build over the course of two weeks. It won’t grip our National pride in the same fashion, but the build up and intrigue of a seven game series between the league’s two best players would be riveting hockey.

The Olympics will be great hockey, and I’m praying for a Canada/Russia gold medal game, but I don’t think the nation’s heartbeat will come close to the pounding Canadians felt in 1972.

Sticking with the Olympics, I think Canada and Russia are the two favourites, but you can’t discount Sweden. They are the defending champs. The Sedin Sisters are playing great, Henrik Lundqvist is a stellar tender, their defense has a good mix of puck movers and bangers, (Doug Murray is the best Swedish name ever) and their supporting cast of Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Alfreddson, Patric Hornqvist is under-rated. I think they will give Canada and Russia a run for their money.

The USA has Ryan Miller, but their lineup just doesn’t seem to have enough offensive fire power to compete with the top three. It will be great hockey, but I’m just as excited to see some great athletes in the other sports.

Short track speed skating is awesome, as are the aerials, moguls and down hill skiing. Let the Games begin.

Ice women of the week

With the Olympics almost here, here’s a few reasons why you might be drawn to watch some other events.

Skier Lindsey Vonn:

Snowboarder Gretchen Bleiler:

And lastly Biba Golic... I know she isn’t technically in these Olympics, but she has to be the hottest table-tennis player in the world:

Random thoughts

• Interesting move by the Stars to acquire Kari Lehtonen. It is clear they aren’t bringing Marty Turco back, but doesn’t that lessen his trade value now that Lehtonen is in the picture? When the Stars were in town Turco admitted his game wasn’t as consistent as it should be, but he didn’t feel worn down or tired. He won’t come close to the $5.7 million cap hit on his next contract, but you have to think a lot of teams would take him for $3 million for a year or two. He’ll be 35 next season, but he’s only been a starter for seven years and doesn’t have a history of injuries. He was a late-bloomer with not much wear and tear on his body.
  • The Canucks are 2-3 on their 14-game road trip and have stops in Florida, Columbus and Minnesota before the Olympic break. The Canucks need to make some hay against these non-playoff teams or they’ll be in a dog fight when they return in March.
  • Ilya Kovalchuk has no goals on 23 shots in four games with the Devils. He’ll score eventually, but you do wonder how he’ll get along with Jacques Lemaire. Marian Gaborik despised Lemaire when they were in Minnesota, and Kovalchuk is even more of a free-spirit on the ice. It will be interesting to see how those two work together.
  • An Ethan Moreau sighting last night. I think it’s been three months since anyone has seen the no-teeth grin from Moreau. I’m not surprised his best game in two months came in Anaheim, and a few more games like that will make Steve Tambellini’s job of moving his captain much easier.
  • The Coyotes just keep winning. I can’t explain it, but it is great to see. What happens if in late March and early April the Coyotes are selling out and the Oilers are playing in front of 2,000 empty seats?
  • The Sabres are reeling. They’ve lost five straight, but it’s who they are losing to that should be a concern. Losses to Boston, Carolina and Columbus this week has to make Darcy Regier a bit nervous. The Sabres had more shots in every game, but they can’t score. Regier needs to bring in a goal-scorer, because Ryan Miller can’t win every game by himself.
  • Bob Gainey steps down as GM and is now an advisor in Montreal. Kevin Lowe has a better title, but he is basically an advisor for Tambellini. Lowe’s primary focus is the running of the Oilers, Oil Kings and now Oklahoma City. I wonder if he was given the advisor title if that would have appeased frustrated Oiler fans? I think until Steve Tambellini makes this roster HIS players people will still think Lowe is involved. The ball
  • Steve Ott will be an UFA this summer, and some feel he might get between $2.5- $3 million a season. If he is recovered from his appendectomy surgery by March 1st, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stars deal him. He is one of the best agitators in the game, and one of the best quotes in the league. The Oilers can’t afford him, but he is the exact type of player they need.
  • The Capitals could become the first team since 1992/1993 to have five 30-goal scorers. Alex Ovechkin, Alex Semin and Nicklas Backstrom are slam dunks. Mike Knuble has 21 in 48 games, while Brooks Laich will be hard-pressed to do it. He’ll need 10 goals down the stretch to do it. Vancouver and Tampa Bay have three guys with twenty goals.
  • The 1975 Sabres, Rick Martin (52), Rene Robert (40), Gilbert Perrault (39), Don Luce (33), Rick Dudley (31) and Danny Gare (31), the 1978 Islanders, Mike Bossy (53), Bryan Trottier (46), Clark Gillies (35), Denis Potvin, Bob Nystrom and Bob Bourne (30) and the 1985 Jets, Dale Hawerchuk (53), Paul Mclean (41), Laurie Boschman (32), Brian Mullen (32), Doug Small (31) and Thomas Steen (30) had six 30-goal men to share the league record.
  • Good to see some of you have been paying attention to the stats. I’ve noticed how some are just realizing now that Shawn Horcoff is in the lead for the Green jacket with a gaudy -31 ranking. I’ve been updating that every week in the stats part of this piece. Horcoff and Brind’Amour have been battling for the past six weeks, but Horcoff has jumped ahead. But Patrick O’Sullivan is giving him a run now at -28. Brind’Amour sits at -26 while Robert Nilsson at -21 and Richard Park at -20 round out the leader board.

Leaders through the season

Here are the top ten in pts, goals, assists and other stats.

Goals:
42:
Alex Ovechkin (six goals this week)
39: Sidney Crosby
38: Patrick Marleau
35: Marian Gaborik
33: Steven Stamkos
32: Dany Heatley
31: Ilya Kovalchuk
27: Anze Kopitar and Bobby Ryan
26: Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin, Mike Cammalleri, Rick Nash and Zach Parise
***Looks like Kopitar is starting to heat up again with seven points this week***

Assists:
59:
Joe Thornton
53: Henrik Sedin (no assists this week)
49: Nicklas Backstrom (eight assists this week)
48: Brad Richards
46: Ovechkin and Martin St. Louis and
43: Tomas Plekanec
42: Mike Green and Ryan Getzlaf, Paul Stastny and Evgeni Malkin

Points:
88:
Ovechkin (eleven points this week)
78: H. Sedin (Zero points this week)
75: Backstrom (eleven points this week)
74: Crosby and Thornton

181: Matt Greene
180: Scott Nichol
175: David Backes
174: Mike Fisher

Shots:
274:
Ovechkin (24 shots this week)
258: Parise
250: Jeff Carter (nineteen shots this week)
219: Crosby
218: Gaborik
212: Phil Kessel
211: Rick Nash
210: Marleau
209: Malkin
207: B. Richards

Final Word

Curious who all you Citizens think should light the Cauldron in Vancouver tomorrow? Wayne Gretzky would be a great choice, but if it was me I’d have Betty Fox, Terry’s mom light it. He represented everything that was great about sports.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 MrZero
February 11 2010, 03:16PM

Isn't that Stacy Keibler in the third pick?

#2 Librarian Mike
February 11 2010, 03:18PM

How about Jeff Deslauriers to light the torch? He's an expert in things getting lit up...

#3 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 11 2010, 03:20PM

Stacey Kiebler play table tennis? Love the girls this week.

#4 LBH
February 11 2010, 03:20PM

Still no comments on the ethical issue eh... I'll keep waiting, but eventually I'll get bored, ha

I think someone who lost their child in Afghanistan should light the cauldron

#5 Archaeologuy
February 11 2010, 03:21PM

Excellent choice with Terry's mom. It seems very appropriate.

#6 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 11 2010, 03:23PM

On that final question I really don't care who it is but I wouldn't mind it being someone who actually lives in this country. Betty Fox sounded like a good choice when I heard about hear a few weeks back.

#7 Dyckster
February 11 2010, 03:23PM
Librarian Mike wrote:

ZING!

#8 Dan the Man
February 11 2010, 03:28PM

Bought my first non-Oiler hockey jersey this week. Got an Olympic Crosby Jersey, thank gawd the Olympics will give us something to cheer for this year.

The ice girls this week are the finest ever. Nothing better than athletic girls.

#9 SweetJimmyK
February 11 2010, 03:29PM

I think Mrs. Fox is a good choice. Another would be if there was any surviving members of the Toronto Granites hockey team. First Canadian althletes to win a gold medal in the Winter Olympics.

I think your statement about the 72 series is correct, sort of. There are alot of us that weren't alive for that event. The best we have is a toss up between the 87 Canada Cup and the 2002 Gold Medal.

As an aside, Gregor, you should convince the powers that be to up the strength of your guys' tower, I can't get your show in the large metropolis of Wainwright anymore. You are being overrun but what sounds like Mexican Banditos

#10 Mitch
February 11 2010, 03:31PM

Gregor I have been pushing for Ott to be in Edmonton for the last 4 months. I think you could bring him hear for 2.5m a yr, make Ott captian. Let the rebuild begin please.

#11 SirFozz
February 11 2010, 03:32PM

I believe Gretchen and Biba need some stay late with the coach for some extra practice. Giggity Giggity.

#12 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 11 2010, 03:35PM

Gregor

What is the deal with Dubnyk? Is there a limit of how many games he can play in the NHL in order to make it back for the roster freeze? Matheson touched base on this, but I really haven't heard anyone else talk about it.

#13 Muji 狗
February 11 2010, 03:36PM

How cool would it be if Zombie Terry Fox lit the torch?

Answer: very cool.

#14 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 03:37PM

MEMO to TAMBELLINI:

So... Marty Turco would've been the kind of guy to give a long-term deal to. He doesn't turn 35 til August. Good try on Nikki Rehab, though.

#15 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 03:38PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Stacey Kiebler play table tennis? Love the girls this week.

I thought that looked like Stacy Kiebler. SHE is hotter than fish grease!

#16 Wanye
February 11 2010, 03:38PM

GRETZKY TO LIGHT OLYMPIC TORCH

AP: Edmonton, AB

NHL legend and Canadian Icon Wayne Gretzky will be the final torchbearer when the Vancouver 2010 Olympics are officially opened on Friday.

As the single greatest Canadian ever to walk the Earth, it was only natural that #99 was hand picked by the VANOC committee to light the torch. "It's humbling that I have been chosen to light the Olympic Flame" Gretzky commented to reporters Thursday. "It has energized me to the point I am considering a return to hockey, in a playing capacity with the Edmonton Oilers."

- This is what my life has come down to Nation. Writing imaginary press releases, buck naked in front of my computer while bawling uncontrollably. Oh, is there another Oilers loss scheduled for tonight?

#17 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 03:39PM

As per Nick Kypreos...

RealKyper...Good news on Sam Gagner, MRI negative and will be back after the Olympic break. K http://myloc.me/3IVsQ

#18 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 11 2010, 03:40PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

I thought that looked like Stacy Kiebler. SHE is hotter than fish grease!

She has the nicest butt around, that is from chicks that were in maxim and such. Eva Mendes a close second.

#19 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 11 2010, 03:41PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

As per Nick Kypreos...

At this point I really don't know if I'm excited or just whatever.

#20 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 03:45PM

Stacy Kiebler with legs of beauty...

*drool*

#21 SirFozz
February 11 2010, 03:51PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Stacy Kiebler with legs of beauty...

*drool*

Aaaannnnd thanks for killing the last hour* of my work day.

*who am I kidding

#22 Librarian Mike
February 11 2010, 03:55PM
Muji 狗 wrote:

How cool would it be if Zombie Terry Fox lit the torch?

Answer: very cool.

Westjet called. Your ticket to Hell is ready.

#23 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 03:55PM

@SirFozz

You could probably spend a 40 hr work week googling (then oogling) Stacy Kiebler pics. THEE HOTTEST CHICK IN WRESTLING OF ALL TIME.

#24 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 11 2010, 03:58PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

She has that cute hot to me. Not that I'm hot but a b*tch look.

#25 Wanye
February 11 2010, 03:58PM
Librarian Mike wrote:

Westjet called. Your ticket to Hell is ready.

If you will excuse me, my pantaloons need to be changed as they seem to be soaked in laughter*

*urine

#26 SirFozz
February 11 2010, 03:59PM
Librarian Mike wrote:

Westjet called. Your ticket to Hell is ready.

Bet they'd have a funny hell joke on arrival.

#27 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 04:01PM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

She has that cute-hot-I'm-not-a-bitch-but-I'll-show-you-how-to-ride-the-rodeo kind of appeal. I think I'll give her a call.

#28 alan
February 11 2010, 04:03PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

As per Nick Kypreos...

Gregor wrote that yesterday. I'm curious why Gregor doesn't tweet stuff like that. Then Rosscreek can post it on the actual day, not days later from good ole Nicky...

#29 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 04:07PM

@alan

Ah... been away from the 'puter for a bit. Must've missed it

#30 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 04:09PM

Here's some actual pic's of Biba Golic...

#31 Milli
February 11 2010, 04:22PM

Oh ya, I cried when she quit gracing the ring!!!!

#33 Wanyes bastard child
February 11 2010, 04:26PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Yeah my bad...When I googled her images that was the first one that came up and I didn't look close enough and sent to the tech guys...oh well..I'm sure a shot of Keilber didn't ruin your day...

Personally I blame Bingo for leaving Wanye in charge, so no fault to you at all ;)

#34 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 04:35PM

@Jason Gregor

Quite the contrary, my man. A shot of Kiebler ALWAYS makes the day better. I noticed that Stacy's pic came up first when I googled Biba to see what she looked like. Looks like others have made that mistake too, after linking to a few of the articles on her.

#35 misfit
February 11 2010, 04:42PM

I don't see how aquiring Lehtonen makes Turco less valuable. If anything, it should increase his value now that there's one less goalie on the market. It's not like the Stars have to trade him.

#36 RossCreekNation
February 11 2010, 04:47PM

@misfit

Turco is a UFA at season's end though. I'm sure they'd like to get something for him, and now that they already have Lehtonen, it could be perceived that they may now actually get less than what they would have before.

If they didn't get Lehtonen already, then they could play it as though they "might" trade Turco or they might keep him, thus possibly getting more significant offers. Now teams know they want to move Turco and won't offer as much.

#37 Pajamah
February 11 2010, 05:40PM

Terry Fox eh?

I'm not touching that one with a 2 ft prosthesis

#38 Costanza
February 11 2010, 07:17PM
Pajamah wrote:

Terry Fox eh?

I'm not touching that one with a 2 ft prosthesis

Next time you might want to get someone with a brain to read your comment before you post it, that was terrible.

#39 Pajamah
February 11 2010, 07:48PM
Costanza wrote:

That was sort of the point...

My sense of humor is generally more of the "groan with disgust" variety re:Gene Principe's puns

Now, go attack the person who wanted "zombie Terry Fox" to light the Olympic flame

#40 SquidRx
February 11 2010, 08:49PM

Not to belittle the girls this week because I think you've made some awesome choices, but might I recommend local Alberta "ice girl" Mellissa Hollingsworth. Smokin' hot and she slides down an ice chute head first.

#41 OilBaron
February 11 2010, 09:27PM

Torch lighting:

I can't think of his name, but he was a local soldier who lost his legs in Afghanistan.

#42 DoubleJ
February 11 2010, 09:50PM

I like the play by play actually.

#43 DDP
February 12 2010, 09:10AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Here's some actual pic's of Biba Golic...

I'm taking up professional Ping Pong....anyone else want to join me?

#44 RossCreekNation
February 12 2010, 09:42AM

@DDP

*diamonds up*

BANG!

#45 michael
February 13 2010, 09:37AM

Horcoff 5.5 million cap. Blair Betts. 55000 cap hit. Betts just signed a 2 extension for 700000per season. Betts 11 points in 40 games this year. Horcoff. Who cares. My point. We could have had this guy for the same cash in the off season. And our face off issues and penalty kill issues may not have been so bad this year. What ifs. Lifes full of them. What if our GM had all the money in the world and could spend to the cap. We would be winners.No Sorry. Life isn't that kind. .