Oh snap, Puffy!

Wanye
September 10 2009 04:52PM

comrie-home

Well, well, well. What do we have here? Methinks that a certain booze addled, unemployable internet sensation hath correctly predicted something occurring — even though people who actually know stuff vehemently disagreed with us and called us names in the process.

We talked to Brownlee last night as he was hard at work using actual connections and journalisticity to talk to Comrie himself and find out the real deal long in advance of today’s signing.

“Now listen here you witless bastard,” Brownlee helpfully began, “I don’t know how an idiot like you managed to actually scoop the herd on this story but let me give you a piece of advice. Now that it turns out you are right — do yourself a favor and don’t gloat. Professionals don’t need to say I told you so and if you want to be taken seriously neither can you. Just report the facts, say it will be interesting and leave it be.”

Hmm.

How about no?

For those of you who don’t need or don’t care for a recap of our correctedness – here is a recap.

We said, on Twitter: "I'm going to throw this out because I was told it by a trustworthy dude. Rumors of Comrie signing to a 1 yr deal at 1.3 with the Oil. WTF?" — 1:03 PM Aug 27th

Then we posted about it on the Nation.

The response from real media folk was unanimous.

Matheson said: “It may be the hottest rumour on Internet sites, but forget about Mike Comrie and the Edmonton Oilers kissing and making up.”

David Staples also chimed in: "Last Thursday, a writer, who goes only by a pen name, Wanye Gretz, reported on Oilers Nation, a hockey blog, information from an unnamed source that Oilers owner Daryl Katz was trying to sign up Mike Comrie.”

And for some reason, Pedro felt the need to comment with a single sentence as the 201nd comment on our initial story: Yay #200!

Well, we won’t use our massive correctness as a platform to yell back at people who rip on us, or poke fun at institutions of journalism. But we will say this:

“We told you so.”

*lights cigarette and lies contented in bed next to the correct rumor prediction, who looks appropriately pleasured*

Mike Comrie is an Oiler. No this isn’t an alternate dimension, no it isn’t some sort of internet tomfoolery nor a joke Katz is playing on all of us.

So be it, we for one welcome the return of our diminutive overlord. Whatever demons that roosted when Comrie left town will now hopefully depart for other cities in the NHL. If Comrie can return and play well in Edmonton, with its snowy winters, snowy summers and 400 foot gold statue in tribute to Snowy — that dog from Tintin — then anyone can play here. And we welcome this shift in attitude.

Sweet.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#101 Neil Sherwood
September 11 2009, 08:34AM

Anyone this good at blowing their own horn must be awesome at blowing themself infront of the mirror while flexing their bicep. Journalism factor: 0 Fluff factor: 10 The best martial artists are those you'd never know are life long practitioners. The worst are those that say they're the bomb. Which one are you Gretz?

#102 jeff
September 11 2009, 08:41AM

@ Neil Sherwood: I don't know Brock Lesnar thinks he is the bomb and as of now I would say he is.

#103 Neil Sherwood
September 11 2009, 08:43AM

@ jeff: Brock is big, not talented

#104 OvenChicken8
September 11 2009, 08:45AM

Neil Sherwood wrote:

@ jeff: Brock is big, not talented

THATSSSS what she said.

#105 jeff
September 11 2009, 08:46AM

@ Neil Sherwood: Your sadly mistaken if you don't think he has some talent. His wrestling is probably tops in the world.

#106 R2PeePoo
September 11 2009, 08:46AM

It was very sensitive of them to sign Comrie the day before his birthday... oh shucks, that's 'quite neat'... but seriously, I think this will be good for both sides, hopefully a double shot of redemption

#107 toprightcorner
September 11 2009, 08:57AM

I am a little concerned about this signing and I hop it is more of a back up plan just in case. I know Nilsson has not shown any type of consistency in the past two years, but he is arguable the second best naturally skilled player on the team. If he is able to play consistently, he has the ability to scor 70+ points. I think the Oil needs to give him a very legitimate shot on this team with the new coaching staff to see if he can prove it. It kind of reminds me of Miroslav Satan. Two years under MacT, known as inconsistent and not living up to his potential with 35 and 28 points in his first two years. He went to Buffalo and had seasons of 46, 66, 67, 62, 73, and 75 points. He scored 22, 40, 33, 29, 37 and 26 points.

This is a prime example of an offensivly gifted player that had a difficult time being consistent under Mac T. Do we want another repeat of Satan? With a new coaching staff, new philosiphy, and a new commitment by Nilsson, he definitly has the ability to follow the same path as Satan.

I also think Cogs needs to be given a legitimate change to score goals. With consecutive seasons of 18 goals, playing mostly on the 3rd line with minimal PP time, I believe he has the skill set and shot to score 25 - 30 goals if put in the right position, and winger is not it.

Comrie will likely only be here for one year. If he scores 30+, we will not be able to afford the 4+ mill he will command. If he doesn't do well, we do not resign him. Not worth the risk of limiting the progression of two talented players who are much younger.

I would like to see Comrie play 3rd line centre and put Cogs in a spot to score and use his speed to cut in from the boards. I would also hope that Nilsson will get an ample opportunity to prove his worth under new coaches.

The only thing Comerie can do, is show the young small guys how to play bigger and with a bit of an edge. I would have much rather seen a F/O and PK specialist for the 3rd line.

But at $1.125 mill, I guess you can't go wrong.

#108 Neil Sherwood
September 11 2009, 08:58AM

@ jeff: Yeah, I'm going to debate the martial art talent of Brock Lesnar with you Jeff. I said martial artist, not wrestler....they have different histories and ......UFC has fighters and martial artists. Machida is an artist, Brock is a fighter/wrestler/freak show......it broke my heart when he beat a true fighter like Randy only due to size. BTW Randy doesn't pop off about how good he is in the ring, he just brings it. Which is also a good example of my very first point before you tried to debate it with the lamest argument of all time.

#109 KenL
September 11 2009, 09:04AM

I'm usually for taking the high road. But I've been in Wanye's position recently with a former employer, where I screamed left and right, for almost 6 months, where I knew I was right. Only to have my opinion ignored or ridiculed. In the end I was right (it concerned the competency of lawyer we were using) and you bet I told the owner "I told you so"!

When a local HOF writer disses you and is proven wrong, and he doesn't have the humility to acknowledge his error - you have every right to lord it over him (and others). It doesn't look good, but who cares! Enjoy the moment Wanye.

#110 The Pestival
September 11 2009, 09:08AM

Neil Sherwood wrote:

Anyone this good at blowing their own horn must be awesome at blowing themself infront of the mirror while flexing their bicep. Journalism factor: 0 Fluff factor: 10 The best martial artists are those you’d never know are life long practitioners. The worst are those that say they’re the bomb. Which one are you Gretz?

Sense of humour factor: 0 Douche bag factor: 11

#111 Neil Sherwood
September 11 2009, 09:10AM

@ The Pestival: I like that one Penistival. You could learn from him Jeff.

#112 Ccubed82
September 11 2009, 09:26AM

The Hockey News fantasy guide is predicting Comrie to put up 43 points (67gp 20g-23a), The Score Forcaster is predicting 37 points (68gp 15g-22a). If he produces these numbers, is the signing good bang for the buck.

#113 Tanner
September 11 2009, 09:31AM

It's funny how just last year someone we booed consistently everytime he touched the puck, we now welcome back. At the same time it's good to see some people actually grow up and put things aside. They way I see it, this team, this city, we're so desperate to actually make the playoffs, we'd almost roll out a red carpet for the human rake if it meant making back to the promise land.

#114 patty
September 11 2009, 09:36AM

@ Neil Sherwood: You do realize that Randy started out as a wrestler right? Just like Hendo and a ton of other great fighters. Brock has been training his bag off for over 3 years and to say he isn't talented is nuts. He may be a world class douche, but he's also a world class fighter.

#115 dyckster
September 11 2009, 09:37AM

The Pestival wrote:

Sense of humour factor: 0 Douche bag factor: 11

Correction - Douch bag factor: 1100

Fack, get a grip NEIL, it was Wanye simply having a little fun, besides what's wrong with a little self pat on the back?

Go back to writing dumb ass letters to Costco, QTips, Julia Roberts.........dink.

#116 Robin Brownlee
September 11 2009, 09:41AM

Neil Sherwood wrote:

@ The Pestival: I like that one Penistival. You could learn from him Jeff.

Don't be such an asscrack. While Wanye is a sad, broken figure to be both pitied and mocked on many levels, he's got every right to crow a bit. A big part of this gig, aside from using goofy pictures and encouraging discussion, is actually providing some news and breaking stories. We've absolutely waxed the MSM on a number of stories in the last two years, and this was the latest, despite the attempts of the biggest newspaper in town to downplay the Comrie story because they were flat-out beat on it by ON. Don't begrudge Wanye his time in the spotlight and the right to consume an extra can or two of Lysol this weekend in celebration.

#117 DK0
September 11 2009, 09:56AM

@ Robin Brownlee: Lysol comes in cans? I could never get past the plastic child lock bottles....

#118 Neil Sherwood
September 11 2009, 09:58AM

Robin Brownlee chimes in......been called a dink....a dink? Actually, I agree with Gretz, I just wanted to stir the pot a bit because-because it is awesome to see the reaction and horses circle as fast as they do on this site. And to create an ongoing discussion about Lesnar out of nowhere....good on ya folks.....I'm with you all the way. By the way Dyckster, you're the first to say he didn't like my humble blog. It's good to know that there are readers that believe my stuff is dumb. But, I won't change it, just like Gretz shouldn't change his. My site is about creating some kind of reaction, like my comments.

#119 David S
September 11 2009, 10:01AM

Neil Sherwood wrote:

You know that's a textbook definition of the word "troll", right?

#120 DK0
September 11 2009, 10:07AM

They have the entire game up on the oilers site now. Anyone find the Eberle 2nd goal? its gotta be somewhere around the 1:30-1:45 mark.... hxxp://oilers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=4&id=46113

#121 dyckster
September 11 2009, 10:09AM

David S wrote:

You know that’s a textbook definition of the word “troll”, right?

Jebus! You weren't kidding!

Straight from Encarta "online intransitive verb to lure other Internet users into sending responses to carefully designed incorrect statements"

Good on David...whoda thunk it?

#122 WTF
September 11 2009, 10:11AM

I hope this gets moved to a blog!

What is the deal with Terry Jones? Why is he so hell bent on certain players and Katz? This mornings SUN article crosses the line in saying fans will BOO Comrie. Not only is that inaccurate it is inciting the fans, much like he did with Poti. His other slant in that shows itself over and over again is the 'Poor me Katz will not give me an interview'. Jones figures Katz, aside from putting up more money than we can possibly fathom to buy the OIL, should make himself readily available at Jones beckon call for interviews. With Katz being reclusive, Jones will not drop it. I think the bitterness came when the Oilers moved the press parking further away.

#123 dyckster
September 11 2009, 10:16AM

dyckster wrote:

Good on David

Meant "Good on ya"

#124 DK0
September 11 2009, 10:21AM

DK0 wrote:

They have the entire game up on the oilers site now. Anyone find the Eberle 2nd goal? its gotta be somewhere around the 1:30-1:45 mark…. hxxp://oilers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=4&id=46113

Finally found it. fast forward to 1:59:00 and its about 10 seconds later. wish there was a better angle

#125 RossCreek
September 11 2009, 10:24AM

BigE57 wrote:

Why would Marleau waive his no trade clause to go from a so-called contender to a team that might battle for a playoff spot.

1. Its obvious San Jose is trying to dump him. Why stay? 2. His wife and her fam are from Killa Cali. 3. Marleau doesn't seem to be one for playing in high-pressure markets in Canada. 4. Still gets to frequent the beach. 5. His old GM Dean Lombardi is now in LA

#126 RossCreek
September 11 2009, 10:25AM

jeanshorts wrote:

encer should probably just stick to radio. Those awkward nods to the camera as Rod The Bod is talking are hilariously creepy.

Ever watch Kevin Quinn? Terrible.

#127 Robin Brownlee
September 11 2009, 10:25AM

WTF wrote:

Give the man a cigar.

#128 jeff
September 11 2009, 10:27AM

@ WTF: So why in the world would management make the decision to add another small, soft forward

This is the first part I that pissed me off. Comrie isn't soft.

Jones like other media out there, like to stir the pot. He is bitter that he never got the scoop. I noticed a couple times that his writings are writen with too much bias.

#129 R Kenny
September 11 2009, 10:30AM

First Eberle goal is at 1:12:40

#130 Ender the Dragon
September 11 2009, 10:37AM

jeff wrote:

I noticed a couple times that his writings are writen with too much bias.

Sometimes Jonesey's asked to report coverage on an event, sometimes he's asked to write opinion pieces instead. It's not always obvious which one he's doing, but his latest on Comrie is obviously an opinion piece.

#131 Big Poppa Oil
September 11 2009, 01:11PM

All i can say is Brownlee is my go to guy! He is ALWAYS right! I am sticking to that! Okay......Gregor has his days too......i think it's information overload.....my head hurts........who plays on the first line....what about the 2nd line....are the Oilers going to be able to score.....is Penner ready to play EVERY night....okay....take a deep breath Big Poppa....everything will become clear soon.....LOL

#132 The Towel Boy
September 11 2009, 01:46PM

jeff wrote:

Jones like other media out there, like to stir the pot.

Does that make him a troll?

#133 Future_GM
September 11 2009, 01:59PM

Robin Brownlee wrote:

onehitwonder wrote: Brownlee will be forced to make you his protoge, and refer to you as Wanyeson. No. I’ll be forced to bury my size 13 in Wanye’s ass if he doesn’t stop grinning and finish washing my SUV.

so after he's done washing your SUV and becomes your protege, can I wash his SUV to be his protege?

#134 jeff
September 11 2009, 02:01PM

@ The Towel Boy: Have you seen him he is too big to be considered a troll

#135 Harlie
September 11 2009, 02:35PM

jeff wrote:

@ The Towel Boy: Have you seen him he is too big to be considered a troll

and that's what she said!

#136 oilboy76
September 11 2009, 02:36PM

@ Fiveandagame: Lol! Too funny!

#137 Harlie
September 11 2009, 02:36PM

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wf2pP7T0Y

#138 DeepOil
September 11 2009, 02:53PM

Robin Brownlee wrote:

WTF wrote: His other slant in that shows itself over and over again is the ‘Poor me Katz will not give me an interview’. Jones figures Katz, aside from putting up more money than we can possibly fathom to buy the OIL, should make himself readily available at Jones beckon call for interviews. Give the man a cigar.

Katz does not give interviews until it is show time, but will text back and forth in between charter jet travels, maybe Terry Jones needs to become a facebook friend with Batman.

#139 Dominoiler
September 11 2009, 03:24PM

too awesome...

#140 ygmxnpco
October 10 2009, 07:01AM

PRBxPs hpxerdonwcit, [url=http://mckceqdjbybw.com/]mckceqdjbybw[/url], [link=http://yetnpduhbdxd.com/]yetnpduhbdxd[/link], http://pyvooeexxgor.com/