GDB 17: some interesting line changes

Jason Gregor
November 15 2008 10:44AM

Some interesting line up moves for tonight’s game. It looks like Craig MacTavish has decided to send two veterans a message, as Kyle Brodziak and Dustin Penner will be in the press box tonight, and Robert Nilsson is back on the second line. Thanks to Ryan Rishaug from TSN, here are the lines.

Moreau – Gagner – Hemsky Nilsson – Horcoff – Pisani Reddox – Cogliano – Cole Pouliot – Boulerice – Stortini

And it looks like Roloson will start.

The Penner benching is no surprise. He has shown virtually no emotion in any game this season. Penner has to learn to use his 240-pound frame to his advantage. Sure, he will never be a mean power forward, but he can’t be afraid to lean on an opposing player from time-to-time.

Brodziak benching can be explained by his lack of wanting to get involved physically against the Leafs. Twice in that game there were scrums that Matt Stajan and then Hagman both put a glove in his face and he didn’t react. I don’t think they expect him to be an agitator, but he can’t get pushed around by those types of players. Yesterday MacTavish said, “If a guy has zero across the scoresheet, he has to find a way to get involved. Rarely do other teams get annoyed playing us.”

Clearly that was a shot at both Penner and Brodziak.

Expect some fireworks tonight vs the Avs. With Tucker, Laperriere, Mcleod and McCormick in the lineup, you can bet that the message will be loud and clear, and the Oilers will play with some emotion and some sort of physical presence.

—Listen to Gregor weekdays from 3 to 6pm on TEAM 1260 Edmonton Sports Radio or online at www.justagame.ca.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#151 NoPantsTuesday
November 15 2008, 10:52PM

"Didn’t a team switch goalies for the shootout once?"

Toronto switched goalies this season and put in Cujo. Bizarre move.

#152 jeanshorts
November 15 2008, 10:52PM

....I don't even...I can't muster....I just...LETS BURN THIS MOTHER DOWN!!!!!!

#153 baggedmilk
November 15 2008, 10:53PM

JS, I've got my matches and MacT has the rum. I'm on my way.

#154 jeanshorts
November 15 2008, 10:55PM

Who the hell told Pete Budaj that he was a number one goalie? What is this? First the leafs get blown out after destroying us, now this crap. Losing to the worst team in the NW. Should we just enter the Tavares sweepstakes now, or?

#155 baggedmilk
November 15 2008, 11:01PM

Horcoff really earned that contract extension tonight.

#156 Gord
November 15 2008, 11:03PM

Savard and Melrose have already been fired this year, maybe MacT will be next? We can hope, right??

I know one thing, Katz isn't going to be happy. After tonight's game, Horc might find himself traded to Siberia for some rotten cariboo meat and a used colostomy bag.

#157 David S
November 15 2008, 11:05PM

How in the...

What the...

nklD;OIkjfop;LEJQNRX3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

#158 baggedmilk
November 15 2008, 11:06PM

Dude we've had to put up with MacT for 8 years now. They won't fire him. I've been calling for it for 2 years now and it never seems to happen. No matter how badly we suck, giving away points is something that the Oilers organization just loves to do. That should have been 2 points for the Oilers and 0 for the Avalanche yet we always find a way to lose.

#159 Gord
November 15 2008, 11:08PM

Lowe was never going to fire MacT, but Tambellini just might. Pleasure me and go along with my fantasy...

#160 baggedmilk
November 15 2008, 11:10PM

Believe me, I would be back flips if I woke up tomorrow to see that a change happened. Unfortunately, MacT is the poster boy for job security.

#161 Gord
November 15 2008, 11:14PM

Apparently consistantly missing the playoffs is his recipe for security

#162 msg
November 16 2008, 12:53AM

Was at the game tonight...zero physical presence...Horcoff was terrible, hopefuly he gets a one-way ticket to the press-box. This team is not looking to good right now - Not responding to the coach...

#163 Antony Ta
November 16 2008, 01:47AM

I think MacT can use some help in the offense department so that he can focus on getting our defensive zone work out of the NHL sewer (see PK). We haven't really had an offense-first kind of guy since Craig Simpson left for the CBC.

Denis Savard might be pricey but I think Katz has the pockets to hire an assisant coach/PP specialist...

#164 Joey Moss
November 16 2008, 10:16PM

the oilers have stated they wont have more assistant coaches than the already have. otherwise Rob Daum (who had his job completely jacked by worthless Buchberger) would still be working with the players instead of scouting.