Gregor rings... Heatley stays in Ottawa

bingofuel
June 30 2009 08:47PM

tambo-sad

10:14pm MDT update: Heatley will not waive his no-trade clause. He stays in Ottawa, and won't come here.

Earlier tonight: Just got off the phone with Gregor:

"The Oilers have traded Dustin Penner, Ladislav Smid and Andrew Cogliano for Dany Heatley. This will add $2.1 million to the Oilers' payroll."

He also mentioned that Hossa talks with LA have broken off.

Finally, the handsome devil teased me with this one: the Oil aren't done dealing yet.

OH EM GEE

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#351 Wanye Gretz
July 01 2009, 02:02AM

humantorch wrote:

This whole mess makes me want to punch a baby.

Just got home from the bar and this is the first comment I read.

This had better turn out for the better. I'm not convinced Heatley is anything more than a head case. This is not in the best interests of this Ice Hockey Squadron at the present time.

#352 Shaun Doe
July 01 2009, 02:06AM

humantorch wrote:

This whole mess makes me want to punch a baby.

I am pretty sure this whole mess makes a baby want to punch other babies...

#353 erixon
July 01 2009, 02:07AM

As a Vikings fan, I don't think I can handle Brett Favre and Dany Heatley together.

lol.

Gregor, don't worry about it too much, everyone here is just dealing with the recoil of the non-deal, you know how rabid fans are here, emotions go from one extreme to the next, just keep up the good work. You break some good stuff in the future, and all will be forgotten. Time heals all wounds.

#354 Wanye Gretz
July 01 2009, 02:08AM

Porter wrote:

Very harsh… I wouldn’t want to be the one who has to explain all of this to Cogliano, Penner, & Smid.

Wow. That is the funniest thing I have read in so long.

*goes back to grinding teeth and kicking cat*

#355 erixon
July 01 2009, 02:10AM

Oh, and if that doesnt work for you, we can find out where Dany lives, and put a flaming back of shit on his door step and ring the doorbell.

#356 DanMan
July 01 2009, 02:12AM

I dont understand how everyone seems to have a hard on for cogliano.

He's no Patrick Kane or Jon Toews and never will be

He might be Antione Vermette or Matthew Lombardi but thats it. Scouts often talk about guys with high ceilings. I think about 25 goals is Cog's ceiling.

He's too small to be a winger. Every hockey fan in town seems to think winning faceoffs is more important than scoring goals and he's a 38% faceoff guy so he doesnt really help us at center.

To suggest that giving him up is too much for heatley is very shortsighted and bordering lunacy.

#357 Paul Travis
July 01 2009, 03:14AM

#358 Paul Travis
July 01 2009, 03:20AM

leftwinger9 wrote:

OK Edmonton, now who do you hate more? Pronger or Heatley?

jason gregor

#359 Oilerguyforlife
July 01 2009, 04:54AM

I just woke up and heard this so I sat on the toilet and had a big poop and cried

#360 Lofty
July 01 2009, 05:45AM

Okay... I slept on it and I have totally changed my mind. This toothless brat needs to get slapped around... screw him

#361 Garett
July 01 2009, 06:14AM

Heads up Oiler fans, we are used to this, we understand nobody wants to actually play in Edmonton, we will just have to start drafting really well. Heatley will not be any good to any team now, he may be sinking his own NHL ship!

#362 Lofty
July 01 2009, 07:26AM

Katz should bring Brian Marchment out of retirement so he can end this guys carrer.

#363 knobert
July 01 2009, 07:30AM

@ Paul Travis:

If your feelings get so hurt by people reporting the news, please get your news somewhere else!!

Personal attacks on the great writng staff here at ON are not warranted.

To Gregor,

Funny how the quick rise in ON popularity has brought on some gutless haters. Keep up the good work!

#364 myteammytown
July 01 2009, 07:37AM

Paul Travis wrote:

I think its a complete joke that Jason Gregor is frothing at the mouth to scoop the other guy down the dial that he prematurely announces this trade. Sounds like second class reporting. I was listening just before bed at 9:45pm and now I awake to this trade not being fulfilled. I switched to CHED to see if they were reporting the same and they claimed the trade was not done.

of course ched is going to say the deal wasnt done. they got scooped...

how was gregor to know heatley would say no?

Everybody pisses and moans for oilers info, especially insider info. We get an awesome, awesome "scoop" on one that ends up falling through. big f***ing deal.

fact: the deal was done and agreed upon, pending dany healty approving.

pointing the finger at gregor for this is comical

#365 Hemmertime
July 01 2009, 07:58AM

@ Paul Travis:

Would you prefer it went unreported, then you get to bitch that Tambo didnt make a hard enough pitch for Heatley, keep cheering for Dany at Worlds, and keep your high esteem of him?

I for one want up to the minute info, which we got. Im happy to know Tambo did precisely what I wanted (and got them to take Penner? wow) and pulled the deal, I am happy to know Heatley hates Edmonton, I am happy to know that he is sleeping it. Heatley is one of my favorite players in the NHL - I like the whole backstory as it unfolds if he slaps us in the face or not. If he rejects the trade, we know Tambo did what he could and more about the players personal feelings toward the city and then we can reciprocate those feeling whenever he plays here. If he accepts the trade, well, off to get a Heatley jersey immediately (and then watch us deal him to a team he hates because his NMC is nullified, ha, that would be funny too).

#366 Fish
July 01 2009, 07:59AM

What in the f*$k do we do now???????????????????????????

#367 rob
July 01 2009, 08:15AM

Well I went to bed angry last night and woke up really soured on the whole situation, actually in the nhl in general. I hope Tambo, Cogs, Penner and Smid can just let this one slide off their backs but I don't think it will be that easy. I guess Heatley hasnt said no or yes yet but I'm not so sure I would even want him now if he deosn't even want to be here. If he does say yes I give him a year before he asked to be moved again.

#368 Hemmertime
July 01 2009, 08:17AM

rob wrote:

If he does say yes I give him a year before he asked to be moved again.

His NMC would be nullified in this deal, and I doubt we would honor it like Visnovsky's (Ive heard we had the choice, altho I dont think we did). So if he asks to be moved again we wouldnt be in Ottawas position

#369 RossCreek
July 01 2009, 08:26AM

Here's an interesting timeline of events from Dan Tencer...

hXXp://www.630ched.com/Blogs/DanTencersBlog2/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10037795

#370 Hemmertime
July 01 2009, 08:30AM

Anyone else think Tencers "sources" are all TSN.ca?

#371 Hemmertime
July 01 2009, 08:31AM

I mean, where else could the kid meet his sources? Hes really been around a long time. Plus, his filtered info. So I guess Ill say tsn.ca and his boss/oiler affiliation

#372 Chris
July 01 2009, 09:33AM

myteammytown wrote:

of course ched is going to say the deal wasnt done. they got scooped… how was gregor to know heatley would say no?

I thought Gregor knew 110% sure that Heatley said YES! Every media outlet was reporting that the deal was on the table... most were reporting that all we were waiting for was for Heatley to waive the NMC. When Gregor reported the deal 110% done: I assumed he was saying Heatley waived the NMC...

I guess I'll look for unanimous confirmation from all media outlets before I call all my friends next time... But after all, I was just passing along info from a source that had never burned me before.

#373 Cam
July 01 2009, 11:18AM

DanMan wrote:

But sometimes he comes off as being arrogant and thinks he’s more knowledgeable than the “nameless, faceless” bloggers he always derides for talking about trade rumors.

Well, for the most part he IS more knowledgable than most of the callers. Usually when he calls someone down I am sitting in my car cheering him on. That is ENTERTAINMENT!! Usually the one's he calls down are usually saying something kinda stupid... or they are saying it in a way that invites the "critique".

#374 oil_fan_forever
July 01 2009, 11:50AM

take the trade, then send heatley to phoenix for turris and a dman

#375 Mike L
July 01 2009, 12:57PM

Chris wrote:

I guess I’ll look for unanimous confirmation from all media outlets before I call all my friends next time… But after all, I was just passing along info from a source that had never burned me before.

Yes because amongst your friends your rep is tarnished now isn't it? Get over yourself. Is the deal dead yet? What happens if they get Heatley, will all of you apologize. No, you'll say something like, well it wasn't done at the exact moment Gregor said it was. Comical.