Has Chris Pronger Been Traded to L.A.?

Jonathan Willis
June 12 2009 04:31PM

pronger

Has Chris Pronger been traded to the Los Angeles Kings for Jack Johnson and the 5th overall draft pick?

I’ve been updating this situation since Andy Strickland first broke the story, and at this point it’s an awfully tangled web, so I thought that it might be a good idea to list the two sides (“yes, the trade happened/is going to happen” and “no trade has not happened/Hockeybuzz is stupid/The Score isn’t a real network”) of the story, and link to any analysis.

Pronger Has Been Traded

• Andy Strickland believed that it happened, then his post was deleted, then a new post appeared that said something might happen but he doesn’t know what. I refuse to link to his current report for obvious reasons.
  • Steve Ludzik of The Score says it’s a done deal.

Pronger Has Not Been Traded

I Can Add

So, since I like reducing everything to math, here’s how I see it:

Dean Lombardi + Bob Murray + Chris Pronger + Canwest + Sportsnet + TSN >>>>>>> an iffy Andy Strickland + The Score

Given the current situation (you know, the day the Stanley Cup gets awarded) I wouldn’t expect to see Murray and Lombardi acknowledging the deal. On the other hand, I’d expect some verbal dancing; not vehement denials.

In other words, while there is a slight possibility that this trade happens, logic overwhelmingly says that the backtracking reporter and Canada’s #3 sports network are wrong, and everybody involved is right.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Shaun
June 12 2009, 04:37PM

Pronger is still a douchebag

#2 Rusty Shackleford
June 12 2009, 04:43PM

I'm guessing this leaked too early and it's being covered up until after game 7. At least we'll find out soon enough. If I was the Kings, I'd be demanding the Ducks 1st at least. Pronger for Johnson and #5 makes no sense to me. Pronger and Doughty would make a fine #1 pairing, but rakeboy doesn't have a contract for long enough.

#3 Dustin Penner's 2nd Chin
June 12 2009, 04:47PM

The only math that matters, when it comes to Pronger, is: Lauren Pronger + Los Angeles = :) ⇒ Chris Pronger = an LA King

Seriously, true or not, I could see it happening. -Would be a brutal deal for the Kings. -Would be a great deal for the Ducks. With the emergence of Hiller and Bobby Ryan, talk about a successful mini-rebuild!

#4 Librarian Mike
June 12 2009, 04:54PM

Shaun wrote:

Pronger is still a douchebag

Lombardi refused to comment on that as well.

*mentally filing anything to do with Pronger onto my 'don't care' pile*

#5 Ender the Dragon
June 12 2009, 04:59PM

I would be more willing to believe this story if there had been another story run prior about how Dean Lombardi, a vocal critic of helmet laws, had recently had reason to reconsider that stance after striking his unprotected melon at high speed.

This trade makes zero sense, so while I would like to believe it true, I have to compare it to the fact that I'd also like to believe that Santa's coming to see me this winter, Wanye is a bored millionaire who frequently rewards witty posts with cash, and a project is underway to erase all reference to Rosanne Barr from the annals of North American history.

#6 Milli
June 12 2009, 05:05PM

Can't be confirmed until tomorrow as per the finals trade freeze (I think Ferraro said this). TSN also said that Crawford wasn't gonna be the head coach in Dallas, but guess what?

#7 The Menace
June 12 2009, 05:08PM

Shaun wrote:

Pronger is still a douchebag

Has anyone disputed this today?

#8 Mike
June 12 2009, 05:18PM

I just heard Gregor say that Wanye will buy someone from the NATION beers tonight if they go to Walk About Pub tonight...Did i hear this correctly and where is the Walk ABout Pub...

#9 RossCreek
June 12 2009, 05:19PM

I'm currently believing this trade to be at least partially true. I'd expect they swap 1st rounder's though. Whats this I hear about Nick Lidstrom just about having a nut fatality. Thats why he missed games last round?

#10 Joey Moss
June 12 2009, 05:26PM

Rusty Shackleford wrote:

I’m guessing this leaked too early and it’s being covered up until after game 7. At least we’ll find out soon enough. If I was the Kings, I’d be demanding the Ducks 1st at least. Pronger for Johnson and #5 makes no sense to me. Pronger and Doughty would make a fine #1 pairing, but rakeboy doesn’t have a contract for long enough.

umm... the 5th overall pick is the ducks first round pick; they aren't offering their fifth round pick. i thought that was pretty obvious.

#11 Jon
June 12 2009, 05:30PM

Jonathan Willis wrote:

On the other hand, I’d expect some verbal dancing; not vehement denials

Why's that Lombardi made one of those vehement denials when asked about O'Sullivan being traded, and he admitted that he flat out lied afterwards. He's lied once to protect his assets, so why wouldn't you expect him to do it again?

#12 Phil
June 12 2009, 05:36PM

Shaun wrote:

Pronger is still a douchebag

P0ast of teh day.

#13 RossCreek
June 12 2009, 05:36PM

In the words of JOEY MOSS... GRETZKY! @ Joey Moss. I think what he was trying to say was that the Kings should ask for the Ducks 1st along with Pronger for Johnson and the 5th overall pick.

#14 RossCreek
June 12 2009, 05:40PM

Some talk on Calgary radio that if Brent doesn't come to Calgary that Dave Tippett is/should be heavily considered. IMO, if its not Brent, it should now be Tippett rather than Daryl. They don't seem to think there will be any trouble getting the go ahead from Lou on Brent though.

#15 Ersberg
June 12 2009, 05:49PM

Many of us Kings fan believe this a three-way deal between ANA, LA, and OTT. Naturally, Heatley would be the target for LA.

I personally believe it could be three-way deal between ANA, LA, and TB, with Vinny being the target for LA.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

#16 David S
June 12 2009, 05:55PM

Jonathan - you forgot one paragraph, titled..."Nobody cares that Chris Pronger was traded."

#17 RossCreek
June 12 2009, 05:57PM

Dreger is reporting the Flyers are now talking to Robert Esche to partner up with Emery.

#18 Dirk Hoag
June 12 2009, 06:27PM

What is definitely true is that the trade hasn't happened - otherwise it would show up through the traditional media and on the NHL's site. Strickland at least reported it as "in the works", but The Score put it as a done, completed deal. That's a pretty big difference...

#19 Bob Cob
June 12 2009, 06:42PM

Shaun wrote:

Pronger is still a douchebag

Truer words have never been spoken, I second that motion.

#20 RossCreek
June 12 2009, 07:42PM

Just a thought, but I got a feeling that Brian Burke could be in on this deal. He wants to move up and needs a number 1 goalie. With the recent hiring of Francois Allaire, could Burke flip Kaberle and the 7th for Giguere and the 5th?

#21 heavyd
June 12 2009, 07:45PM

@ RossCreek: Maybe thats why it hasn't gone through yet, maybe it a three team deal.

#22 Harlie
June 12 2009, 08:16PM

Shaun wrote:

Pronger is still a gap toothed douchebag

FIXED

#23 Hoodlum
June 12 2009, 09:11PM

I can't believe nobody has commented on the fact the Pronger is a giant douche, LOL

#24 JRocks247
June 12 2009, 10:14PM

Hoodlum wrote:

I can’t believe nobody has commented on the fact the Pronger is a giant douche, LOL

This has been confirmed (e5)

Pronger is president of the exclusive "CLUB LA DOUCHE" also featuring Mike Comrie

#25 Dan
June 12 2009, 11:13PM

I could see the deal perhaps being true, but to announce the deal on the same day as Game 7 of the SCF seems rather tasteless. I'm thinking thats why everyone ran for cover.

#26 Garett
June 13 2009, 07:38AM

I not only heard Pronger got traded, but that he was also just elected the mayor of Doucheland! What a putz @ss looser douche weasel.

#27 RossCreek
June 13 2009, 08:06AM

Ya, to think that Pronger guy just listened to his wife instead of worrying about what the millions... AND MILLIONS of Oilers fans would think. *whats that honey? Oh i gotta go, the ol' lady's calling me to do something. Does that make me a douche?*

#28 Archaeologuy
June 13 2009, 10:38AM

@ RossCreek: It does if worrying what your wife cared about things didnt matter before, and if you then proceed to lie about those fans "breaking into your house and burning your furniture, including your baby's crib" on a nationally syndicated uber popular radio show.

#29 Heazues
June 13 2009, 11:52AM

ya i wasnt one of those people that demanded an answer to why he wanted out. i didnt buy into all the BS rumors. who are we to pry? its his personal life.

but goddamn when i heard him lying on national radio i was PISSED! its one thing to be selfish and recind on a contract, its another thing to go and make it sound like the city rose up and burned his house to the ground.

oh ya, back on topic: Prongers a douchebag! :D

#30 Rusty Shackleford
June 13 2009, 02:16PM

I'm not sure if I'm alone on this, but I think Chris Pronger is a monumental douche. Maybe it's just me, but I'd vote him douchebag of the millennium.

#31 Gary Bellman
June 15 2009, 12:33PM

I@ Dustin Penner's 2nd Chin: Dustin Penner's 2nd Chin wrote:

I have heard that Johnson is a bit of a headcase but not from reliable/serious sources, but still another terrific move by Murray. Adds Whitney and Wisnieski so Pronger can be moved and then turns Pronger into the 5th pick in this draft year with Johnson as a bonus? Are you kidding me? Whether he keeps the 5th pick or parlays it ("Hello, Burkey?") he's got a young and solid D with (it appears)#27 as the anchor/mentor, what looks like a solid goalie in Hiller (with Giggy as trade bait -- "Hello, Burkey?") and Perry-Getzlaf-Ryan for a #1 line/1st PP unit. Wow -- not bad, not bad at all.