GDB8: Roli to take on the Bruins

Jason Gregor
October 27 2008 01:33PM

Dwayne Roloson will get his second start of the season tonight. What does this mean?

This is more about Coach MacTavish being frustrated with Mathieu Garon, than it is the Oilers showcasing Roloson. Garon didn’t look good in Vancouver, and he let in a soft third goal in Colorado. The Oilers need him to be better if he’s to be their everyday #1 goalie.

Starting Roloson also is a sign that the coach doesn’t have confidence in young Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers just yet. If he did, tonight would be an ideal time to start the 24-year-old.

This is a huge game for the Oilers. A win puts them two games over .500 before their longest road trip of the season. Then all they would have to do is go 2-4-1 on the road trip and return home .500 after 15 games. If the Oilers are .500 or better after 15 games, with 12 of them on the road they will be ecstatic.

If Roloson plays well, this will muddy the goaltending picture even more, and it will also push Garon to be better. When asked what has been the difference in the last three losses compared to the first four games MacTavish was quick with a response, “Goaltending and special teams, plain and simple.”

That sounds like a coach who is expecting more out of his goalies, and his decision to start Roloson proves that.

Pisani back in

After missing two games with a sore back, Fernando Pisani draws back in centering Ethan Moreau and Eric Cole. Pisani tweaked his back on a snapshot in the morning skate in Chicago, and has been getting treatment for the past four days. He says he feels fine and it shouldn’t be a reoccurring problem.

It looks like Zack Stortini will sit out tonight, as he was the last player on the ice at practice this morning. And Jason Strudwick won’t play due to a sore shoulder.

October and November games matter

After 20 games last season, only one western team that wasn’t in the playoffs at that time (Anaheim) was able to make it in. The Oilers need to be in the playoff race come the first 20 games, or it will be much harder to make up ground. The Oilers schedule could make it easier to make up ground, but they have to be close after 20 games.

—Listen to Gregor weekdays from 3 to 6 pm on the TEAM 1260 or online at www.justagame.ca.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 baggedmilk
October 27 2008, 01:51PM

Gregor, good news that goggles is back in the line up tonight. I'm still waiting for Gatorade to release the Pisani formula that tastes exactly like meat balls. Tonight could be the night that finally convinces them.

#2 Fiveandagame
October 27 2008, 02:08PM

"man, who saw this coming?"

I dunno meatball flavored gatorade has always made sense to me.

#3 Moony
October 27 2008, 02:17PM

Jason,

Do you know if the Oil are looking to change the defensive pairings at all? Will Smid play alongside Staios when he draws into the lineup?

#4 baggedmilk
October 27 2008, 02:31PM

Both of you know you'd drink it. Let's not kid ourselves.

#5 Fiveandagame
October 27 2008, 02:32PM

goggles Pisan presents MEATORADE!® Finally meat balls and a sport drink together!

#6 Jason Gregor
October 27 2008, 03:29PM

Moony,

Smid will play with Staios. I don't see the other pairings being split up any time soon.

#7 Smokin' Ray Burnt
October 27 2008, 03:35PM

I think Mac T is giving Roli a chance because he spent a lot of $$$$ for the Fuhr replica pads. Might as well let the guy wear them at least on before he is traded.

With Deslaures at 1-0. Don't you think he should get another shot at starting? I do. But I'm not there at practice so I dunno.

#8 Smokin' Ray Burnt
October 27 2008, 03:36PM

And Big Mac is in and Stortini is out. Mac T is starting to show his preference. I like it.

#9 freeze
October 27 2008, 04:12PM

Hopefully Cole ties down tonight and Grebs limits the shitanusly® bad giveaways.

#10 Fiveandagame
October 27 2008, 04:24PM

Freeze-

As one of Wayne's new hired Goons, I am obliged to tell you, you now owe Wayne 25¢ for use of the"S"® word.

Pay up or Dr. Randy Greggggg and I will personally taunt you from the street...oh and what a taunting it will be.

#11 jdrevenge
October 27 2008, 04:38PM

It's a little scary that goaltending would be considered a problem right now.

Roli going into this game seems like a worse bet than Garon. He's morphed into a Conklin style goalie. Good positionally but horrible side to side and has a slow glove.

Is Mac sending him a message?

#12 BUCK75
October 27 2008, 04:48PM

It make you wonder what the eff is going on when Roli (your back-up # 3?) is starting one of the most important games of the young season.

Classic MacT - hopefully that's gut feeling isn't an ulcer acting up.

Roli better show up tonight, or I think we might have a bigger goalie problem than us minnions want to think.

#13 jeanshorts
October 27 2008, 04:55PM

Lest we forget that while the Oilers played possibly their worst game of the season in Chicago, Roloson didn't play THAT bad. He had a lot of rubber fired at him and virtually no one to help him out. So I'd like to think that if at least 4 dmen show up tonight, then we might not be bad off with him between the pipes.

#14 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 05:29PM

Well Smid is in, Gagne is on the first line Power Play unit and Old man Roli is tending the pipes. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I can only think of one more thing that can be done and that is applying the OilersNinja personal guarantee the Oil win tonight. This carries more clout then any "lock of the week" or "shoe in"

Oilers win 6-2 Gagne with 3 points

I also predict SmacIntyre delivering one of his famous beat downs on Mr. Thorton

#15 jeanshorts
October 27 2008, 05:33PM

Dear God,

Please protect Milan Lucic tonight. Don't let him score any goals and get any helpers, but don't allow him to do something stupid like putting his face in front of Smac's fists. I would like to continue to watch him put Leafs through the glass for years to come.

Big ups.

#16 Wanye Gretz
October 27 2008, 05:47PM

Anyone who is giving bigups to God one hour and fourteen minutes before gametime is on the side of victory.

#17 charlie
October 27 2008, 05:54PM

I want everyone to relax, the Oilers WILL WIN TONIGHT. I know this because i am NOT getting the PPV, and the last time I didn't get a PPV the Oil won in a shootout in St. Louis.

It will be tough not to watch, but it is for the good of the team...go Oilers!!!

#18 matt
October 27 2008, 06:04PM

we are notorious for not doing well when the game is on PPV. And i think we lost to boston the last two times we played them. Nevertheless, go oil.

#19 Travis Dakin
October 27 2008, 06:51PM

I'm going to watch the game at my brothers house. So, me not paying for the game is like it isn't a PPV right? That's the way I am approaching this.

#20 Wanye Gretz
October 27 2008, 07:01PM

Oh great the PPV telecast just started and it has no sound.

I better get a $0.02 refund

#21 baggedmilk
October 27 2008, 07:02PM

May the October 27th Justice League Rise

#22 New Guy
October 27 2008, 07:04PM

RISE AND TAKE ARMS JUSTICE LEAGUE

#23 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 07:05PM

I have no sound either Wanye. For once in my life I actually want to hear what Gene is saying.

So this is what Helen Keller half feels like

#24 The Towel Boy
October 27 2008, 07:05PM

Is anyone else's PPV broadcast from NESN...the Bahstin people?

#25 Smokin' Ray Burnt
October 27 2008, 07:05PM

Why am I ALWAYS disapointed with the PPV? Can they EVER GET ONE RIGHT????

#26 The Towel Boy
October 27 2008, 07:06PM

Oh, and TB...Present and armed.

#27 Adam
October 27 2008, 07:10PM

rage consumes me... where is the sound?

#28 Wanye Gretz
October 27 2008, 07:16PM

Q: Who is taller Chara or Shaq?

A: Shaq

Q: Who is better from the freethrow line?

A: Chara

Q: Who is a better rapper Chara or Shaq?

A: Chara

Q: Who dons the icy hot patch better?

A: Shaq

#29 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 07:18PM

Come on Gagner I predicted three points for you!

#30 The Towel Boy
October 27 2008, 07:19PM

Q: Who looks better in a Genie costume?

A: Neither

#31 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 07:20PM

hahahahah chara

#32 Wayne Gretz
October 27 2008, 07:21PM

I disagree Shaq as a genie looks quite fetching

#33 The Towel Boy
October 27 2008, 07:21PM

#34 baggedmilk
October 27 2008, 07:22PM

While you guys are watching my beloved Gene Principe, I'm watching an internet streaming version of the game that is in Russian. Contrary to my prior beliefs I don't understand as much Russian as I thought.

#35 The Towel Boy
October 27 2008, 07:22PM

What are they saying about the goat?...in russian..

#36 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 07:22PM

I am tired of everyone talking about Hemsky...he doesnt shot, he shoots to much, He is missing a tooth..

stop it

#37 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 07:23PM

i know

bah bah niet sminoff goat karl marx

#38 The Towel Boy
October 27 2008, 07:23PM

he got stabbed in the neck with a broken bottle...

#39 baggedmilk
October 27 2008, 07:24PM

As far as I can tell his favorite kind of ice cream is cookie dough and he has a rash that resembles continental Australia.

#40 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 07:24PM

yikes

#41 jim
October 27 2008, 07:24PM

Anyone here who is watching this on the PPV that can give an honest assessment of how they're playing after the 1st period would be much appreciated. You never really know with Rod.

#42 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 07:27PM

he also once walked his dog as if it was a vacuum cleaner ...............

#43 Rammer
October 27 2008, 07:27PM

There's an oilers symbol on Roli's mask... weird.

#44 baggedmilk
October 27 2008, 07:27PM

I told you not to bother me when I'm cleaning my room.

#45 mjsh
October 27 2008, 07:27PM

no sound on the ppv..yikes

#46 OilersNinja
October 27 2008, 07:27PM

Here is a recap

Chara Big

Souray pretty

#47 Captain Planet
October 27 2008, 07:29PM

I hope Cole remembered to tie his jersey done.

nice eye

#48 baggedmilk
October 27 2008, 07:30PM

Kessel's one nut gives him an unfair advantage in the aerodynamics department.

#49 The Towel Boy