Happy birthday, to the newest Oiler

bingofuel
September 11 2009 05:30PM

comrie-chuck-norris-bday

It's a weird day, nationeers, for a lot of reasons. On the one hand, it's a solemn day on this the anniversary of September 11, 2001. On the other hand, it's the first day of the rest of our lives.

And while Gregor waxes intellectual about line combinations, Willis tweets about how the Oilers are not, in fact, over the cap, Brownlee grumbles quietly to himself (and loudly to others), and Wanye's off doing god-knows what, we thought it was important to make a certain someone feel welcome. Oh sure, Mike Comrie hasn't proven himself yet, but the lad knows that he does have something to prove.

So on this sunny Friday, let's all raise a glass to the newest Oiler.

Happy 29th birthday, Michael William Comrie.

You are now nearly as old as the many of the writers on this website. Except Brownlee, who was around when Jesus wore cowboy boots.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 Robin Brownlee
September 11 2009, 05:46PM

As if 73 is close to, like, 1,000 years old . . . Idiot.

#2 ShaunDoe
September 11 2009, 05:58PM

After seeing Brownlee's picture I thought he was an 80 year old woman. I just figured being a journalist was really, really, REALLY hard on the body. Well congrats on gaining another 7 years and two testis in my books Robin! (note: this post was intended as a joke and should be in no way taken as fact. If you, the reader, happen to be Robin Brownlee please do not "break off a size 13" in the posters you know what place)

#3 Kev
September 11 2009, 06:46PM

I always thought that it would SUCK to have a birthday on a date like September 11. Everyone is so solemn. Nobody is in the mood to party. It'd be like having terrorists crash your birthday party and blow out your candles just as you're about to make a wish.

#4 Robin Brownlee
September 11 2009, 07:01PM

@ Kev: Yes, it must be just like that.

#5 oilersordeath
September 11 2009, 07:02PM

What time is the game being streamed on line tonight?

#6 Cory Dakin
September 11 2009, 07:12PM

@ Kev: Hmmmm... That's an, um, interesting take on it.

#7 Ccubed82
September 11 2009, 07:42PM

The Hockey News fantasy guide is predicting Comrie to put up 43 points (67gp 20g-23a), The Score Forcaster is predicting 37 points (68gp 15g-22a). If he produces these numbers, is the signing good bang for the buck. And would people be happy with that output.

#8 BigE57
September 11 2009, 07:46PM

@ Kev:

Who's solemn? I've hardly heard anything about it in our neck of the woods today. Say your prayer, have your moment of silence or whatever you do and get on with the day.

#9 OvenChicken8
September 11 2009, 08:58PM

Kev wrote:

Wait wait wait... did I miss something? It's like you're trying to tell me something may have happened on this day years ago. OH I KNOW! It was when Hemsky first appeared in Edmonton for rookie camp. Am I right?

#10 OvenChicken8
September 11 2009, 08:59PM

Oh and happy birthday Mike. *Brings Comrie jersey out of the back of closet and wears proudly*

#11 Jonathan Willis
September 11 2009, 09:19PM

I hadn't realized Tambellini was the source of the over-the-cap talk, but I really can't see how he's right.

Unless they plan to keep Eberle.

#12 OvenChicken8
September 11 2009, 09:26PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

I hadn’t realized Tambellini was the source of the over-the-cap talk, but I really can’t see how he’s right. Unless they plan to keep Eberle.

You'd have to think they would be okay if they dropped a salary like Nilsson via waivers. But I'm not a cap expert :S

#13 Fro
September 11 2009, 09:38PM

Robin, last time I checked it was 2009 not 1009

#14 RossCreek
September 11 2009, 09:45PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

As it stands right now with all the extra bodies, they may be over the cap, but once a 23 man roster is set, they'd be just under (if I'm not mistaken).

#15 RossCreek
September 11 2009, 09:49PM

Oh... and...

Kev wrote:

WTF mane? Like wTf? Tell me I did not actually read that. I'm at a loss for words. Just... just... carry on there big Kev....................................................................................

#16 Clarkenstein
September 11 2009, 09:51PM

OvenChicken8 wrote:

Kev wrote: I always thought that it would SUCK to have a birthday on a date like September 11. Everyone is so solemn. Nobody is in the mood to party. It’d be like having terrorists crash your birthday party and blow out your candles just as you’re about to make a wish. Wait wait wait… did I miss something? It’s like you’re trying to tell me something may have happened on this day years ago. OH I KNOW! It was when Hemsky first appeared in Edmonton for rookie camp. Am I right?

Bad attempt at humor... poor taste!

*waves finger and shakes head slowly*

#17 mrzael
September 11 2009, 10:47PM

I'm happy you're back Mike "You Commie B******s" Comrie

#18 RossCreek
September 11 2009, 10:55PM

Sh'ant be long for round 2 - Mike Comrie V. Nigel Dawes

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58OdzsVlf5Q&eurl=http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/55200&feature=player_embedded

#19 Michael William
September 11 2009, 11:36PM

Whoa crazy my given names are Michael William. How random is that

#20 Robin Brownlee
September 12 2009, 12:01AM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

Or unless -- I know this seems an odd concept -- the GM of the Oilers knows the exact numbers because it's his job to know the exact numbers, whereas sources like CapGeek and similar sites are not exact and may not be complete, which is a disclaimer run by most of these sites.

I used to gather the contract terms of every Oiler player -- term, bonuses, everything -- with individual calls to agents, the players themselves, the NHLPA etc and put together my own tables. Even then, there was the occasional mistake. Now, people click on one site or another and take the information therein for truth and we get, "I really can't see how he's right." Isn't that twisted?

#21 Archaeologuy
September 12 2009, 12:18AM

Oilers over the cap? Nothing the Lou Lamoriello shuffle wont fix.

#22 442Junkie
September 12 2009, 12:40AM

I so want that birthday cake! Oh and happy Birthday young master Comrie.

#23 Cheezpuff
September 12 2009, 01:28AM

Archaeologuy wrote:

Came back from the Football game, best part of the game was easily the older security guard who used his wicked old man powers to keep two twenty something clowns at bay with an awesome single handed choke and a forearm shiver of Prongerian proportions. Oilers over the cap? Nothing the Lou Lamoriello shuffle wont fix.

Section L?

#24 David S
September 12 2009, 02:57AM

Kev wrote:

Is this a joke? Because everybody at the bar(s) I was at pretty much partied their brains out, as did I. September 11? Yeah whatever. Everybody knows it was a setup anyways.

"Everybody is so solemn." Boo-hoo. Ok. Lets's go down to the lego-slature and light some candles. Man, that's rich.

Mua-hahahaha! Have another green tea, and braid up those dreadlocks while you're at it.

#25 cableguy
September 12 2009, 07:32AM

Robin Brownlee wrote:

Or unless — I know this seems an odd concept — the GM of the Oilers knows the exact numbers because it’s his job to know the exact numbers, whereas sources like CapGeek and similar sites are not exact and may not be complete, which is a disclaimer run by most of these sites. I used to gather the contract terms of every Oiler player — term, bonuses, everything — with individual calls to agents, the players themselves, the NHLPA etc and put together my own tables. Even then, there was the occasional mistake. Now, people click on one site or another and take the information therein for truth and we get, “I really can’t see how he’s right.” Isn’t that twisted?

well played.

~not bad for a guy who has skid-marked tightie whities older than most of the posters on this board~

#26 BUCK75
September 12 2009, 07:48AM

Michael William wrote:

Whoa crazy my given names are Michael William. How random is that

HAHAHAHA

X3

#27 The Menace
September 12 2009, 09:23AM

I think when the smoke clears this Comrie contract will look pretty good. I have an uncle that said he wouldn't be an Oiler fan if they signed him - so he's in a bad spot right now, but i think this really makes our team better.

Oh, and Jeanshorts told me of a Leafs fan that will eat his shoe if Comrie gets 45 points, so that's what I'm pulling for.

#28 Archaeologuy
September 12 2009, 10:16AM

Cheezpuff wrote:

Section L? That was pretty awesome, I was sitting two seats away form the guy who was goading him on. Very entertaining.

I was two rows up and a few seats out from there. It looked like that security guard was gonna throw those guys down the stairs. I wouldnt be surprised if the guy was an off-duty cop or ex-military and just moonlighting.

#29 The Menace
September 12 2009, 02:03PM

Archaeologuy wrote:

or Chuck Norris?

#30 Jerry D. Smith
September 12 2009, 04:35PM

To Mike Comrie

Dear Mike

Hi How are you? Oh you're fine, well that's great? Hey Mike quick question for you, did you come back to the Oilers because all the other teams found out that you suck on the ice, and don't want any part of you? Also what did Hillary think of this, I am sure she is really pickled pink.... I am quite sure that you have had a good couple of sleeps on the couch at your home.. By the way Mike Comrie I guess with you coming back our beloved Oilers will be planning a stanley cup parade.... wait, what's that?? They're not? Oh my bad......

Sincerely Your friend Jerry D. Smith (aka the Duffanator)

#31 RossCreek
September 12 2009, 08:51PM

@ Jerry D. Smith: FAIL Jerry D. Smith wrote:

pickled pink

DOUBLE FAIL

#32 Robin Brownlee
September 12 2009, 10:20PM

@ Jerry D. Smith: The Duffanator is it? I tell you, Mike better keep an eye on his girl with a sharp guy like you around. I mean, she's only human and there's a very good chance she's reading the comments here on ON regularly now that Mike's an Oiler.

Mike had better play it smart or Hilary could be the future Mrs. Soon-to-be-night-manager (or other bunghole job) at (fill-in name of crackass fast food outlet here) before we know it. That Mike, what a loser.