Sundin... get in the pressbox!

Brian O'Neill
April 21 2009 12:05PM

sundin_pokerstars

[Update: Sundin is officially scratched, Hansen will slot in. Salo is out Ossi is in]

Sundin knows when to fold 'em... right? He won't play tonight, he gets that we have a 3-0 series lead over a devastated St. Louis team... right? Considering it took him a month to know when its feels right to start playing, clearly he should have a firm grip on this lower body injury. CBC said yes he'll play; TSN said no he won't. Now the Canucks are officially stating that he is a game time decision. Seriously, the Blues have given up, Kariya is not even skating today. Unless Murray is trying to pull a rabbit out of his ass, by throwing damaged goods on the ice without a warmup.

In St. Louis, the fans and the players are currently doing the "you did your best" talk. St. Louis had a great run and they can look forward to years of good hockey. In St. Louis, however, it is extremely unlikely that the Canucks can lose this series. In fact only two teams in NHL history have come back from a 3-0 deficit. The '42 Leafs and the '75 Islanders are the only ones that have pulled this miracle off.

As much as every person in Vancouver likes to bitch and say "Sundin is a waste, we don't need him," newsflash: we will. We can beat the Blues without him, but teams like Detroit, Anaheim, and maybe even Chicago are a whole other story.

Regardless of whether the decision is Sundin's or Vingeualt's, his ass had better be in a suit at 5pm tonight. If he gets hurt playing in what is almost an exhibition game at this point I'll start cheering for the Leafs... we'll not really, but you get my point.

0dc3dcae01b8b534c221fd4e901d84dc
Brian is a portly hockey genius who lives in the mountains and dreams of a team that can make it beyond the second round of the playoffs.
#1 Sundin…. get your ass in the pressbox! « Nucks Hub
April 21 2009, 12:10PM

[...] Sundin knows when to fold ‘em…. right? He won’t play tonight, he gets that we have a 3-0 series lead over a devastated St. Louis team… right? Considering it took him a month to know when its feels right to start playing, clearly he should have a firm grip on this lower body injury. Continue Reading [...]

#2 Jonathan Willis
April 21 2009, 02:12PM

Completely agree.

#3 Spooner
April 21 2009, 03:20PM

Part of me thinks that he's been nursing a nagging injury for a while and just re-aggravated it in Game 2. The way he wasn't moving his feet in game 1 (or the latter part of the season for that matter) just makes me wonder. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I do agree that for the Canucks to come out of the west, Sundin will like have to be a big factor at some point.

#4 Brian O'Neill
April 21 2009, 03:25PM

@ Spooner: I never really expected too much in the speed deptartment from Mats. I expect more dominance behind the net, and some bone shattering hits. Kind of like Todd Bertuzzi circa 2002, and we all know he didn't do back-checking.

#5 Spooner
April 21 2009, 03:40PM

@ Brian O'Neill: yeah - I didn't expect a whole bunch of speed either, and I'm not one of the fans that's been hard on Sundin. In my opinion his arrival completely changed the complexion of this team and was the largest factor in their turn around. Still though, I remember watching games on HNIC (even last year) where Mats was absolutely dominant. I've only seen a few glimpses of that since he arrived in Van. I'm not sure if that's a confidence thing, a being out of the game for a while thing, or maybe (lately) and injury thing. Whatever the reason, I hope he can conjure up some of that fire he showed in TO, because if he can...and the rest of the team can keep playing as well as they are...

#6 Sedinz
April 22 2009, 09:32AM

This is just turning into a PAINFUL signing.

WHO CARES THOUGH